Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #91

For the record, my truck is NOT overloaded when I tow my camper.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #92
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
EXACTLY MT POINT!!!!! Giving a truck an EXACT weight and saying "That right there is where it goes from completely safe to completely dangerous" like a shear load is RIDICULOUS!!! Yet that's what is being done. And since you are an engineer, please explain how the wear and tear on a vehicle would work. Using your same line of logic, if I wear out a part on my truck at a 2% increased rate because of of being loaded 2% over my GVWR(elementary figures, I know), how am I unsafe???? By your own testimony the same wear and tear will occur, yet slower. So if that wear happens a little quicker, I'm somehow a menace to society???? Not seeing how having to replace a bearing at 60K versus 62K creates an inherently dangerous situation????
dustman stx, arguing with "self appointed experts" with absolutely no formal training/experience in the field is like pouring sand into a bottomless pit. There is no end to it.
I'm out of here.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #93
Camper Less Camping

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1814364248.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	28914

Time to bring some humor in this discussion...this pic reminded me of this thread! LOL
Keep up the healthy discussion/debate
Old 04-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Air bags will not change WT, capacity!!
But I can change the springs and blocks on my F250 to springs and blocks from an F350 and I should be all good right? That's the only difference between and F250 and an F350 SRW.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
dustman stx, arguing with "self appointed experts" with absolutely no formal training/experience in the field is like pouring sand into a bottomless pit. There is no end to it.
I'm out of here.
When the discussion degenerates into personal insults, it is time to shut it down.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post

But I can change the springs and blocks on my F250 to springs and blocks from an F350 and I should be all good right? That's the only difference between and F250 and an F350 SRW.
But if you do that you are essentially doing the same thing as air bags just in another way. You are taking some of the load off the springs.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon327 View Post
But if you do that you are essentially doing the same thing as air bags just in another way. You are taking some of the load off the springs.
So my point is why is a F250 with airbags or F350 springs installed less safe than an F350 while towing. Because of a sticker on the door I'd just like to hear why that is.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #98
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Comparing a tow vehicle's GVWR to the breaking strength of a rope is ridiculous.
Vehicle load ratings are determined with hundreds of thousands of miles and millions of load cycles in mind. It has nothing to do with what will "break" the truck.
While overloading one's TV will not break it immediately, the wear and tear and potntial for eventual failure obviously increases. Arguing otherwise is pointless.
As a structural engineer, I have knowledge on my side.
You are correct here.

Comparing to a rope is invalid because the rope has a continuous rated breaking point for its entire length. That load rating is based on the maximum load at which the rope is guaranteed not to break. Not WILL break; but COULD break.

When talking about your truck's ratings, it is better to use a chain as your comparison. Picture a chain made of links created by many different manufacturers and many different materials.

Each LINK is rated (guaranteed by the manufacturer) to handle a maximum load before breaking. NONE of the links have the same rating because they are made with different materials. Some strong, some weak.

Now build a chain with those links. As the chain builder, do you rate your chain at the value of the weakest link or the strongest or an average of all the links?

The GVWR is based on the weakest piece of support structure in the truck. Usually, this is the frame.

This is why if you add up the maximum axle ratings it typically exceeds the GVWR. The axles can carry more than the frame can.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #99
Site Team - Lou

One more thing. Please keep it civil.

This is a hotly debated topic and finger pointing and name calling won't advance your point of view.

Safety is a goal we all strive for; yet we never know when we have achieved it.
While "Safety is no accident"; the converse is not always true. "No accident" does not mean safe. It could just mean lucky.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #100
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon327 View Post
You are correct, for carrying a load, it makes no difference to the rear end, tires and wheels how the load is carried. Could be a solid post between the rear end and the bed of the truck. Air bags may not be as dependable, but they still transfer the load to the rear end. Kinda like arguing about which wheel chock works best. As long as the wheels are locked, what makes the difference how they are locked whether by brand x, y, z or homemade.

BTW, Herk is correct again!