Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Ya right. No way this guy would ever crank up that S/C. Please. Every chance he gets to show off. Just not from the getup and go.
I was referring to when he will be towing. When not towing I am sure he will stomping on the fun pedal.
quicksilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #62

quick.I like testing mustangs.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #63

Nice. here is my heap.

Quicksilverado - Tuningprojekter - Video - Uploadet af Martin Rammstein .
quicksilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:52 PM   #64

That was not mine. Just say'n i can keep or beat most of the older gt's. But a 10 sec street truck! Not mine. Nice tag.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #65

update

Hello friends,
I thought to offer an update on this subject.

I mentioned that I wanted to see how my Black Bear Performance tune did before throwing the switch on the Maggie.

Well - after towing the 5er for the first time after the tune, I'm quite pleased with the increased performance. I am now able to accelerate while towing up modest grades at highway speeds (65mph) in overdrive, which was not the case before. Not bad for a 2500HD 6L gasser pulling a 12,000# 5er IMO. Money well spent on the tune me thinks.

I can always go with the Maggie in the future, but for now I'm running the Heavy Chevy as is.

Thanks again for all of the feedback and encouragement.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #66

Not being a smart ass here but you could of done that with a Diesel with no tune.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Not being a smart ass here but you could of done that with a Diesel with no tune.
Umm...That's the definition of being a smart *&^ !!!
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #68

Ground pounding, stump pulling, dependable low RPM raw torque, ease of mind towing will not be sucessfully accomplished long term by a huffed up gasser ... at least in the 12,000+ towing arena. To each his own on fuel choices for TV's ... I wonder why over the road truckers always go diesel?????????????
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Thanks Brakeman
Yes, I could 'have' done that with a diesel, but I didn't. Cool huh?
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #70

I just can't bite it here ... diesels run way cooler than gassers any day of the week. With a huffed up gasser you'll aways be combatting heat buildup and may eventually have to go to a larger radiator to get rid of that heat. Like you said ... it's your thing, but for the higher weight towing diesel crowd .... we're not impressed as we know the long term outcome despite the awesome look of a huffer atop your engine.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #71

Blah, blah, mine is better.
Blah, blah, I don't know how to let things go.
Blah, blah, mine is better.
Blah, blah, blah, blah.
Understood. Moving on.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #72

What kind of quarter mile times are you getting? <smile>
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #73
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I just can't bite it here ... diesels run way cooler than gassers any day of the week. With a huffed up gasser you'll aways be combatting heat buildup and may eventually have to go to a larger radiator to get rid of that heat. Like you said ... it's your thing, but for the higher weight towing diesel crowd .... we're not impressed as we know the long term outcome despite the awesome look of a huffer atop your engine.
I know it's hard for you diesel guys to understand, but some folks just don't want or like diesels when a gasser will pull the load. Whether the engine under the hood burns gas or diesel fuel has no bearing whatsoever on my physical being. So the engine temp is 200+ on a gasser or 180 on a diesel, I just don't feel it.

As for going up hill faster, I am not in a hurry anyway as long as I can get up the hill which I've always managed.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #74

hay! ya know what? My Mercedes Sprinter diesel could not begin a hill without it's blower. Think about it super charger, turbo charger a blower is a blower.
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
The reply was directed at the OP. If he took it in a different manor than i intended or was offended i apologize. You MEH!
Old 05-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #76
Tinkerer and Putterer

Before reading on please realize that I tend to over engineer when it comes to upgrades. I hate to be left stranded.

For future reference in case the op decides to go for the boost. The weak point in your trans is cooling capacity and the torque converter. Lookout for a ballooning converter, especially if the trans hasn't been rebuilt. The rest of the guts of the trans should handle the towing, power and then some but I would drop another 500 - 1000 on an upgraded converter with the stock stall speed or a bit lower. Going lower will actually give you about the same stall you had before thanks to the higher torque from the supercharger. This will help keep the heat down in the trans when under load. More slip from a higher stall = more heat
I would consider upgrading the stock trans cooler or adding another one. I would also add an inline thermostat to allow the trans to heat up to operating temperature before kicking in the trans cooler. Too big of a cooler can cause problems too it if doesn't allow the trans to come up to temp.

Then the weak link will be your rear diff. If you have a limited slip expect those clutches to be the next thing to go but if they do you'll be fine. You just won't have limited slip anymore. If that happens then think of it as an excuse to upgrade!

It is unrelated but there is a chance you have a "combo" block in that truck of yours. Slide under there and look for 4.8 5.3 6.0 stamped on the side. If it's there then congratulations you have an early rebuildable block which has thicker cylinder walls. If you have it then I really wouldn't worry about the boost but expect to replace a head gasket or two during all your fun
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:27 PM   #77
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Want some pulling power.........use the longest connecting rod you can. Big port heads are only good for top end power, and depending on pulley size, how much boost you'l get.....If a person buys a blower, get the whole deal from the blower co.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boost, charging, forced induction, gas, supercharging, towing