Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #1

Sliding vs Fixed hitch, please help!

Salutations,

Current setup is a chevy 2500hd duramax with a 6.5ft bed to tow wildcat312bhx (front end is rounded) and I am told I don't need a slider hitch assembly. However after some research i cant seem to get a straight answer as to which is required. Hitch is not installed yet. Anybody with a similar setup able to advise.

Much appreciated
Dan

2013 Chev 2500HD Duramax
2014 Wildcat312BHX
Pashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #2

You probably don't need a slider. You also probably don't need fire insurance on your house. Both the slider and the insurance are for those unexpected situations that you hope will not occur.

With the rounded front on the 5er you will be able to turn farther than if it were not rounded, but still not a full 90º. As long as you remember that you will be ok. If you forget, and try to turn 90º, you will do considerable damage to the 5er and to the truck.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #3

I have a Columbus and tow with a GMC with a short bed. I have a B & H companion hitch. I can get 90 deg turn and stay out of the cab. Mine is an 05 so different body style. I have talked to others that have never used there slider hitch. It is better to have and not need than need and not have. I went with that hitch because I had the turnover ball in the truck already.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
phat phrog stunt crew

i bought a slider for my 08 ccsb 2500 hd. bought it on the chance i may need one day. havent needed yet, but you never know. its cheap insurance for peace of mind.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #5

I had to have a slide hitch on the last camper because it was a older model with a straight pin, but my new camper has an angle pin as most do now so I never have to use slide again not sure about the cost difference between the slide and non slide, my guess you will never need to slide the hitch
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #6

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashman View Post
Salutations,

Current setup is a chevy 2500hd duramax with a 6.5ft bed to tow wildcat312bhx (front end is rounded) and I am told I don't need a slider hitch assembly. However after some research i cant seem to get a straight answer as to which is required. Hitch is not installed yet. Anybody with a similar setup able to advise.

Much appreciated
Dan

2013 Chev 2500HD Duramax
2014 Wildcat312BHX
We just went through the same process buying a 2009 32 ft Cedar Creek Silver Back, some hitch dealers recommended the slider while Forest Rivers own video presentation recommended a standard hitch, we contacted a local company that installs hitches and together we found that the Silver Back could make 90 degree turns without the slider. I think the manufacturer should give you the best advice. Good luck!
emmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch