Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #41
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Back to "tow-haul".... I'm guessing that the manufacturer put the tow/haul on the truck for a reason, so I use it whenever I'm towing/hauling. Also turn on engine braking to help slow down the 17,000 behind me a little quicker...
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #42

You assume that they are over weight.

I'm overweight could use to lose 10 pounds...
VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #43
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
You are right turbs, And it is his right to leave the forum. I just don't understand why you need to comment on everyone's rig even if you don't know all the facts. You assume that they are over weight.
Your right I shouldn't point out the obvious
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #44

A question brought up earlier was about trans temp not using tow mode. I have the Bully Dog tuner that displays trans temp, exhaust temp, intake temp, average fuel consumption, current fuel consuption, turbo boost preasure, engine temp, battery level, etc., etc.. It will also correct any DCT codes that might come up.
I show no difference in trans temp in or out of tow mode. I just put it in gear and let the Duramax/Allison figure it out. If it needs another gear, it will go for it. I figure those folks at GM and Allison are a lot smarter than I am.
Also, I drop 2 mpg from 60 to 70 mph. Cruise control stays on 65 mph if traffic will allow.
And yes, the tow mode WAS put on the truck for a reason, it's for IF you need it. That is why there is an on/off button.
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #45

The tow/haul mode changes the shift points of the transmission so it provides better acceleration when taking off and assists with braking by downshifting earlier when slowing down. There should be no difference while cruising and it has nothing to do with transmission temperature.
oakprk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #46

We have a 2002 Chev Silverado (the large engine and all the extra STUFF as my wife calls it on the vehicle) and a Rockwood 2010yr. 2604 and I always use the tow mode (unless I forget and my wife reminds me) and as my service mechanic said that is what it is there for and let the transmission do its thing. In Canada eastern Ontario, we have towed it to the west coast, through the rockies and no problem. As I was told to use it as it is cheaper than replacing a transmission for the little more gas it uses.
By the way my truck just turned over the 100,000KMS this past summer.

Enjoy the Christmas season
Mr. JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #47

Incorrect, oakprk. It is very important during cruising and for trans temp. It does change the shift pattern for acceleration and deceleration.

But it also increases the fluid pressure so you put less wear on the clutch packs during shifting, and it moves the heat out to the tranny cooler faster. I definitely see a difference in the tranny temp when I use tow/haul under stress conditions - like a long climb on a warm day.

Some trucks do other things, too. I believe all of them now enter into an engine braking mode which auto-downshifts when you hit the brake on an incline. With it off it still has engine braking (closing valves and cutting fuel) but it doesn't downshift. Mine also changes the tap-for-turn-signal from 3 blinks to 6. Supposedly it increases the output voltage from the alternator but I've never seen that happen.

On mine is says you don't need to use tow/haul unless you are over 50% capacity. I would have to check if that was GCVW or tow capacity.
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #48
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakprk View Post
The tow/haul mode changes the shift points of the transmission so it provides better acceleration when taking off and assists with braking by downshifting earlier when slowing down. There should be no difference while cruising and it has nothing to do with transmission temperature.
Not true at all.
At least on gm the trans stays in a lower gear "higher" rpm when tow haul is engaged.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #49
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Maybe your crv tv is the way you speak but not gm
Old 12-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #50

As I understand it the "THMode" is mainly for starting from a stand still...Tranny decides when it should shift....My 2014 Silverado 2500HD is quite and really helps to pull our CC Silverback 29......You should not notice anything once rolling on a level...may shift differently on a long grade...J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #51

I'm having a hard time seeing why this is even being debated. It's tow/haul mode. Use it when you tow/haul. Seems pretty clear to me.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #52
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'm having a hard time seeing why this is even being debated. It's tow/haul mode. Use it when you tow/haul. Seems pretty clear to me.
I'm with you.
[emoji12]
Old 12-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #53

Cant speak for other manufacturers, but Ford recommends Tow/Haul mode for accelerating from a stop, bumper to bumper traffic, terrain with lots of ups and downs, etc. And if you are on mostly flat highway (already at speed) they recommend you turn it off as a way to gain fuel mileage. As I understand it with my truck (6 speed auto, eco boost) the Tow/Haul will keep you in 5th gear, and if you shut if off the truck will then use 6th (which is why you get slightly better fuel mileage). That was what I was told by a Ford Tech.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #54
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Doesn't everything get debated???

But I concur....pretty straight forward type of thing!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
As I understand it the "THMode" is mainly for starting from a stand still...Tranny decides when it should shift....My 2014 Silverado 2500HD is quite and really helps to pull our CC Silverback 29......You should not notice anything once rolling on a level...may shift differently on a long grade...J
No. See my response to oakprk above.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
Cant speak for other manufacturers, but Ford recommends Tow/Haul mode for accelerating from a stop, bumper to bumper traffic, terrain with lots of ups and downs, etc. And if you are on mostly flat highway (already at speed) they recommend you turn it off as a way to gain fuel mileage. As I understand it with my truck (6 speed auto, eco boost) the Tow/Haul will keep you in 5th gear, and if you shut if off the truck will then use 6th (which is why you get slightly better fuel mileage). That was what I was told by a Ford Tech.
Both mine and my mothers EB (one 2011 and one 2013) use all gears regardless of tow/haul mode. I think your Tech might wanna study a little more. Tow/Haul, at least on the Ford's, is NOT an overdrive off button. They would technically have to lock out 5th and 6th to be an overdrive off button, though.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #57

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I can concur the statement that the Ecoboost Ford shown in TH mode stays in 5th more than 6th on moderate rolling terrain. Monitoring transmission temp it does run lower in 5th than trying to stay in 6th or hunt between the two all the time. Ultimately it is up to the OP to choose what is best for him.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #58

Quote:
Both mine and my mothers EB (one 2011 and one 2013) use all gears regardless of tow/haul mode. I think your Tech might wanna study a little more. Tow/Haul, at least on the Ford's, is NOT an overdrive off button. They would technically have to lock out 5th and 6th to be an overdrive off button, though.
That is true for the Chevys too. Mine will stay in 5th most of the time when in tow/haul, but it will still get up to 6th, usually on downhills.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #59

My understanding is that in TOW it doe snot shift into overdrive. I use it sometimes, particularly on hills, but I don't see much difference. 2010 Ford F-150 Super Crew Short Bed Crew Cab 5.4L V-8 6-spd auto 2x2 - 9,800 Lbs. towing capacity. Pulling a 2703WS Rockwood Super Lite (6,400 Lbs. dry weight)
mcmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #60

THe biggest thing I notice on my '12 Silverado 1500 is tranny temp. When towing up steep grades I like to have the tranny temp displayed. I remember one time I did not have the TH mode on and the tranny was nearing the 212 degree mark. I turned on TH mode and the temp dropped. I do notice shifting pattern changes but not much. I wish the manual shift would work in regular drive mode rather than needing to shift the level to manual shifting. When I ha my Hundai Santa Fe I could manual shift in regular drive so it was easy to anticipate when I needed to downshift to get more power just before a hill.

I always tow in TH mode now. I'd rather not burn up my tranny!

Tags
trailer, modifications