Old 01-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #31

I had the factory supercharger installed in our Tundra at around 23K miles, I now have over 70K on the clock and no drive train trouble at all. Dealer did the install, the Supercharger and all carried the extended warranty we bought with the truck, 100K or 7 yrs. Seven years has passed so out of warranty. They installed low heat range iridium tip spark plugs, high flow fuel injectors, hi pressure fuel pump and custom ECU calibration. The blower itself has it's own custom low temp radiator and is a water to air intercooler. The 5.7 had 381hp / 401 lb-ft stock, with the blower it has 504hp / 550 lb-ft. It does require Premium fuel 91 octane or higher. Would I do it again, yep, in a heartbeat. The Tundra did a good job towing before the blower but since it has been added it's a beast and will eat any mountain without breathing hard.

PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #32

obviously, more air needs more fuel. I used to tow with a 6.0 gas so I know how much gas they already consume. I can't imagine how bad it would be after this

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
obviously, more air needs more fuel. I used to tow with a 6.0 gas so I know how much gas they already consume. I can't imagine how bad it would be after this

Exactly. I don't believe the "your engine works less so you get better mpg". Anytime you're raising fuel pressure, through bigger injectors, to compensate for more air, your mpg is going to drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-26-2015, 11:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Exactly. I don't believe the "your engine works less so you get better mpg". Anytime you're raising fuel pressure, through bigger injectors, to compensate for more air, your mpg is going to drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
True, and if he plants his foot in it to run up a hill at 80, then yeah he'll drink the gas.

But here's how that potential increase works. All numbers are used for demonstration purposes only and not to be taken as gospel. To move his rig down the road at 60MPH it takes say, 275HP. Now, to achieve that 275HP he has to run at 2/3 throttle.

But with a supercharger and the right tune it makes that same power at 1/2 throttle or even less. The overall efficiency is increased and in the end should consume less fuel

And when he climbs a hill that extra power will allow him to use less throttle, less RPM since the trans won't be commanded to downshift giving some savings there.

Yes, with more air you need more fuel. But when that extra air is used sparingly and properly he'll likely see an increase. It won't be 10MPG, but 1-2 is likely and with better driveability.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:21 AM   #35

exactly, any time you are adding boost you are increasing volumetric efficiency from ~80-90% naturally aspirated to beyond 100% (depending on boost and a billion other factors)

He does stand a chance to increase his cruising MPG slightly (especially so with a good tune) and although it may eat alot more fuel than it already does when hes got the hammer down to pass some meathead doing half the speedlimit or climb a gnarly hill, it will have alot more power on tap to do so.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #36

Towing I get a consistent 10 - 11 mpg over all. Yep if you put your foot into it she will really drink the fuel. Towing my max speed is 60 - 65 mph. On interstate hwy where limits are 75 & 80 I still run 65 in the right lane (ST tires) and best mpg. With the truck without a load she will get 18 - 20 mpg hwy and 16+ in town. That's about what I got before the sc. I'm 68 yrs old so my drag racing days are far behind me but when the sc was first installed I did have a little fun with it.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
I had the factory supercharger installed in our Tundra at around 23K miles, I now have over 70K on the clock and no drive train trouble at all. Dealer did the install, the Supercharger and all carried the extended warranty we bought with the truck, 100K or 7 yrs. Seven years has passed so out of warranty. They installed low heat range iridium tip spark plugs, high flow fuel injectors, hi pressure fuel pump and custom ECU calibration. The blower itself has it's own custom low temp radiator and is a water to air intercooler. The 5.7 had 381hp / 401 lb-ft stock, with the blower it has 504hp / 550 lb-ft. It does require Premium fuel 91 octane or higher. Would I do it again, yep, in a heartbeat. The Tundra did a good job towing before the blower but since it has been added it's a beast and will eat any mountain without breathing hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
Towing I get a consistent 10 - 11 mpg over all. Yep if you put your foot into it she will really drink the fuel. Towing my max speed is 60 - 65 mph. On interstate hwy where limits are 75 & 80 I still run 65 in the right lane (ST tires) and best mpg. With the truck without a load she will get 18 - 20 mpg hwy and 16+ in town. That's about what I got before the sc. I'm 68 yrs old so my drag racing days are far behind me but when the sc was first installed I did have a little fun with it.
Good info, and that Tundra is a beast, those are crazy numbers. Dyno tested?
Looks like you are towing a similar sized 5er as mine, maybe even heavier. 10-11 mpg towing is great. That would be an improvement over my current 9mpg. A 10% improvement in mpg would pay for the premium fuel cost adder too.

The Magnuson includes a pair of intercooler rads in the intake, coupled to a self contained coolant pump setup with a radiator mounted in the grill. larger injectors, a bigger fuel pump and a K&N intake. It also has an interesting bypass valve that provides a blower bypass during low power requirements. The blower consumes about 1/2hp to operate at any time.

Again, great feedback. It's exciting to have more viable options for producing the power needed to tow these big trailers.

Keep the comments coming.

2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
2006 Silverado 2500HD LT SW ECSB, 6L LQ4/4L80E 4.10s w/16K Curt slider (not necessary), Air Lift bags & Black Bear Performance tune & CAI

Norm & Karen Zondervan
zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #38

when you add something on like a supercharger that sounds awesome, it's impossible to not keep pressing on the go pedal so you can hear it work
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #39

No, not dyno tested, seat tested. Sure is nice for merging into traffic when some idiot tries to squeeze you out. I have given dyno testing some thought, not racing it so what would be the point. The $$$ can go to the next camping trip.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:24 AM   #40

You have a good amount of information on these post. A lot of great and factual information. Personally I would do the modification if you weren't using it as a tow vehicle. Turbocharging would be better. But as unless you are willing to replace piston and camshaft profile, injector flow, calibration and have it tuned . Have the transmission and drive line modified to handle the increased torque and horse power. You woud be better off buying a different truck.

Tags
boost, charging, forced induction, gas, supercharging, towing