Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt11664 View Post
You have a good amount of information on these post. A lot of great and factual information. Personally I would do the modification if you weren't using it as a tow vehicle. Turbocharging would be better. But as unless you are willing to replace piston and camshaft profile, injector flow, calibration and have it tuned . Have the transmission and drive line modified to handle the increased torque and horse power. You woud be better off buying a different truck.
Does the truck have variable valve timing? If so, I'm thinking you could adjust cam settings through tuning. Not sure how much variation you would have, though. Also, while you couldn't change static compression ratio, by playing with the valve timing I think you could affect dynamic compression slightly. I have no idea if these would be feasible- just throwing out some thoughts.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Does the truck have variable valve timing? If so, I'm thinking you could adjust cam settings through tuning. Not sure how much variation you would have, though. Also, while you couldn't change static compression ratio, by playing with the valve timing I think you could affect dynamic compression slightly. I have no idea if these would be feasible- just throwing out some thoughts.
No it doesn't.
As I mentioned, I've recently had a Black Bear tune done which much improves the notoriously bad factory tune. The tune also limits, or eliminates the power robbing torque management from the factory.

Black Bear Performance :: Custom Tuning Solutions for 96 and newer GM Vehicles

My research revealed that the cam that is stock on the LQ4 is the same as the 2002 Camaro LS!, the LQ4 has more cubic inches than the LS1, but the block is iron and not aluminum, the LQ4 317 heads out flow the LS1 241 heads and with a simple tune, the 300HP LQ4 can surpass the 345HP rated LQ9 6.0 that came in the Escalade/SS etc, they are severely detuned from the factory.

It will be interesting to feel what the difference is just with the new ECM flash with the Crusader in tow. Can't wait.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #43

Go to PerformanceTrucks.net Forums. It is a sister site of ls1tech.com. It is primarily a racing site like ls1tech, but there are plenty of guys that tow with s/c. The magnacharger is ideal for towing as it produces massive tq just of idle. You will want to add an larger aftermarket transmission cooler. Ask around over there and you will get a ton of advice and real world experience from guys that tow.
quicksilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverado View Post
Go to PerformanceTrucks.net Forums. It is a sister site of ls1tech.com. It is primarily a racing site like ls1tech, but there are plenty of guys that tow with s/c. The magnacharger is ideal for towing as it produces massive tq just of idle. You will want to add an larger aftermarket transmission cooler. Ask around over there and you will get a ton of advice and real world experience from guys that tow.
Good info, thanks.
I've been there and you do have to sort out the many street racers from guys like us. Lots of rave reviews regarding the durability, design and tuning options for the LS platform.
The comments and experiences there helps build a good case for the TVS1900 on my stock LQ4.
Curt Q20

Old 01-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #45

I see you joined pt.net. I am a hot rodder at heart. I haved towed several times with my truck, but not in its current form. I would not hesitate to tow with a ls1 platform and a magnacharger. Especially with the 4l80e behind it.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #46

OP, your 6.0 is a LS based engine. Adding 6 psi of boost is nothing for its stock bottom end. However, I would look at a Procharger as you will become very tired of the "whine" the magnacharger will produce.

You can get the procharger with a tuner to remap the ECU. But you will also probably need a bit higher psi injectors as well. You would really need to speak to the company that supports whatever charger you buy about it.

But you will need to address the drive line, beefier TC and probably just add a trans-co shift kit to the trans.
Mattpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #47

Procharger will not give the low end tq that a roots s/c will. The newer TVS s/c is extremely quiet compared to the older model roots s/c also.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #48

Money money money cause ya hate Diesels. With a S/C you are going to want to show the Diesel guy's how much this bad boy has. There goes your mileage. Most of us never did squat to our trucks.Get a DIESEL
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:31 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Money money money cause ya hate Diesels. With a S/C you are going to want to show the Diesel guy's how much this bad boy has. There goes your mileage. Most of us never did squat to our trucks.Get a DIESEL
The mileage savings on a Diesel compared to a Gasser is a joke. My experience with the past 5 Diesel pickups and 2 Gassers is that the savings is not there for it to even be a consideration. Especially when you consider that diesel on average is $0.50 higher a gallon.

My pickup sits at 11 mpg empty and 7-8 mpg towing. The only two diesels that I had that got decent mileage was my 96 12v and my 04.5 3500 Cummins.

This guy will be ahead of the game SC his gasser if that works for him.
Mattpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:19 AM   #50

Quote:
We have a winner.

Mileage? Y'all are really worried about mileage with towing? Like the few cents of difference between the 8mpg gas and the 10 mpg diesel are really gonna break your bank? When you've already shelled out a few thousand for your camper? In case you haven't noticed, this isn't a cheap hobby/pastime/pursuit. Supercharging is throwing good money after bad, unless you're just taking it to the drag strip. For towing, diesel is the right tool.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #51

Quote:
Procharger will not give the low end tq that a roots s/c will. The newer TVS s/c is extremely quiet compared to the older model roots s/c also.
Spot on. I've confirmed this on the new TVS designs.

Thanks for the support, and encouragement, friends.
My intention here was to initiate a thoughtful, mature dialog regarding viable options to improve the performance of our gas powered TVs. I made it clear in the beginning that I didn't need to hear preaching about Diesels.
Again - I get it, not interested.
Curt Q20

Old 02-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #52

We get you don't WANT to hear preaching about diesels, but as Chandler Bing once said in a "Friends" episode--"well, you're gonna!"

What you're proposing to do is neither smart nor cost effecive in the long run for what you're trying to accomplish. By the time you add up the cost of the parts (and labor) for the charger, plus having to "beef up this" and "upgrade that," you're not going to come out ahead of a diesel at all. So for you to type and say that the diesel option isn't cost effective and you're not interested, doesn't hold water. Not to mention the real possibility of having some serious broken down components 2-3 years down the road from running that charger full blast for extended periods of time while towing. We're trying to save you the headache of going "Wow, maybe I should have bought a diesel like those guys on FRF said."

Now if you're into the SC just for the sake of doing it for $i@#s and giggles, then by all means go for it. It would probably be pretty unique at the drag strip. But don't tell us that you want to build a truck for towing but ignore the diesel option. That road doesn't end well, my friend. I won't even get into the resale value of a diesel truck vs your aftermarket supercharger equipped gasser...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #53
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
We get you don't WANT to hear preaching about diesels, but as Chandler Bing once said in a "Friends" episode--"well, you're gonna!"

What you're proposing to do is neither smart nor cost effecive in the long run for what you're trying to accomplish. By the time you add up the cost of the parts (and labor) for the charger, plus having to "beef up this" and "upgrade that," you're not going to come out ahead of a diesel at all. So for you to type and say that the diesel option isn't cost effective and you're not interested, doesn't hold water. Not to mention the real possibility of having some serious broken down components 2-3 years down the road from running that charger full blast for extended periods of time while towing. We're trying to save you the headache of going "Wow, maybe I should have bought a diesel like those guys on FRF said."

Now if you're into the SC just for the sake of doing it for $i@#s and giggles, then by all means go for it. It would probably be pretty unique at the drag strip. But don't tell us that you want to build a truck for towing but ignore the diesel option. That road doesn't end well, my friend. I won't even get into the resale value of a diesel truck vs your aftermarket supercharger equipped gasser...
I concur.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #54

He will not be anywhere near full throttle with the s/c. Many guys have gone this route before towing enclosed race trailers with none of the issues above.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #55

The SC can be installed by oneself and some buddies eliminating labor costs. It can also be removed and sold, I would love to find a good used unit. These vehicles need no engine or drive-line strengthening. It seems as though some are seeing a huge honking roots unit busting out through the hood, and some sticky mickys fillin up the wheel wells. These new units have millions of proven, dependable miles on them and the engines they sit on, again right foot causes all the trouble. It will be about $6k parts, add about 100-120 lbs TQ, not significantly decrease fuel economy,(right foot) and run on a cheaper fuel. Last but not least, it will be fun as hell when not towing... Went back and looked at your TV specs, with 410s that would be a hell of a lot of fun, might be able to get some green to pay it back too.

This unit would apply to my TV, all are similar.
GM Truck SUV 4.8L 5.3L 6.0L 2003 Retro Radix Magnuson Supercharger - Magnuson Products, LLC
2003 GMC 1500HD 4X4 6.0 3:73 Diablo tuner
mattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #56

Quote:
He will not be anywhere near full throttle with the s/c. Many guys have gone this route before towing enclosed race trailers with none of the issues above.
Ya right. No way this guy would ever crank up that S/C. Please. Every chance he gets to show off. Just not from the getup and go.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #57

And if he does? It's his rig, from page one it's been mentioned to protect the trans and driveline. So long as he knows the potential consequences who cares if he puts nitrous on it?

He's going to be running modest boost levels, with a tune that will include mapping for the trans (Did you know a 4L80E can bark second harder than the TH400 in my car? Mapping.) so if he drives it as he says he'll be fine.

And if he doesn't, it's his money. Lots of other things to worry about.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #58

SK Your TV have a S/C? Or are you saying it's his money let him do what he wants? That's cool we were just debating the gasser conversion to supercharging and the get'r done stock Diesel.;o)
Old 02-09-2015, 11:22 PM   #59

Quote:
SK Your TV have a S/C? Or are you saying it's his money let him do what he wants? That's cool we were just debating the gasser conversion to supercharging and the get'r done stock Diesel.;o)
Actually my TV has a nice big Holset turbo hanging on the side of a Cummins, and if the money gods smile on me in a few weeks I'll be hanging a whole lot more on there.

But I've hung a few of these things, and they work really, really well. Does it turn it into a diesel? No it doesn't and if you bothered to actually read the OP, not once did he ask about comparing the two or how hammer down he'll be trying to show up diesels.

He likes his truck, he wants more oomph, a properly installed supercharger kit will give him near diesel performance and will include protecting the driveline.

Will it become a diesel? You're the only one debating that.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:46 PM   #60

Not the only one. Just saying what others have said. Don't get in a huff. i read what he said about not getting in to the Diesel thing and it did. So hang all ya can.

Tags
boost, charging, forced induction, gas, supercharging, towing