Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

SuperSpring Sway Stops

SuperSprings SuperSway-Stops Anti-Sway System for Air Spring Suspensions SuperSprings Vehicle Suspension SSS-1

Has anyone installed these on your trucks?

I have a F350 and noticed that Ford has softened the springs to allow for a better ride. This causes just about any weight to bring the truck down to the over load springs, which seems to carry most of the weight. I was thinking of putting these on the truck so that the over load springs would pick up the weight sooner and thus eliminate and/or reduce any squatting without really stiffening the suspension when not loaded.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #2

Ford knows what they are doing.
Do you have an optioned out low payload truck?
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #3

No, my truck has a GVWR of 11,500lbs which is the highest you can get with my configuration. I'm sure the truck squats as designed but I want limited or no squat. Ford designs their vehicles for the market and most of the market wants trucks that ride like cars. I, do not! Just like my F250 which was level until I put a lift in the back because I wanted the rake of the F350!

So, again, I'm asking for those that have installed these and if they noticed a difference in the stance of the truck, under load!
Old 09-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
daydreaming about camping

As I read that link - they keep talking about reducing sway, not squat. I am not sure they will do what you want. I believe the intention is to keep a physical connection between the frame and the overload spring at all times, but not necessarily a compressed connection.

A certain amount of squat is good.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #5

I can't really tell if these are fully bridging the gap between the stop and the overload spring or not. If they are, your ride will stiffen substantially while unloaded. It will be essentially activating the overload springs all the time. This is caused by increasing the spring rate which is what the overloads do. If you are trying to increase spring rate to keep from squating I would suggest a set of air bags. Air bags will allow you to increase or decrease spring rate to get the truck sitting level. Increasing spring rate will also control the body roll and sway that the superspring is stating it will do. The super spring system is accomplishing the same as I mentioned by applying the overload all the time (I assume) which gives you no adjust-ability where the air bags will give you unlimited control. Also air bags you can deflate to nothing, manufacturer suggests 5psi min and I run mine down to 1psi or so just to keep the shape and doesn't affect my ride at all empty.

Long story short, I'd suggest scrapping the superspring idea and get a set of air bags...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
As I read that link - they keep talking about reducing sway, not squat. I am not sure they will do what you want. I believe the intention is to keep a physical connection between the frame and the overload spring at all times, but not necessarily a compressed connection.

A certain amount of squat is good.
They reduce sway by engaging the over load springs. They are designed for the use of air bags which, when inflated, don't allow the factory stops to reach the over load springs thus effecting stability. They will reduce squat, in my application, because currently the truck has to drop three inches to get to the springs. With the stops, the truck will only drop an inch instead. By that very reasoning, it will reduce the over all squatting of the truck.

This is from etrailer;

Can I use the SSS-1 on a F-250 Super Duty without the air bags? I need the overload spring to work earlier in the compression cycle to maintain ride level . I do not want any harder ride when unloaded.
asked by: Randy C

Expert Reply:
As long as you have factory overload springs on your 2001 Ford F-250 then you can install the SuperSprings SuperSway-Stops Anti-Sway System # SSS-1 on your vehicle whether you have air bags or not. I checked with my contact at SuperSprings to confirm this.

Since this is an overload spring you will not feel the effects of this suspension enhancement until there is a load on your vehicle.

I attached an installation video for this product for you to check out also.
expert reply by: Jameson C
Old 09-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #7

It will only decrease the overall squat of the amount of weight it would take to compress the normal leaves to the point of resting on the overloads. From that point on it will be the same spring rate as before. It is just engaging the overloads earlier.

I still feel that air bags would be a much better route... I will stand by air bags and say that any 3/4 or 1 ton working truck should have air bags installed. They are a great addition as they add the extra stability side to side as well as an unlimited amount of possibilities to level the truck front to rear...

Old 09-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline38 View Post
They reduce sway by engaging the over load springs. They are designed for the use of air bags which, when inflated, don't allow the factory stops to reach the over load springs thus effecting stability. They will reduce squat, in my application, because currently the truck has to drop three inches to get to the springs. With the stops, the truck will only drop an inch instead. By that very reasoning, it will reduce the over all squatting of the truck.

This is from etrailer;

Can I use the SSS-1 on a F-250 Super Duty without the air bags? I need the overload spring to work earlier in the compression cycle to maintain ride level . I do not want any harder ride when unloaded.
asked by: Randy C

Expert Reply:
As long as you have factory overload springs on your 2001 Ford F-250 then you can install the SuperSprings SuperSway-Stops Anti-Sway System # SSS-1 on your vehicle whether you have air bags or not. I checked with my contact at SuperSprings to confirm this.

Since this is an overload spring you will not feel the effects of this suspension enhancement until there is a load on your vehicle.

I attached an installation video for this product for you to check out also.
expert reply by: Jameson C
With the caveat that if you are trying to prevent squat then air bags are the logical choice...

I am still having trouble understanding two things:
1) for these compression bumpstops to reduce squat, they have to increase spring rate, which means rougher ride un-loaded.

2) and overload springs is just that, a springs that is engaged when the first packs are over-loaded (not to be confused with overloading any recommended weight rating.) The entire spring pack is designed to work together. These compression bumpstops would basically take the place of the first two arches in the spring pack and place loads directly on the overload, which means you actually DECREASE the overall effectiveness of the spring pack by only using the overload. I can't see how it would work any other way.

If your ride height is truly the concern here, I think an adjustable system like an airbag is the only way to go. I know in my situation, I can adjust my ride height quite a bit with my airbags.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
These compression bumpstops would basically take the place of the first two arches in the spring pack and place loads directly on the overload, which means you actually DECREASE the overall effectiveness of the spring pack by only using the overload. I can't see how it would work any other way.

Never really thought of this. Initially I disagreed with this but after looking at a leaf pack and pondering it you would be correct. You will/would be putting the weight onto the tips of the overloads, which isn't going to make for a very comfortable ride. AND as you said the first pack/s will be rendered almost useless as the overload is now being fully actuated where in the normal setup the overload is slowly applied as the first pack/s compress and the surfaces mate more and more as the weight increases till the entire face of the overload is contacted.

Where as the air bag rides solely on the main pack/s and only these unless air pressure is added. The more pressure the less force applied to these packs. So essentially the air bag would be replacing the overload is a loaded scenario and with the bags deflated are virtually existent.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
It will only decrease the overall squat of the amount of weight it would take to compress the normal leaves to the point of resting on the overloads. From that point on it will be the same spring rate as before. It is just engaging the overloads earlier.
EXACTLY..... The first pack allows for, let's say, two inches of drop before the weight is on the over loads which then allows for, lets say, a one inch drop. By making the stops longer, the weight will be picked up by the over loads after only an inch drop, thus eliminating a one inch drop because the compression of the over load spring should not change. (these are just numbers and not actual)

Quote:
With the caveat that if you are trying to prevent squat then air bags are the logical choice...

I am still having trouble understanding two things:
1) for these compression bumpstops to reduce squat, they have to increase spring rate, which means rougher ride un-loaded.

2) and overload springs is just that, a springs that is engaged when the first packs are over-loaded (not to be confused with overloading any recommended weight rating.) The entire spring pack is designed to work together. These compression bumpstops would basically take the place of the first two arches in the spring pack and place loads directly on the overload, which means you actually DECREASE the overall effectiveness of the spring pack by only using the overload. I can't see how it would work any other way.

If your ride height is truly the concern here, I think an adjustable system like an airbag is the only way to go. I know in my situation, I can adjust my ride height quite a bit with my airbags.
1) These are not engaged all of the time, so they would not affect the unloaded ride. Unless the road was rough enough to compress the suspension enough to cause contact.

2) In a way, yes, the first spring pack would not be compressed, as much, before the weight was being picked up by the overloads. But, since it takes little weight to get onto the over loads anyway, they are basically doing nothing now, besides supporting the truck while unloaded.

The main thing being, the stops are $170 for the pair. The air bags are over $300 and that does not include the on board systems which also run over $300. I will be picking up my fifth wheel on Friday and will see how the truck sits. If it is level with the camper, then I will leave it as it is. If it squats too low, for my liking, then I will order the stops and provide pictures and a written opinion of the affects of these stops.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #11

I seen that after posting that these will not be in contact all the time. This being said that they are hanging just above the overloads means that if you hit a bump and it is severe enough to move the axle the inch or so of the gap you will instantly apply 100% of the overload spring. By doing this you spike the spring rate and will JOLT the truck. This is in the unloaded situation. Now load it to where the spring is compressed some and it will be smoother but still stiff.

I HIGHLY suggest air bags. $300 is relatively cheap in comparisons to your $50K truck and assuming $50k trailer. I personally would forgo the on board compressor as you only really need to adjust pressure when you hook up, so maybe once or twice per trip, and the volume is next to nothing.

I purchased a small hand bike pump to fill mine up... Takes maybe 20 pumps per side for me to reach the 15-20 psi in the bags to level my ride.

Air bags will give you a much more controlled ride as when you hit bumps and go up and down with the rear end you have the same spring rate at all times where with the bump stops you will be engaging and disengaging the overloads with each bump. sending the spring rate up and down.

You will be money ahead with a bag system. I installed bags and a hellwig big wig rear sway bar on mine as well as my dads 2012 cummins and we both love them and wont tow heavy without. My father pulls a 2013 columbus 40' with 2200LBS of tongue weight when loaded and rides incredibly smooth!

My $.02 is buy the bags!

Old 09-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #12

SO, I picked up the camper and everything rides fairly level so I am going to leave it stock for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130906_090132_220-1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	39420  
Old 09-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #13

Looks great!
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying dutchman View Post
Looks great!
Thanks..............love it so far. Spent the day building shelves for the basement and installing tv's!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #15

Nice rig! That does appear to sit pretty nicely for you!

I don't feel that your 1 ton will have any stability issues with the camper in tow. If it does start to get kind of squishy feeling in the back I'd suggest air bags, but I am doubting you'll have any trouble there!

Again beautiful!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #16

Now the camper is loaded, so we will see what the extra pin weight does. At this point, I looked at a couple options for bags and found that most will not work with the installed custom Reese fifth wheel brackets. So, here's hoping I won't need them!

Tags
sway