Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Papi

slider defects

I am about to present my dealer with a four page history of my Reese 16K slider problems. Essentially it won't slide, has severely bent the front rail from severe lurching when it does "let go" and has actually begun to bend the center of the truck bed upwards. It even locked itself to the pin once requiring me to separate the top and bottom parts of the hitch so I could move the truck. Only tried to slide 3 times - all failures. Hitch is only about 6 months old. Anyone have similar disasters? What was done or how did you resolve your problems? I am in need of similar histories. Needless to say I am extremely distraught!
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #2

Did you extend the landing gear to relieve the pressure off the hitch when trying to let reposition?
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
Papi

Hi! I may have on the last occasion...it all happened too quickly to recall. I am sure I did not on the other two. I was told it should work either way. Also, I have hydraulic levelers and messing them up could be really bad.
now in same place.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #4

I also use a Reese 16k slider. The first problem I had was I installed the pins backwards (the 4 pins that hold the hitch to the rails). The pins have to face "out" with the clips on the outside of the rails. I thought by having the pins on the inside of the rails they would be more secure from prying fingers, but the hitch will not slide. Then I sprayed the rollers and other moving parts liberally with Safariland Break Free CLP. Now the hitch is movable by hand.
mike2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think that it's the same square tube slider as on my 15K Pro Series. I find that a push or pull in the opposite direction allows it to release easier.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Papi

update folks

Thanks dave monica mike et al! I am going to dealer wed and they will be installing new hitch from the truck bed up. I am paying difference and have chosen to replace with 20K. This gives me more headroom and has elite type head now. Hoping this will eliminate my problems...especially if this one is properly lubed etc. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. Also actually discovered the whole install and operation instructions on the web so that makes me feel better too. Here's hoping!
now in same place.

Tags
slide