Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #1

New 29RE

So, We purchased a new CC Silverback 29RE this week and towed it home. (6 hour drive one way.) My tow vehicle is a 2011 Ford F250SD, 6.7 diesel Supercab 4x2. Tag payload is 2878 lbs.
I had the dealer install a Reese Goose box on the trailer before we left. The truck was stock when I hooked up to it except for a set of Timbrens on the rear.
As the trailer weight was put on the truck, it settled right at 2". So, I walked about 50' away and looked closely. The truck and trailer seemed to be pretty level, with a just perceptible sag at the rear of the truck.

So, I asked for and received my old pi box, just in case we trade again in a few years, along with the old Reese slider, which I strongly disliked.

Made the trip just fine, getting about 13 mpg towing. Since getting home, I've done a couple of things to the F250. I installed a set of rear Supersprings, and replaced the rear shocks with Bilsteins. The old shocks were really bad...with zero rebound after compression. I set the Supersprings with a modest amount of preload. The truck now sits about an inch hiigher in the rear.
I guess I should go ahead and replace the front shocks as well....(a pox on Ford for their 19/32 and 21/32 bolts/nuts..... 5/8 and 11/16 would have worked very well)
I'll report back when I hitch up again. The dealer had set the goose box for about 6" of clearance between trailer and bed rails. That seems to be a little close to me, so I dropped the goose box an inch. I'm anxious to see what difference in truck/trailer attitude these changes have made.

By the way, that goose box makes a huge difference. The towing is very smooth with chucking reduced by 90+%, and even when i do hit those dreaded expansion joints, it's very soft as compared to the old Reese fifth hitch.

So, anyone else have experience with any of the above? Especially the goose box or the Supersprings.

Thanks...
Davidg is offline   Reply With Quote