Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #1

Something isn't right??

Last month we bought a new 26' Wildwood TT and had the dealer install and set up a new Husky 800/1200 lb bar type weight distribution hitch on my Ford F-250 SD (2002). I am sure that he knew what he was doing as they sell many, many trailers a month and set them all up with their tow vehicles. My problem is this... no matter what I do, the truck feels "to me" that it is light on the front wheels when towing... I have never had any problems but it just doesn't feel the way my boat trailer (much lighter and no wd hitch) does when towing. Maybe this is just something I must get accustomed to but it doesn't feel right... Before I make th 90 mile trip back to the dealer, is there something I should look at or try first??
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #2

Which Husky WD hitch did you buy(model name/number)? This may help us, help you.

If the truck feels light on the front end, you may need to tighten up on WD bars. This will apply weight to the front axle.

If it's the Center Line™ System 31512, the instructions are here

If it's the standard WD hitch 31331 or 31335, the instructions are here .
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #3

My dealer installed the wrong bars, set the hitch height incorrectly and did not torque the bolts! So I got out the instructions and fixed it myself. I went back to the dealer and swapped out the bars for 1000 lbs bars and adjusted the hitch head and sway bars the right way. I find these days that you have to check everything yourself!
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Try reading this: How to Adjust a Weight Distributing Hitch | eHow.com

Hope it helps.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #5

I have the same Husky WDH which we bought when got our first trailer. We trade our 2007 TT for 2011 TT about 3 months ago and kept the same WDH. i asked the dealer to transfer the brackets and do the adjustment on the hitch. which they did.

the only difference is that I now hang the chain on the fourth link instead of the third link as i used to do on the our prior TT.

I was used to hanging the 3rd link which made our new TT feel light on the front wheels( like yours), after consulting with the dealer. they suggested i move up one more link and see.

life is good now and we are happy "Campers"
2007 Sub 5.3L 3:73
Hot DW
1 Princess & 2 Busy Boys
Ventura County, CA
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I too bought from an "experienced" dealer, but my Reese Straight Line was not putting much weight back on the front axle. It takes time to dial your setup in......something that the dealer does not have much of.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote