Old 12-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #61

I have found that the tow mode is used when one is pulling in the hills . If the tranny wants to down shift and the up shift to quickly the put it in tow.as tow will run a higher rpm and lower mpg.if your tv isn't working hard (lower rpm) the better off you are

R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartinez View Post
My understanding is that in TOW it doe snot shift into overdrive. I use it sometimes, particularly on hills, but I don't see much difference. 2010 Ford F-150 Super Crew Short Bed Crew Cab 5.4L V-8 6-spd auto 2x2 - 9,800 Lbs. towing capacity. Pulling a 2703WS Rockwood Super Lite (6,400 Lbs. dry weight)
See above post(s) where it is stated that TH does not lock out overdrive - at least in some Fords.

It is obvious TH does not work the same from manufacturer to manufacturer nor even year to year in a particular line. With TH on, my truck will tow in 6th year (5th and 6th are both overdrive same as was posted above) AND in 4-cylinder mode many times.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
Cant speak for other manufacturers, but Ford recommends Tow/Haul mode for accelerating from a stop, bumper to bumper traffic, terrain with lots of ups and downs, etc. And if you are on mostly flat highway (already at speed) they recommend you turn it off as a way to gain fuel mileage. As I understand it with my truck (6 speed auto, eco boost) the Tow/Haul will keep you in 5th gear, and if you shut if off the truck will then use 6th (which is why you get slightly better fuel mileage). That was what I was told by a Ford Tech.
I agree my F250 will do the same, it will lock you out of overdrive, which burns more fuel. It will also hold you longer in the gears as it moves up from first. In Tow haul I will show much higher RPM before shifting. I use it in the hills climbing and going down. Or stop and go traffic. I get to speed and shut it off on the flat highway so I can drop my rpms. On Ford Tow haul, locks you out of overdrive. I never seen any trans temp difference either on or off. But I also have a good truck F250 with the 6.0 and 133,000 miles on it. The more miles I put on it the better it runs..... Knock on wood
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I agree my F250 will do the same, it will lock you out of overdrive, which burns more fuel. It will also hold you longer in the gears as it moves up from first. In Tow haul I will show much higher RPM before shifting. I use it in the hills climbing and going down. Or stop and go traffic. I get to speed and shut it off on the flat highway so I can drop my rpms. On Ford Tow haul, locks you out of overdrive. I never seen any trans temp difference either on or off. But I also have a good truck F250 with the 6.0 and 133,000 miles on it. The more miles I put on it the better it runs..... Knock on wood
FWIW you can also lock out as many gears you want by using the downshift button in automatic mode on the Ford (for those with manual shift option). I'm not sure why I would ever do that on purpose but it works.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartinez View Post
My understanding is that in TOW it doe snot shift into overdrive. I use it sometimes, particularly on hills, but I don't see much difference. 2010 Ford F-150 Super Crew Short Bed Crew Cab 5.4L V-8 6-spd auto 2x2 - 9,800 Lbs. towing capacity. Pulling a 2703WS Rockwood Super Lite (6,400 Lbs. dry weight)
Thats my first combo, except 2009 truck. I found the V8 did not have the torque of the Eco for sure. The transmission ran hot and was rarely in 6th. Eco does make 6th on most flat terrain with gentle grades.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You have an older 6.0 PSD. Older Fords did lockout OD. Not the case with Ecoboost trucks. If anyone wants to test it, just turn it on and head down the road unloaded. It will go into 6th. And will with a load until the load offers enough resistance the tranny determines it needs to hold 5th. Keep loading and you'll finally hold 4th.....
Old 12-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
FWIW you can also lock out as many gears you want by using the downshift button in automatic mode on the Ford (for those with manual shift option). I'm not sure why I would ever do that on purpose but it works.
I use the lockout all the time on ice and snow to get maximum dynamic braking with the engine.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #68

Use the TH It's cheaper than new tranny If I don't use mine the trans. temp goes up about 50 deg.s I have a 3500HD GMC Allison tran. pull Sierra 365saq loaded 15,500 pulls the hills good but would not if not in TH I like having a dually for more stability on windy days and it doesn't feel trucks going by.
I have 330,000 Miles on truck, Do to a bad lower radiator clamp I had to replace the
engine 30,000 miles ago. The new eng. runs good gets 23 without trl. and between 11 and 17 with the trl. depending how fast I drive, given the choice i'd get another GMC can't feel it shift lots of power. We are full timers
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #69
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Not true at all.
At least on gm the trans stays in a lower gear "higher" rpm when tow haul is engaged.
Agree, at least on my weak kneed 05Silverado it doesn't change any shift points, just stays in whatever gear longer until it shifts into 4th. It drops my rpm @ 65mph to approx. 1700 rpm with a 3.23 rear end.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #70

Question. Has anyone "burned up" or know of anyone that has "burned up" an Allison tranny?

Tags
trailer, modifications