Old 06-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Solved Adjusting Weight Distribution Hitch

I have one of these eazlift | Towing into the 21st century. that is rated for 1000 lbs. My TT is a 2013 Puma 30DBSS with a rough tongue weight of 850 pounds. When I brought it home from the dealer, they adjusted it so that it rode level and everything was good. Now that I have my gear in it, I am trying to adjust it as it rides a bit low in the rear and high in the front of the truck. It seems no matter what I do, the heights front and rear of the truck are about the same. This is what I tried so far. 1. Same head holes but tilted the head do I had more and fewer chains. 2. Raised the head 1 set of holes and tilted it up so the bars were more parallel with the frame. 3. Lowered the head 1 set of holes (from the original position) with the head tilted up so I could get the chains on.

Like I said, nothing seemed to change at all. Do any of you experts out there know what I am doing wrong and point me in the right direction to get it to distribute more weight to the front of the truck?

Thanks

Old 06-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

your 850lbs. hitch weight is the fictional "dry" weight.
you can add around 300lbs. to that, for actual hitch weight.
not sure why you're using a number that isn't real.
no trailer weighs its "dry" weights, not even on the hitch.

and there's no way i'd tow that size and weight of a trailer, with a 1/2 ton truck, with a basic WDH and cheap friction anti-sway bar.

IMHO, that size of a trailer needs a better WDH, like a Reese Dual-Cam or Equalizer.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #3

How does it feel when driving?
I had a Utah folding trailer towed by a Ford Ranger 4x4. When the spring bars were tight enough to make the truck level, the rear end felt squirrelly, almost like the rear end was going to slide out on a corner.
The truck and trailer were rock solid and handled very well with the front end up just a touch and the rear end a touch low.

Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
your 850lbs. hitch weight is the fictional "dry" weight.
you can add around 300lbs. to that, for actual hitch weight.
not sure why you're using a number that isn't real.
no trailer weighs its "dry" weights, not even on the hitch.

and there's no way i'd tow that size and weight of a trailer, with a 1/2 ton truck, with a basic WDH and cheap friction anti-sway bar.

IMHO, that size of a trailer needs a better WDH, like a Reese Dual-Cam or Equalizer.
Thanks for the reply but that doesn't really answer my question at all. I understand that 850 pounds may not have been accurate. I haven't owned the trailer all that long so I haven't actually weighed everything yet. I really didn't add much weight to the front end of the thing. At the very most, there is an extra 100 to 150 pounds above what it came with. Most of my equipment is over the axles in the kitchen area and then in the back storage in the bunk room. The reason I bought this hitch is because I had one very similar with my camper I had 6 years ago and it performed well. I also agree on the 1/2 ton truck being too small. We don't travel long distances at least not for this summer but I do intend to upgrade next spring to a 3/4 ton. Anyway, back to my original question. Does anyone know which way the hitch should be moved to get more weight to the front of the truck?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
How does it feel when driving?
I had a Utah folding trailer towed by a Ford Ranger 4x4. When the spring bars were tight enough to make the truck level, the rear end felt squirrelly, almost like the rear end was going to slide out on a corner.
The truck and trailer were rock solid and handled very well with the front end up just a touch and the rear end a touch low.

To be honest, it actually pulls rather well most of the time. When there are very bad winds, it wants to get squerlly but I expect that till I get the truck squared away. I already put HD shocks on it, I plan on (in the next two weeks) putting new 10 ply tires and then a set of these Timbren Vehicle Suspension for Ford F-150 2001 - TFRTT1525. to hopefully help.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

How many washers are you currently using and have you experimented with that to see the effect on the front and back of the truck?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
How many washers are you currently using and have you experimented with that to see the effect on the front and back of the truck?
This one doesn't use washers. There is a bolt on the bottom and what they call a rivet on the top. Adjusting those in or out changes the angles on the bars/head. I have gone both ways so I use less chain links and more chain links and nothing seems to change except how hard it is to chain up the bars. The heights front and back on the truck seem to stay the same no matter what. Maybe I will just sell this thing for a few dollars and get something better.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

To get more weight on the front of the truck, you have two options. One is tilt the head back, the other is fewer links of chain between the bars and the snap-up bracket. Some hitches have a minimum number of links to run, so read the manual for the hitch. May have to tilt the head and use fewer links.

Now when you have all the adjustment you can get there, then you raise or lower the ball to get the camper back to level. If you still aren't satisfied, you need stiffer bars. I just bought 1200 pound bars for my rig, over the 1000 pound bars I had.

Good luck, and raising or lowering the ball will change things a little, but not much. Also if you are going to tow with empty tanks, make sure they are empty. If towing mostly with full fresh water, make sure it is full. 40 gallons of water is over 300 pounds.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
To get more weight on the front of the truck, you have two options. One is tilt the head back, the other is fewer links of chain between the bars and the snap-up bracket. Some hitches have a minimum number of links to run, so read the manual for the hitch. May have to tilt the head and use fewer links.

Now when you have all the adjustment you can get there, then you raise or lower the ball to get the camper back to level. If you still aren't satisfied, you need stiffer bars. I just bought 1200 pound bars for my rig, over the 1000 pound bars I had.

Good luck, and raising or lowering the ball will change things a little, but not much. Also if you are going to tow with empty tanks, make sure they are empty. If towing mostly with full fresh water, make sure it is full. 40 gallons of water is over 300 pounds.
Thanks, this was very useful. I do have a minimum of 5 chain links showing. I also do tow with empty tanks. Maybe I should just see if I can get a set of 1200 pound bars. I bet that is my limitation here. Is it possible to get too stiff of bars? Reason I ask is I have just under 2" to shift from the back to the front. Maybe 1400 pound bars would suit me better?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travyp View Post
This one doesn't use washers.
They don't? What hitch do you have again?

These manuals show that both models of Eaz lift use washers to tilt the head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	229
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	15397  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Eaz lift hitch.pdf (500.1 KB, 465 views)
File Type: pdf Eaz lift Elite_Instructions.pdf (425.3 KB, 528 views)

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote