Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
clr

Smile Slick Disk (teflon plate) for 5th wheel

I have been RVing for many years now but I have a burning 5th wheel hitch question. I have always used a slick disk on the 5th wheel hitch instead of grease. Well its time to replace the disk now. I find that there are three sizes of disk for 5th wheel camper use 8 inch, 10 inch and 12 inch. So how do you know what size disk is correct to use on your combination of 5th wheel pin box and hitch model? No where can I find the answer on the net. It appears to me that it is determined by the model of the hitch but like I said no real answer.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
Always Learning

I'd measure across the width of my pin box capture plate (is that the right term? the flat part of the pin box on the camper..).

Whatever size that is, I'd go for the disk that is closest in size.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
clr

Well that is sort of what I decided to do also, mine is close to 12 inches so I think that is correct for me. I call that part the pin box. But some descriptions seem to go by the hitch instead.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
I have been RVing for many years now but I have a burning 5th wheel hitch question. I have always used a slick disk on the 5th wheel hitch instead of grease. Well its time to replace the disk now. I find that there are three sizes of disk for 5th wheel camper use 8 inch, 10 inch and 12 inch. So how do you know what size disk is correct to use on your combination of 5th wheel pin box and hitch model? No where can I find the answer on the net. It appears to me that it is determined by the model of the hitch but like I said no real answer.
You would need to measure your kin pin. Hitchweb sells 5th wheel slip disks:

They come in various sizes, if you have any questions I am sure they can help.
Sallyford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel