Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

Suburban Tire Pressure

We are totally green. Picked up our first travel trailer, V-Cross 27VFK. Dealer installed everything we need: equalizer hitch/sway control, electric brakes and adjusted the tire pressure on the Suburban to maximum PSI at 44 PSI. Now Suburban dash sensor reads "check front right tire pressure" then goes trough each tire, stating to check each tire pressure. Is this normal? Tires are inflated as they should be at maximum but now the dash keeps flashing to check the pressures. Has anyone else experienced this, and is it normal?
happytrailswithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #2

What year is your suburban? My 08 Chevy work truck has a relearn tire pressure feature that is in the dash display. If its a newer suburban it probably has it toggle through with your odometer button and see then if you do have something that says relearn tire pressure hold it down till your horn honks and then starting with the furthest tires from the driver which would be passenger rear start putting air in till it honks again and then move to the next one. It recognizes where all your tires are. But heck you may not even have this feature. It's also in the owners manual if you do.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The tpms tire valves are set + or - 10 lbs "normally" from the door sticker pressure on your burb.
If you go above or below these set pressures the light will come on.....

Put the tire pressures back to the door sticker setting and you'll be fine.

If that's not something you want to do then you have two choices.

1 live with the light or

2 buy new higher pressure sensors at 60+ dollars a crack .

Now if you do the second option are you going to lower tire pressures when not pulling a trailer?
Then light comes on again.

Choices choices choices.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Btw what does the door tire pressures say?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
What year is your suburban? My 08 Chevy work truck has a relearn tire pressure feature that is in the dash display. If its a newer suburban it probably has it toggle through with your odometer button and see then if you do have something that says relearn tire pressure hold it down till your horn honks and then starting with the furthest tires from the driver which would be passenger rear start putting air in till it honks again and then move to the next one. It recognizes where all your tires are. But heck you may not even have this feature. It's also in the owners manual if you do.
We have a 07 suburban and I think it dose have this feature. We got out the owner's manual and found the information and will live with the light for the trip. Thanks so much for the reply.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #6

[QUOTE=f1100turbo;382965]The tpms tire valves are set + or - 10 lbs "normally" from the door sticker pressure on your burb.
If you go above or below these set pressures the light will come on.....

Put the tire pressures back to the door sticker setting and you'll be fine.

If that's not something you want to do then you have two choices.

1 live with the light or

2 buy new higher pressure sensors at 60+ dollars a crack .

Now if you do the second option are you going to lower tire pressures when not pulling a trailer?
Then light comes on again.

Choices choices choices.

Thanks for your reply. Dealer set tire pressure at the maximum which is 44psi and we will run with that and ignore the dash light for the trip home. We had the vehicle serviced before the trip up here to pick up the camper and had them make sure tire pressures were where they needed to be, but they must have had them set lower than max. We know we need the higher tire pressure to carry the load, so we'll ignore the dash light. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

Sorry turbs- but my experiance has been that on some vehicles if you differ more than 5psi (on p rated sensor programing) from sticker you will have a light come on.

- you can have the sensors programmed to a different load rating on the tires on some vehicles

- I was playing with my new bi-directional scanner the other day and accidentily programmed my wifes Impala sensors for load range E. Didn't realize I hit the wrong button, it till the light tripped saying the tires were low- then went back and reprogrammed them.
Ps. It takes a $3-4k or more, scanner to do this and not available on all makes, models and years.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:50 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Sorry turbs- but my experiance has been that on some vehicles if you differ more than 5psi (on p rated sensor programing) from sticker you will have a light come on.

- you can have the sensors programmed to a different load rating on the tires on some vehicles

- I was playing with my new bi-directional scanner the other day and accidentily programmed my wifes Impala sensors for load range E. Didn't realize I hit the wrong button, it till the light tripped saying the tires were low- then went back and reprogrammed them.
Ps. It takes a $3-4k or more, scanner to do this and not available on all makes, models and years.
I concur.