Old 02-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #11

Usually the second gear does the trick.

Brake to a lower speed then you want to go, let it speed up around 10 km's faster than you want to go, and then brake, lower than you want to go. That way you are not on the brakes all the time. say you want to go down at 50 clicks an hour (kms) your speed should change between 30 km's to 60, and back and forth while at second gear. Never keep braking, never ...

Old 02-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #12

Let's be a little more specific about "putting it in low." I'm not sure what transfer case your truck has, but putting it in 4WD low on solid asphalt when it's not snowing, especially with a lot of weight behind and a curvy road ahead of you, can damage your transfer case and front axle u-joints. I would put the transmission into a lower gear, say 2nd, but I would not put the t-case in 4-low. 4-low is for off-road or loose road conditions only (at least in a truck or Jeep with a "part-time" t-case. If your vehicle has "AWD" or a "full-time" t-case, then you can use it. But most of our trucks use a part-time case.) As stated earlier, take it slow, and don't ride the brakes, but cycle them on and off to allow for cooling, and let the tranny do the work. Good luck!

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #13

Same trip

Would be interested to know when you are planning your trip, we are in teh same boat and plan to be around that area in May 2014. We are fortunate in that someone locally that lives in Calgary is giving us a day by day and play by play information on just such things. We also have another couple from Florida that will be there around that time also. Our tow truck is a 2500HD Gas EXT. Cab, short bed, our Coach is a Crusader 270RET. The coach is rated at 8870 dry, figure we have another thousand pounds with out junk on board, plus what we have in the truck as well. Been concerned about that grade since we have decided to go that way out of Bnaff. Let us know when you are going to be there, maybe we can all get together.
kickster
Dallas, GA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	45829  
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #14

Fantastic replies folks, appreciate it. I'm sure it'll be fine. It's an imtimdating climb and descent. Thanks LKickLight, we will be up there in July. Always nice to make new friends, sorry we will seem to miss you.
Mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #15

I have a Silverado 1500 and a 30 foot trailer. I always pull the trailer using the tow/haul mode and the transmission in drive for normal situations. Have not been in steep hills yet but will be on this road next summer. My plan will be to keep the truck in tow/haul mode and shift the transmission from drive to manual. That way I can choose any of the six speeds as needed. In first or second gear you should be able to descend a fairly steep grade without using the brakes and allowing the transmission to aid in keeping the speed down. No need to go to 4wd low range.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #16
Site Team

Sounds like plenty of truck for that small a TT. Biggest concern to me would be braking on the downhill.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #17

Tow Haul

No doubt this will bring a ton of conversation, but I work for GM Dealership here in Dallas, GA. We sell also have a Ford Dealership and GMC. With that said, I had always used my Tow/Haul when pulling the TT and now the 5'er. Our Truck Rep told me that, driving in normal expressway conditions, otherwise FLAT highway, it was not necessary to use the Tow/Haul Mode. His recommendation was, whenever the transmission started dropping down to a lower gear starting up a grade, then Select the Tow/Haul Mode. This saves a ton on gas when pulling. I have also had the engine Dyno's along with having the computer flashed, this also helped in reducing the sensitivity of the transmission going in and out of passing gear at the slightest grade elevation, also good for another couple of miles per gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
I have a Silverado 1500 and a 30 foot trailer. I always pull the trailer using the tow/haul mode and the transmission in drive for normal situations. Have not been in steep hills yet but will be on this road next summer. My plan will be to keep the truck in tow/haul mode and shift the transmission from drive to manual. That way I can choose any of the six speeds as needed. In first or second gear you should be able to descend a fairly steep grade without using the brakes and allowing the transmission to aid in keeping the speed down. No need to go to 4wd low range.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	45834  
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
Good day. We are going to be taking Highway 93 from Lake Louise to Jasper this Summer. Along the way, there is an extremely steep climb, up and down. I'm sure someone is familiar with it, I cannot find the grade. Anyway, I have not had the pleasure of towing up a steep grade nor down one yet. And I am tempted to not bother, because it scares me just a little.. But, I need to ask. What is the advice for doing this? My tow vehicle is a 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab 4X4, 20" tires, 3:92 rear end with the tow package, brake controller and everything. I tow a 21 foot Shamrock Hybrid, it has brakes. It will have no water load in it, dry weight is 4200 lbs, so lets say I am towing 5000 lbs, its just the two of us. How do I downshift? Do I just put on the tow/haul button and it will downshift for me? Or do I need to use the manual shift the truck comes with keep it in 2 gear or something? Do I use the tow/haul button going up also? And down? I always use the tow/haul button when towing anyway, I suspect I don't really need to, but that's what it's for. The truck tows this trailer of course with zero effort normally and I suspect it will do so for this, but I find comfort in asking the experts. And I use a WD hitch system. Thanks so much.
It's always good to be cautious. We've driven that stretch and you are in for a beautiful trip. You'll want to go no faster than the posted speed and since you are in the park it is quite conservative. You have a more than adequate set up and should have no problems using the tow/haul on the grade going up. The truck will shift as needed to keep the speed you are comfortable with. On the down grade you'll use the manual shift selector near the tow/haul button to remain as much as possible at your comfortable speed. You'll be working it up and down as the grade changes dictate. It works really well and yes, at times you will use the brakes to slow into the curves and the gas as well. The road itself is really quite nice. Watch for a place called Tangle Creek Falls just north of the ice fields. Big pull out on the left side of the road really pretty spot. The mountain peaks, lakes and wildlife are amazing. We are definitely going again!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_9988.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	45835   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9387.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	45836   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9776.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	45837   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9548.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	45838  
Old 02-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Our Truck Rep told me that, driving in normal expressway conditions, otherwise FLAT highway, it was not necessary to use the Tow/Haul Mode. His recommendation was, whenever the transmission started dropping down to a lower gear starting up a grade, then Select the Tow/Haul Mode. This saves a ton on gas when pulling. .
Your Truck Rep is clueless. With my 2002 Dodge with the V10 gas engine I got better gas mileage in tow/haul mode. I've never checked with my diesel Ford because the tow/haul mode helps with braking big time, especially if a hard stop is required. I always use tow/haul when towing.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #20

This topic came up last year and as far as my f250 the dash info screen says NOT to use tow/haul on flats for better performance and fuel economy....that said, I preferr the engine/exhaust braking so I just leave it on...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing