Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Might be less expensive to have them custom made than all the add on solutions. There are fab shops all around.

Finding one that will take on the project is another matter.

Custom Leaf Spring Trailer Air Suspension | Kelderman
Old 12-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #22

We added airbags to our truck when we upgraded to our 1st 5er and it "tamed the bouncing down" so it wasn't as harsh. I have since added an onboard compressor and can adjust the air in the springs according to the terrain, that has been a fantastic improvement as well. I only add enough air initially to bring the truck to sitting level and will make small adjustments either way once we are moving.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #23
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
how many pounds air pressure is everyone putting in their airbags ??
I run 50 lbs in mine with a pin weight just over 2K lbs...not including hitch & tool box weights in back of bed.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post

I run 50 lbs in mine with a pin weight just over 2K lbs...not including hitch & tool box weights in back of bed.
I'm a bit heavier I believe, and run 58 psi. Seems to be my sweet spot
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I'd mentioned on an earlier thread that I just had my air bags installed by Camping World for $29. Their offer to install anything they sell (a few exceptions) for $29 is hard to beat. The offer ends at the end of December. I know some like to do the work themselves, but why subject yourself to the frustration if the job doesn't go as planned over $29? I haven't had the chance to use them yet, but am looking forward to using them when we leave for Florida in January.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #26

I saw a few posts about Monroe shocks and I wouldn't put them on a go kart!!!! went through 3 pair in 4 weeks and they warrantied all and refunded my money finally because they are made a popping noise and didn't not control the ride like they should've of course most wouldn't notice or know how they should work so many don't take them back. went to kyb mono max and will never change, does make for a rougher empty ride but nothing that bothers me. with the Monroe's when I hit the washboards on the gravel the rear end would fish tale and with the kyb's on the same truck and same wash board it held it's ground under control and the Monroe's were the heavy duty tow as well lol

I have a '11 295 wolf pack toyhauler with a "claimed" of 8200 lbs. I don't travel with anything in the holding tanks. with my sand rail and gear loaded just under 10,500 lbs. out normal trips to the dunes in Oklahoma take us down some rough roads and the roughest are at the Oklahoma state line and I mean slow down to 45 mph or come close to hitting your head on the roof lol lol I swapped out the tires from factory 8 ply to 10 ply for safety and it added a little bounce to the to hauler. so I added the dexter ez flex system with wet bolts and added shock absorbers to the camper. here is a link http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-38453.html

our trips to the dunes and back are usually 618 miles one way, and with the ez flex and shocks I can now hang jackets on the coat hooks and they are still there after crossing 3 state lines!! I then added an air ride hitch in the truck and absolutely love it. the whole combination was a night and day difference us!! Air Ride Hitch of course I made all the changes myself and custom made shock mounts for the top as well and I do a lot of custom fabrication and have a full line of tools in my shop so nothing taxing at all.

if I ever change the hitch I will try this one next time 20K 5th Wheel Air Hitch more money but I like the design and handling characteristics better and since I have a box cover no worries about weather attacking it.

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #27

I added firestone ride right bags on my last f250 psd. I needed the leveling help so that worked well. they take the sharp hit out of the cab from cracks in the road or spots similar to pot holes but do not smooth the ride empty like a good set of shocks will do. loaded they do help some on smoothing out the ride but still need a good set of shocks with them imo. shocks and ez flex on the camper is still where you need to start as that is where it starts! bandaids on the problem seldom do much. MONROE® COMMERCIAL VEHICLE :: Trailer Retrofit Kits

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Shock Kit

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - E-Z Flex Equalizers

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Putting shocks on a spring suspension is relatively easy, on torsion suspension it becomes a little more challenging but regardless of the suspension system, shocks will definitely fix the problem.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #29

I have the rota-flex pin box, it does not smooth out the ride for me. I am thinking of changing out the pin box or hitch.
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #30

what is the average cost to add air bags to a truck?
thanks
Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Thanks Turbo, what would you recommend for my F-250? Are all monroe the same? I got 123,000 miles on it now.....
I have used Monroe sense tracs, rancho rs5000's and bilstein hd's.

trust me and the other that have said it. get the bilsteins!!

best shock I have ever bought
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #32

I would sure like to add shocks to my 5th wheel, looking under the trailer i don't see room to add shocks, i have a forest river model 3550rl with a 12 inch i beam frame, and the leaf spring shackle plate would need to be changed from top to bottom of axle . Can this project be done?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I would sure like to add shocks to my 5th wheel, looking under the trailer i don't see room to add shocks, i have a forest river model 3550rl with a 12 inch i beam frame, and the leaf spring shackle plate would need to be changed from top to bottom of axle . Can this project be done?
With out a doubt, and enough money.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Are you talking about moving the springs from below the axle to above the axle? The shackle plates are at each end of the springs.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
what is the average cost to add air bags to a truck?
thanks
Just had Air Lift air bags installed by Camping World. The bags were $352, the single on board air compressor was $195. Installation would have been nearly $555, but took advantage of the $29 install anything deal that CW has going until the end of the month. I had the parts installed before the $29 deal was announced, but they reimbursed me $325 in merchandise certs. That was very nice considering I bought them before the sale was announced. Quite of few others on the forum say they install them themselves so if your inclined you can save quite a chunk of change.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #36

Ops! ment to say leaf spring u=bolt anchor plate, the anchor plate is now on the top of the springs, it needs to b on the bottom, the bottom of the shock would bolt to this plate. If i understand correctly.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Ops! ment to say leaf spring u=bolt anchor plate, the anchor plate is now on the top of the springs, it needs to b on the bottom, the bottom of the shock would bolt to this plate. If i understand correctly.
Still don't understand what difference it makes unless you are trying to raise the trailer.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #38

well what do u anchor the bottom bolt of the shock to?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
well what do u anchor the bottom bolt of the shock to?
A plate bolted under the spring retaining bracket with the U bolts going thru it also. The shock plate bracket would have a leg bent down with a hole for a stud for the lower shock mount.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #40

Quote:
what is the average cost to add air bags to a truck? thanks
Just picked up a set at autoanything.com for $315 . Firestone ride right with manual inflation. I will be installing them myself so not sure on install cost. Plus u can get several diff compressors and in cab controllers that add to the cost. All depends what your looking for?
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing