Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #71
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Agree, at least on my weak kneed 05Silverado it doesn't change any shift points, just stays in whatever gear longer until it shifts into 4th. It drops my rpm @ 65mph to approx. 1700 rpm with a 3.23 rear end.
Sorry, but isn't that the definition of changed shift points??

My duramax/Allison 5speed doesn't raise the rpms in t/h mode. Will not drop a gear once put in t/h mode and holds gears longer and will downshift while braking.
I use it anytime im towing anything except an empty car hauler, and sometimes even when im not towing when in stop and go traffic or negotiating hill and curves at slower speeds- like driving around the Ozarks and around Branson.
Everybody does what works best for thier combo or situation im sure!! The above is what works best for me!!

Old 12-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #72
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Both mine and my mothers EB (one 2011 and one 2013) use all gears regardless of tow/haul mode. I think your Tech might wanna study a little more. Tow/Haul, at least on the Ford's, is NOT an overdrive off button. They would technically have to lock out 5th and 6th to be an overdrive off button, though.
Same as tundra 5,7L. Uses all 6 gears in tow/haul but shifts at higher rpms.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #73

Arrow TH and allison 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Sorry, but isn't that the definition of changed shift points??

My duramax/Allison 5speed doesn't raise the rpms in t/h mode. Will not drop a gear once put in t/h mode and holds gears longer and will downshift while braking.
I use it anytime im towing anything except an empty car hauler, and sometimes even when im not towing when in stop and go traffic or negotiating hill and curves at slower speeds- like driving around the Ozarks and around Branson.
Everybody does what works best for thier combo or situation im sure!! The above is what works best for me!!
I have a 6speed Allison and in TH it will progress through the gears as long as i'm stepping on it, it downs when not as soon as the rpm's allow. the original q. was to TH or not I say yes as long as you're
towing a load thats what its for I have a trans. guage and if I don't have it in TH on a 75* day the temp will raise 50* or more. TH trans. have a larger sump to help keep Trans. cool that why TH is necessary.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #74

Smile

I have a 06 gmc dually with rear drive only 3.83 rearend that is a reason for my better fuel milage when in TH or not
Dick,
Old 12-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #75

Dicky1243, are you sure about that (383) rear gear? Youroo!!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #76

Smile 3.83 rears 2WD 4wd are 4.11 in gm

Yes, i have a print out of everything on my truck even the 2" body lift air bags factory inst. All you have to do if you're not sure what is in your truck take the vin. to the parts dept. and ask them to download the original paper on it when made.
Dick,
Old 12-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #77
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Never seen a gm 383 gear

In 2006
Old 12-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #78
Oklahoma Proud

Obviously its 3.73 gears. That's all thats been offered for light duty duramax trucks since they came out with the '01 model
(glove box option code GT4)
And 6 speed allisons have a 2nd od gear that the 5 speed doesn't, otherwise the ratios for the tranny gears are the same. At least per allison, ive never actually counted teeth personally, but ill ask my buddy over in heavy line if i need to know for sure.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #79

SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THE ALLISON IN 2011 GM/CHEVY 2500HD...
So with all this said and with other forums I've read, I see no absolute about having to use T/H mode. (There is something in the owners manual about 75% of load rating...) On my 2011 2500HD pulling my 14K 5th wheel, I use T/H depending on the situation.
When pulling the 5vr, coming up to speed , or when I anticipate slowing down, I kick it in T/H mode.
Once up to speed, unless I'm in hilly terrain, I take it out of T/H mode. On my last trip I really paid attention to this and found out that if I were running 65mph in T/H mode, my tranny temps actually climbed a bit. When I'd kick out of T/H mode, the temp would come down. So, I'm guessing, you use T/H mode the way it best seems to work for you application. Anyone disagree?
Also, someone said something about T/H increased the tranny fluid pressure which helped the clutches...anyone know if there's anything to this?
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #80
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THE ALLISON IN 2011 GM/CHEVY 2500HD...
So with all this said and with other forums I've read, I see no absolute about having to use T/H mode. (There is something in the owners manual about 75% of load rating...) On my 2011 2500HD pulling my 14K 5th wheel, I use T/H depending on the situation.
When pulling the 5vr, coming up to speed , or when I anticipate slowing down, I kick it in T/H mode.
Once up to speed, unless I'm in hilly terrain, I take it out of T/H mode. On my last trip I really paid attention to this and found out that if I were running 65mph in T/H mode, my tranny temps actually climbed a bit. When I'd kick out of T/H mode, the temp would come down. So, I'm guessing, you use T/H mode the way it best seems to work for you application. Anyone disagree?
Also, someone said something about T/H increased the tranny fluid pressure which helped the clutches...anyone know if there's anything to this?
Doubt anyone on here could answer that and have a real working knowledge about it.
I only know one guy who could possibly answer all that, and he works at another dealership now. He can change or program just about anything on a gm vehicle.
I hate to bother him about a forum question, especially since theres gonna be a few that will say that he or "we" don't know what were talking about. But you'd be hard pressed to find a smarter tech than him.

Tags
trailer, modifications