Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #21

I run nothing but Yokohama's on my truck. Good price and always get around 55 to 60 thousand miles on them.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #22
Grammar Pedant

I'm always amazed that these tire companies are even interested in these OEM arrangements. The manufacturers want a super cheap tire ... which reflect poorly on the tire brand.

I've had crappy OEM Firestones on two of the last truck-ish vehicles I bought. They don't perform/last as well as other brands ... which means that I've never even considered a Firestone tire as an aftermarket tire. Is that fair? Probably not. Firestone's other tires are probably good, but my only experience is with the OEM crap that wears the Firestone brand. Why would you soil your brand like that?

I guess if you can shoe the 100,000+ trucks that come off the assembly line, you don't care if any individuals ever buy your tire.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #23

Worst tires ever on a new vehicle! Had to get rid of mine 6K in.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
If I lived in Florida and never left a hard road surface I wouldn’t complain about them (the A/T version). They are a terrible tire for winter, soft sand/dirt or even just wet grass.
I have the AT version (came on the truck) and not to pull any validity from your claim but I have no idea how you could think this ^...

We've had 30+ inches of snow this month and if traffic is light I'm going 60mph in 2 wheel drive on snow packed roads totally relaxed. Yesterday, we had 10 inches and I was following a Subaru up a hill that almost didn't make it. I had to slow enough to ensure he made the hill that I though I might have trouble but I just got back in the gas and climbed the hill. I ice fish and hunt most every weekend... I've done the same with every truck I've owned and these tires perform very well.

I drive the truck over the curb and park in my front yard to make the driveway more accessible for blowing snow off it...I pushed snow with the front bumper parking it the other day. I've done this with various Goodyears and some pretty knarly Coopers...I'd put my money on the AT's.

I'm happy with them in the rain also...surprising how much it takes to get that big truck to slide around taking corners near the limit.

All that being said I don't think I will replace them with the same tire as I'm not happy with the rate of wear that is occurring while towing on dry pavement (it has been my experience that when tires perform well on rain and snow they wear faster on the dry) but I will give them another 15k before finalizing that decision.

Quote:
If there wasn’t 8000lbs sitting on top of them, or if I did any highway driving in winter, I would have already replaced them.
What does this mean?
Old 02-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #25

Just my two cents on this subject - It only took one time at a Firestone Store where an employee emphatically would not warranty a tire that was clearly defective that I swore to myself to never buy another Firestone tire or anything else with the Firestone Label on it.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #26

I took the Firestone HT off at 20,302 miles. The HT's are junk, poor traction in snow, rain and worn out way to soon. I used to have the Firestone Wilderness AT's on other trucks and I loved then. I put Firestone AT2's on. With 15,000 on them now, Traction is still good and they still look like new. I was told this is what they put on a lot of the commercial trucks in the area with no problems with them.
2014 Shasta Phoenix 27RL Trade in
Rich H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo2700 View Post
I told the manager of the shop I was skeptical to replace it with the same tire because of all the horrible reviews on the Ram forums. He said the tires are also on all the Chevy fleet trucks and none of them have complained. I told him the brand of truck has nothing to do with it, it’s just a sketchy tire.

While I agree the brand may not have anything to do with it I wonder if the vehicle does. When we bought the wives Sequoia in 2016 I was pleased to see the Bridgestone duallars on it as my Tundra had them and I had bought them as replacements for oem tires in the past they worked and lasted a long time however in 18 months and 16k treadbar was showing on 3 of 4 bars . My ram 1500 is running Goodyear’s from factory ant the dually has nexxin I believe
Old 02-22-2019, 11:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
I have the AT version (came on the truck) and not to pull any validity from your claim but I have no idea how you could think this ^...

We've had 30+ inches of snow this month and if traffic is light I'm going 60mph in 2 wheel drive on snow packed roads totally relaxed. Yesterday, we had 10 inches and I was following a Subaru up a hill that almost didn't make it. I had to slow enough to ensure he made the hill that I though I might have trouble but I just got back in the gas and climbed the hill. I ice fish and hunt most every weekend... I've done the same with every truck I've owned and these tires perform very well.

I drive the truck over the curb and park in my front yard to make the driveway more accessible for blowing snow off it...I pushed snow with the front bumper parking it the other day. I've done this with various Goodyears and some pretty knarly Coopers...I'd put my money on the AT's.

I'm happy with them in the rain also...surprising how much it takes to get that big truck to slide around taking corners near the limit.

All that being said I don't think I will replace them with the same tire as I'm not happy with the rate of wear that is occurring while towing on dry pavement (it has been my experience that when tires perform well on rain and snow they wear faster on the dry) but I will give them another 15k before finalizing that decision.

What does this mean?
Soft snow isn’t that slippery, hard packed snow and ice is which our roads are covered with from october till about now. Too cold here for salt to work and it doesnt get above freezing till March or April. If the sipes were full depth it would be better, but the rubber is still not good enough for -30 to -40C compared to other tires. Coopers don’t do that well here, Goodyear and Toyo has much better rubber compound for the cold. We’re comparing a tire for two very different climates. I can’t help you understand if you don’t know how a heavier vehicle can help with traction.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:34 AM   #29

Quote:
If I lived in Florida and never left a hard road surface I wouldn’t complain about them (the A/T version). They are a terrible tire for winter, soft sand/dirt or even just wet grass. If there wasn’t 8000lbs sitting on top of them, or if I did any highway driving in winter, I would have already replaced them.
Quote:
Soft snow isn’t that slippery, hard packed snow and ice is which our roads are covered with from october till about now. Too cold here for salt to work and it doesnt get above freezing till March or April. If the sipes were full depth it would be better, but the rubber is still not good enough for -30 to -40C compared to other tires. Coopers don’t do that well here, Goodyear and Toyo has much better rubber compound for the cold. We’re comparing a tire for two very different climates. I can’t help you understand if you don’t know how a heavier vehicle can help with traction.
I understand weight affects traction and not always for the better...your sentence wasn't all that clear too me...I didn't mean for you get all butt hurt but I don't live in Florida and I'm headed to unpaved, packed snow/ice as soon as I sign off here...I'll be driving the speed limit or nearly so.

I do some testing on motorcycle tires and temps make a difference...its quite possible the temp difference we experience is enough to make this particular tire's compound/design change it's driving characteristics entirely. I wouldn't bet against your comments in that regard without trying them out there for myself. I am, however, in disagreement on this tires off pavement performance...soft sand/mud/dirt/whathaveyou, 8000lbs of truck will not perform well unless some significantly larger rubber is applied. Regular old dirt and grass, this tire will dig holes quickly if one doesn't limit wheel spin and a tire that digs is getting traction.

Stay warm up there or go ice fishing like I'm about too..

Tags
tire, tires