Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #1

Sparks?

So every time I connect my work and play tow hauler to my truck there is a small spark at the connector. I'm not sure why. I am sure however, it blows the 30 amy fuse in the truck which provides power to charge the battery while the trailer is connected to the truck... Anybody have thoughts? Is it because the fuses in the trailer are in the trailer or because the switches are on? Thanks for the advise.
skydiverchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #2

There is a high draw item turned on or you have a dead short. I suggest turning everything off in the trailer before making the connection.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #3

thanks Mikegjax.... thats what I was thinking.... I'm going to replace the fuse tomorrow. I'll make sure everything gets shut off before I connect.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Since you dont have your unit listed in your profile or on your signature line I'll give you two things to look at.

If you have a tt then follow your plug in cord back till you find a metal junction block.
This block may be up under the plastic underbelly and sometimes there's a little door to access it.
Open it up and make sure your connection is good there.

If you you have a 5er then follow your cord up under your pin box where you'll find the same box.

Good luck and post what you find.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #5

F1100 I've a a work and play 21vfb
Old 03-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Has this "always" been the case with this camper, or is it something new that is happening?
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverchuck View Post
thanks Mikegjax.... thats what I was thinking.... I'm going to replace the fuse tomorrow. I'll make sure everything gets shut off before I connect.
That's a short term fix. If you want to find the cause of your problem,you need to start trouble- shooting both visually and with a VOM.

Repeated replacing of the fuse defeats the purpose of having fuses.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #8

I just bought the unit so I am still figuring things out. I was thinking that it may be doing it because stuff was turned on inside.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do you know for a fact that your truck is wired correctly? (Factory wired or aftermarket)
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #10

aqua man Its factory wired so I'm assuming its not the truck side.... I've hooked other trailers up to it and never had any issues...
Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #11

So the 7 pin sparks when you plug it in. Its a new to you trailer, so your sure the battery in the trailer is in good working order?
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #12

Reference for trailer wiring
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #13

JB It's supposedly a "new"battery. But I trust the dealer as far as I can throw them
Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #14

Id check to make sure the battery is connected properly, make sure there is no battery disconnect switch as well. If the wiring is in good working order, I can only think that the battery is either so low on power, or disconnected that when you plug in the trailer is drawing heavilly. There is the possiblity of a short in the 7 pin for the charge lead, but you have to start somewhere in diagnosing the issue.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #15
Always Learning

Would it make sense to plug the 7-pin into another truck to see if you blow a fuse in that one? Could it help isolate if it is your truck or your camper?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #16

Another thing to try to isolate the issue is to disconnect the wire at the battery and then plug in the trailer. If fuse holds, then issue is with battery as any short in the wiring would still blow the fuse. It could be the battery is so dead it draws a high load. Have you checked the water in the battery? have you charged the battery on battery charger?
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #17

On a previous post you were looking for a brake controller and harness to connect to your factory installed connector. You mentioned you got what you needed from eTrailer. I assume you have installed this. Just to isolate the controller, unplug it from under your dash to ensure it is not the issue. I should not be but if for some reason eTrailer hooked you up with the wrong harness there might? be an issue.

If that is not the problem disconnect the plug, replace the fuse and then use a VOM to ensue you have 12v on the truck side and 12v on the trailer side. If either connector does not measure any voltage you can then check the resistance with the ohm meter to see if you have a short. This could be mis-leading if you have any voltage at all on the pins. Use the reference Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com
Also as posted previous, disconnect the trailer battery to see if it is an issue. Do the trailer lights and other DC stuff on the trailer work? It would seem battery is connected correctly, especially if the radio works.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote