Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Engineer of Crazy Train

Suncoast Torque Converters

Hey Gang,

I just recently ordered a Suncoast Torque Converter for my Jeep, since mine is showing signs of letting go, which is common with the Jeep Diesels from 05 and 06. Jeep put a week converter in, and their "fix" for shuddering under load was to derate the engine while the converter is locked up. I never went for a fix, and actually have a tune in her to give full engine torque while the converter is locked up, which probably made it fail sooner. She has 123k on her now.

Has anyone have any experience with Suncoast? I hear good things about them. My diesel mechanic told me to go with the Billet converter over the 'updated' stock. And, he usually tries to find ways to save me money.

I hope to get one more year out of the Jeep as a TV before upgrading to something next year. Then the Jeep will be just for commuting.

Let me hear what you have to say about Suncoast of Billet converters in general.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #2

Of course with several of the Chrysler/Dodge products the transmission was the weak link. It cost me almost as much to upgrade the transmission as I paid for the truck used.
I upgraded with a billet converter and a solid input shaft as well as upgraded clutches. With these upgrades the re-builder guaranteed the transmission to 650hp, even though I have no intention of ever getting there. The Suncoast people have a good reputation.
PM me if you have any other questions.
jonnys_walkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #3

I know nothing of suncoast but there are several reputable companies out there and pretty much any of the aftermarket performance tq converters are better than stock. Chrysler/dodge has always had trans problems in the diesels that much is well known but one thing many don't know is ford had problems with the tq converters in the e40d and 4r100 trans on the powerstroke's they used the tq converters from the gas burners in them and they would last under most stock conditions but in heavier towing apps with stock coolers I know a couple mechanics for construction companies that have had to replace many tq converters and some that even pulled the bolts through the converter and it ripped loose of the flywheel! this is why a few of the companies offer a new flex plate ( flywheel ) with 6 bolt mounting instead of 4 along with the tq converter using 6 bolts instead of 4 as well on those. the performance tq conv's fixed these issues all on stock modes. one thing to look into on your jeep is ask the company that you got the tunes from if they alter the shift points of the trans and lock the tq converter up? will that have a bad effect on the performance tq converter? does the new tq converter have any built in lock up or higher shift points for better towing as well? depending on the company some offer these options built in. http://www.converter.com/diesel_truck.htm

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

Thanks guys.

With the rarity of the Jeep, you have 3 choices. Stock, Suncoast (who has in stock) and ATS (special order and most expensive).

The transmission tune does hold the gears and shift points for better towing than stock. I can put the foot to the floor at 60 on a grade and it will stay in 3rd, locked up at 2700 RPMs. The stock would unlock and the RPMs would be at 4000 with both Temps and EGTs spiking.

Nice thing about this transmission, he 2500s (and maybe 3500s) had it with a Hemi. It is big and heavy duty.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter