Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #21
Trailer Trash

Probably too late as storm has passed for NC guys. Here is an afterthought, it's cross winds that will damage/flip the trailer. Anything over 50mph wind and even a semi is at risk for flipping. IF you can't move RV away from storm area, Hook up your RV and move it so is facing directly into the wind. Leave all legs up, just let it rest on tires and hitch. RV can go 80mph down a freeway. 80mph crosswind will flip it. Sooo point her into the wind, leave it, go park yourself in a shelter.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #22

The problem with that is the wind will change directions and going out to move the RV would not be good. Get away from the area early or get in a strong building and stay there. I can't imagine trying to ride out a hurricane in a trailer (RV) or anything not attached solid to the ground. Lived in Florida all my life and would not want to end it in a campground. I am surprised the owners did not chase everyone out of the campground about three days before the storm. The more distance you have from the ocean the better off you are.
Stank Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #23

good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Probably too late as storm has passed for NC guys. Here is an afterthought, it's cross winds that will damage/flip the trailer. Anything over 50mph wind and even a semi is at risk for flipping. IF you can't move RV away from storm area, Hook up your RV and move it so is facing directly into the wind. Leave all legs up, just let it rest on tires and hitch. RV can go 80mph down a freeway. 80mph crosswind will flip it. Sooo point her into the wind, leave it, go park yourself in a shelter.
Considering what the OP said, this is the best advice offered.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
Trailer Trash

I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but I'm not the blinker either.

I' ve been through 2 tornadoes and 3 floods. Midwest has its share of ugly storms. When the world ends on December 21, 2012 because the Mayan calandar runs out you guys can have my new Columbus.

Till then, prayers for the Hurricane Sandy vicitims! Looks like Katrina round 2.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
Graduate Member

I hope he posts soon - but Joelek - excellent advice! As a newbie, I was really scratching my head on possible solutions that took into account his being "stuck" and no windbreaks around. Excellent point!
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but I'm not the blinker either.

I' ve been through 2 tornadoes and 3 floods. Midwest has its share of ugly storms. When the world ends on December 21, 2012 because the Mayan calandar runs out you guys can have my new Columbus.

Till then, prayers for the Hurricane Sandy vicitims! Looks like Katrina round 2.

I'm with Stank Bait- too late now for advice. But as a storm passes, the winds will shift directions. Like I said in my first post, why didn't the OP leave when evacuations were issued. If a ferry quits running and the only road in/out is 3' under water a day before the storm arrives-yes evacuations were issued. If you are on an island and there is a storm coming.....doesn't take much thought process.

I truly feel for those who have had destruction and displacement due to the storm and I am not making lite of it but this is NOT Katrina round 2.

I'm not trying to start a "My storm is bigger than Your storm" discussion.

Until you have been through one of those and all that follows....I've got the Tshirt to prove it.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #27

In 2005 I rode out a category 1 storm in Florida. There was no danger of flood or storm surge there, just wind and rain. It was the scariest thing I ever did - and the dumbest. You could hear and see the walls and roof flexing in my house. Rain was literally sideways. That storm was pretty weak - 75 mph - can't imagine going thru something stronger. Never again would I do something that crazy.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #28

I wanted to let everyone know that the trailer as well as myself made it threw the storm. I ended up leaving the landing gear down and hooking up to the truck. It made it better but I dont think I would want that experience again. I thought about moving into the wind but the wind changed so much I figured I would be constantly moving. I ended up losing internet right after my last post.

Thanks Again Guys
Snowlover4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #29
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That's great news! So glad you made it through ok.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Holy cow yea!

Most likely won't be able to move in any case as there is no fuel. I just got back from driving 15 gallons of my generator gas up to my niece in North Jersey so she could go to work.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #31

good tohear you made it thru the stom- from all the damaged and flooding i saw on the news, i thought yur chances were very small of making it-- must have been scary tho huh?
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #32

Awesome news, good to hear that you are OK.....

If ever in that situation my wife and I have decided we'll head west until we're sure we're out of the way of the storm........
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #33

Great news! Glad you are all well.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #34
Trailer Trash

[QUOTE=Snowlover4u2;271869]I thought about moving into the wind but the wind changed so much I figured I would be constantly moving. /QUOTE]

Glad you made it ok! In the midwest, all we get are tornadoes. They are pretty much 70-150mph straight line winds that last 20 seconds to just a few minutes. Needless to say, I have never been in a hurricane.

When you say wind changed so much, I'd like to learn more about that. What is your estimate of wind change direction. Figuring a circle is 360 degrees - does wind flip around 180 like one section of time it is blowing east and then all the sudden if flips around and blows west? Or is it more like a constant swirling every changing direction event? Or is it just a 90 degree change in direction?

A few years back I flew into Charlotte, NC of freebie miles and then drove down to Key West, FL. I thought about the hurricane events when seeing the evacuation route signs. All I could imagine was being stuck on a one way out highway with thousands of other cars.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #35

Whew, glad you are OK. You got very lucky.
Mike
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #36
carl.net

I am late to this party so cannot help the OP but may be able to help others. I live in FL and plan to use my TT as part of my hurricane evacuation plans. Assuming I leave early enough I can get out of FL and at least two states away in nine hours (I already have multiple planned routes). Depending on the storm that may not get me away from all of the wind but it will get me out of the hurricane. To combat this I have bought four anchors and straps to attach to my TT so that I can partially stabilize it against the wind. If I cannot get far enough away I plan to park the TT against a building and stay in a hotel while the storm passes. Either case I get out of dodge and take a bunch of my stuff with me.

The other thing I have done is purchase three 15 gallon gas cans so that I have 45 gallons of extra fuel. This extra plus what I carry will get me to my planned destination with no requirement for a working gas station.

OP, I am very happy to hear you are OK. Having been through a number of hurricanes in a concrete house I have no urge to experience one in a trailer. Grin.
Tekonsha P3 break controller
- 36 ft Monterey cabin cruiser, Stainless blender
Two 4.7 GXi I/O (2 x 320hp = 640hp)
carl.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Our camper is also part of our "Get of of Dodge" plan.

Curious where you found 15 gallon gas cans and how you plan on lifting them. 5 Gallon cans are pretty heavy when full and take a LONG time to empty into the narrow necks of Unleaded gas filler ports.

I have a battery powered pump for diesel and it works great with the heavier fuel oil. The one time I tried to use it to transfer generator gas to the car's tank (during the annual gas recycle program) I sprayed gas all over the place (leaks from the hose attachment points) before I went back to the tried and true pick it up and hold it till empty method.

New gas gets treated with Sta-Bil and put back in the shed till next year (or another Sandy/Snow/Ice storm).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #38
carl.net

Here is a link to ones like I have
Product: Northern Industrial Poly Gas Caddy — 15-Gallon capacity

Essentially we are talking about 90#s which as you said is heavy but it can be lifted or run up into the bed using a ramp (they have wheels).

As for the fuel discharge I bought a marine fuel pump that I fitted into the hose attachment. I used a marine pump so that it would be spark arrested...
Tekonsha P3 break controller
- 36 ft Monterey cabin cruiser, Stainless blender
Two 4.7 GXi I/O (2 x 320hp = 640hp)
carl.net is offline   Reply With Quote