Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

Stabilizer bars

Hi everyone,

I have a 2502 FR tt. What is the correct way to connect the hitch stabilizer bars?

On a friends trailer, he lowers the part connected to the tongue, connects the chain, and then uses a piece of pipe to lever it up.

On the 2502, the LP/battery cover seems to be in the way.

I have used my truck scissors jack to raise the bar up to get the third eye of the chain.

TIA
VaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Brigitte

I'm no pro but we also had trouble getting hooked up to the first link before getting the anti sway cam. That helped a lot. I cannot help you with specs but i don't think using a jack to raise the bars is standard operating procedure! Do you Have pictures?
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
We've got a 2006 Flagstaff and when the dealer showed us this is what we were told.

Connect the TT to the TV, use the TT tongue jack to jack the TV and TT up, connect your WD bars and use the pipe to lift the lever up, then lower it back down. I was also told that you do the same when you disconnect.

This is suppose to reduce the stress on the TV so you can connect the bars without the stress/weight on them. Then once it is connected you are now placing the stress (weight) on to the TV as you lower the TT jack.

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies!

Now, how do I know what the correct link of the chains is?
VaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Site Team

it help others if you posted the brand and model WDH that you have.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
We found the link on the chain is dependent on the load and the level of your TV and TT. We took the combo to the flattest of ground we could find and adjust the chain link to make sure that the TT and TV were level. You don't want to have the nose of either pointed to the sky, or the middle sagging. Just my 2cents, take it for what it is worth.

Good Luck!

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilvius View Post
We've got a 2006 Flagstaff and when the dealer showed us this is what we were told.

Connect the TT to the TV, use the TT tongue jack to jack the TV and TT up, connect your WD bars and use the pipe to lift the lever up, then lower it back down. I was also told that you do the same when you disconnect.

This is suppose to reduce the stress on the TV so you can connect the bars without the stress/weight on them. Then once it is connected you are now placing the stress (weight) on to the TV as you lower the TT jack.
This is how I do it and it does make a difference in reducing stress when you use the cheater bar to lift up the saddles. Same method for lowering saddles to remove the bars. Ask your service department how high you should raise the tongue jack - I was told all the way up. When I wasn't rasing it up enough the stress sear off the screws on the saddles - good thing the big bolts were the important part.

How many links I drop and connect on depends on which TV I am using to tow with.

Good point already mentioned about checking how the trailer is setting once connected.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilvius View Post

Lifting the T/V & trailer with the Electric tounge jack eases the strain on you,the bars will be under a (LOT) more strain when in use. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote