Old 03-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Site Team

Slight dilemma

My wife and I went permanent a few years ago. We started with a pop-up, then moved to a TT and just last year bought a 5th wheel (Palimino Sabre 36qbok-7). We've had a Chevy Suburban for the past 10 years or so to pull our trailers although since we've gone permanent we havenít traveled anywhere with our trailer. My job used to be a factor in that as well but thatís another story.

Our thinking was that if we ever needed to move the trailer for any reason, we could. Although pretty much anyone else at the campground could move it for us too. The campground has trucks and tractors to move trailers around as well. Which was needed last spring when the campground flooded. The campground has flooded pretty badly about 3 times in the last 15 years, so being able to move the trailers with little notice is always a consideration.

So now that we have a fiver, we donít actually have any way to move it. The campground doesn't either. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a truck but we really donít want to lose the seating space of the Suburban. We have 3 girls and they like to bring friends camping. Add two dogs and we fill the suburban up pretty fast.

I could give up my car and use the truck as my daily driver but we still have a couple of years left on the loan and Iím not sure I want to essentially double my gas usage. I only drive about 3 miles to work so it wouldn't kill me butÖ

Iím also debating what would be the absolute minimum amount of truck I could get? The trailer would probably only need to be moved once every few years and only a few hundred feet at most. Would a 1500 manage it or would I have to go to a 2500?

Our other option (which would probably be cheaper but more work) is to get some 7Ē x 9Ē railroad ties and block the trailer up so that it would be above the water line. It sits up pretty high as it is and it may have survived the flood last year but it would've been close. Our TT sat a little lower. This is something a few other campers have done. The problem with that is if we ever do decide to get a truck and travel with the trailer, it would be a pain to get it back down again.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

Old 03-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #2

if you don't ever move it, i wouldn't buy a truck.

Is there some other campground person who has a fiver? If its being moved for flooding, i am sure that other people are having to move theirs. It would be cheaper to pay somebody $200 buck to move in an emergency then buy a truck for those rare times.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
My wife and I went permanent a few years ago. We started with a pop-up, then moved to a TT and just last year bought a 5th wheel (Palimino Sabre 36qbok-7). We've had a Chevy Suburban for the past 10 years or so to pull our trailers although since we've gone permanent we havenít traveled anywhere with our trailer. My job used to be a factor in that as well but thatís another story.

Our thinking was that if we ever needed to move the trailer for any reason, we could. Although pretty much anyone else at the campground could move it for us too. The campground has trucks and tractors to move trailers around as well. Which was needed last spring when the campground flooded. The campground has flooded pretty badly about 3 times in the last 15 years, so being able to move the trailers with little notice is always a consideration.

So now that we have a fiver, we donít actually have any way to move it. The campground doesn't either. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a truck but we really donít want to lose the seating space of the Suburban. We have 3 girls and they like to bring friends camping. Add two dogs and we fill the suburban up pretty fast.

I could give up my car and use the truck as my daily driver but we still have a couple of years left on the loan and Iím not sure I want to essentially double my gas usage. I only drive about 3 miles to work so it wouldn't kill me butÖ

Iím also debating what would be the absolute minimum amount of truck I could get? The trailer would probably only need to be moved once every few years and only a few hundred feet at most. Would a 1500 manage it or would I have to go to a 2500?

Our other option (which would probably be cheaper but more work) is to get some 7Ē x 9Ē railroad ties and block the trailer up so that it would be above the water line. It sits up pretty high as it is and it may have survived the flood last year but it would've been close. Our TT sat a little lower. This is something a few other campers have done. The problem with that is if we ever do decide to get a truck and travel with the trailer, it would be a pain to get it back down again.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?
Would that be from the kishwaukee river??
I've seen some site built up as you described., some pretty high up.
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #4

A bit off topic but I would make sure you are insured. Worst case scenario is your camper is in a flood and the insurance company buys you a new camper. This option is cheaper than a new truck also.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

If you only move it a few hundred feet every few years and can't find someone to do it for you, about any 1/2 T truck would do.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #6

I have a friend that just went seasonal and sold his truck. he just asked one of the neighbors and they obliged him. I have heard of people going to dealers and asking them for help. I was at my dealer the other day and there was a guy asking just that, they agreed to do it, they bought from there and the dealer set up a time to do it and only charged them for gas. I have heard of people renting trucks but that may be hard to find. Or search craigslist, there is a guy here in utah that rents his trailers and trucks, just an idea.

Being in your situation, where you know you are not going to tow and would only need it for emergencies I would deal with the hassle of finding someone rather than buying a truck for that purpose. It may be a hassle but the hassle would be worth it to me. I would start the process now and talk with neighbors or other campgrounds and try to befriend them and then ask them to do you a favor, offer some sort of compensation, even if you pay a few hundred bucks once a year that is cheaper than a truck payment of a few hundred bucks every months for a few years.

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Had a neighbor at the cg ask me last fall for a tow. Yep sure thing, Then it was pizza n beer and campfire jokes.
Seasonal
Old 03-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
Is there some other campground person who has a fiver? If its being moved for flooding, i am sure that other people are having to move theirs. It would be cheaper to pay somebody $200 buck to move in an emergency then buy a truck for those rare times.
Honestly, I'm not sure there are. Most of the seasonals have TT. Plus, there are only parts of the CG that flood. One side on the CG must be on higher ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Would that be from the kishwaukee river??
I've seen some site built up as you described., some pretty high up.
Yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
A bit off topic but I would make sure you are insured. Worst case scenario is your camper is in a flood and the insurance company buys you a new camper. This option is cheaper than a new truck also.

Vin.
We do have insurance, so that is one fall-back we have. We specifically asked about flood insurance and they said we are covered.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure there are. Most of the seasonals have TT. Plus, there are only parts of the CG that flood. One side on the CG must be on higher ground.

Just like my cg..........hmm... sent ya a pm

Seasonal

Tags
light