Old 07-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #21
Wanna Be Camper
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Tractor trailers are NOT the same you are correct... but if there wasn't any benefit behind having a manual transmission why on earth would someone driving a rig designed to pull regularly choose to have a manual? Would it have anything to do with the reasons I suggested earlier? I would have to think so...

I simply posted the link proving that it isn't IMPOSSIBLE as you stated to get one... Also, no where was it stated he was looking for a brand new pickup, simply said he was looking to upgrade from a 1997...

simply put your "opinion" was not expressed as an opinion but as facts, as facts they were WRONG!!!

FYI... I have been dealing with Verizon Wireless' customer service for the past 2 hours... so sorry...
I believe it has been mentioned that the new Dodge is only available with the 6 sp manual with the Baby Cummins (350hp / 660 lbs ft). Some food for thought or just fun reading here.
TD33: Automatic or Manual Truck Transmission? | About Truck DrivingAbout Truck Driving

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
I have a 2000 F250 7.3 6 speed manual. When built the manual was the way to go, the old 3 speed OD auto was the weak link. Now the autos are a match for the manuals. I prefer a manual but with the new emissions controls you will not get a stick, that is also way the Dodge with manual trans are derated not for power but for emmisions. Yes manual transmissions are strong but so are the new autos. Comes down to what you like.

drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #23
Just a member
Originally Posted by drc343 View Post
...that is also way the Dodge with manual trans are derated not for power but for emmisions.
The G56 transmission cannot (long-term) reliably handle the torque output of the HO Cummins - it is a power issue.
Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #24
on a purely technical note the "standard" transmission on all trucks today is an automatic, with a manual transmission being an option on some. Years ago the "standard" transmission was a manual with the automatic being optional.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #25
per my brother-inlaw who works for dodge powertrain, the reason the derated #`s for the manual is the clutch is not strong enough to hold 800 unless you want a large leg, not good for a daily driver. The trans can handle it but the clutch cannot unless it is beefed up. I have a friend with over 800hp twinned CTD with a manual w/ billet internals shafts and aftermarket clutch and thats about it..
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #26
Go Auto

I have a month old F-350. The auto tranny is awesome and in tow haul mode the engine braking works great. Take a break from shifting and enjoy that cup of JOE.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #27
Thank you to everyone for the input. The views from everyone are valued information. I have owned one of each of the 3 brands of trucks, so I am loyal to none. I believe they all have good points and bad.
GM with the DuraMax and the Allison tranny seem to be a very good competitor.

Ford with the 7.3 Powerstroke is again a nice truck and I like the features and integrated brake controller.

Dodge with the Cummings has tons of power n torque.

I know for many the weak link seems to be the tranny stuck in the middle of all that metal. So going standard was a simple way to get around the weak link. I can not afford to buy new, nor would I want to.
The wife and I looked at a 2013 GMC crewcab, long box, dually, 4x4, with the duramax and new allison tranny. I am in Canada.....sticker price before taxes and anything extra added was 79,000.00....toss in a few features and your looking at 100k for a truck....I can not justify that.

I know the truck I get will be a crewcab if possible, I will be converting the box to a western hauler style box. My wife always rates vehicles by the number of cup not sure if that will play a part or not..!

The truck will most likely not be new unless the magic fairy drops some money into my lap. I like the looks of the Ford and the brake controller, the GM has the duramax, Dodge has the powerful Cummings but I am not keen on the engine noise and the watered exhaust sound.

I am not sure what it will be and price/year/features will all play a part. As for automatic or standard, I know auto's out number standards unless one is willing to look further or pay more. I am willing to go over the border to pick up a vehicle as importing has become easier.
Once again thank you to everyone for the input and ideas, please keep them coming..!

Glen & Robyn (A.K.A. Puff & Crickit) Full Timers..

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote