Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #1

Surveyor SV305

just going to purchase this TT and was wondeing if my 2007 F150 with 5.4l will pull the trailer?its a reg cab short box 4x4 not sure of the gear ratio but the sticker on the door says 6850.i dont have the weight of the trailer but the dealer told me about 7700 loaded.I will only pulll this home once this year as we are using it to live in while we build our new home,but next year we will want to travel using this truck if possible.Also if this setup works what else would I need as far as hitch,trailer brake control or tranny cooler.Any and all comments or suggestions are appreciated

Old 02-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I hate to be blunt, but no way would I do it.

You have a 126" tow vehicle pulling a trailer that is almost 36'. You truck should be limited to about 25' maximum trailer length. A good rule of thumb is to divide your tow vehicle wheelbase in inches by 5, and that will give you maximum overall trailer length in feet.

You have a tow vehicle that is rated to tow either 7700 or 8200 lbs., depending on the final drive gearing. With a 7181 listed dry weight, that puppy is going to probably be 7600 lbs. coming off of the lot after adding options, a battery, and propane. Also, the listed GCWR of your truck is either 13,000 or 13,500 lbs. depending on the gearing.......you are probably going to be over that loaded for camping.

Check out your truck stats here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...trp16May07.pdf

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #3

no problem being blunt,I just want people to be honest as I am totally new at all of this so any and all help good or bad blunt or not is still very much appreciated.I should clarify that I will be only pulling it about 100 miles then parking it and not sure if we would pull it again at this time after living in it for 4 to 5 months.lol
Old 02-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #4

If this truck wont pull this trailer,which one should a person get as I would like to stick with a Ford.Should it be diesel or gas any suggestions?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don59 View Post
If this truck wont pull this trailer,which one should a person get as I would like to stick with a Ford.Should it be diesel or gas any suggestions?
Don, it is not that your truck won't pull that camper it probably wil. But in my opinion it just won't be a pleasant or safe towing experience.

Since you want to stick with Ford, a long wheelbased (crew cab, 8' bed) F250 with the V10 or diesel with a 3.73 or 4.10 final drive ratio should do the trick.

Quote:
I should clarify that I will be only pulling it about 100 miles then parking it and not sure if we would pull it again at this time after living in it for 4 to 5 months.lol
Instead of purchasing another truck to pull it 100 miles and then parking it, why not get the dealer to deliver it to your seasonal site???

Old 02-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #6

I had an SV304LE and a Long Wheelbase Yukon Denali to tow it, rated at 8900, and let me tell you it was scary to drive. I always felt like the trailer was pushing me not me towing it. I later upgraded to a HD truck and have never felt more comfortable towing a trailer.

If I was going to tow it just once I would probably use your truck, if you think your going to tow it to camp regularly buy a 250 or bigger.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #7

First of all thanks to all that replied good or bad.I got more info on the truck and trailer so hope this will give me more info on wheather I can tow this trailer.07 Ford F150 reg cab with 126 inch wheel base,tow package with 3.73 limited slip 17 inch wheels.The trailer which is my first is a Surveyor sv305 with a dry weight of just under 7700 lbs.Hope someone could tell me for sure if I can tow this trailer without any problem as i sign the paper work on Friday for the trailer
Old 02-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
First of all thanks to all that replied good or bad.I got more info on the truck and trailer so hope this will give me more info on wheather I can tow this trailer.07 Ford F150 reg cab with 126 inch wheel base,tow package with 3.73 limited slip 17 inch wheels.The trailer which is my first is a Surveyor sv305 with a dry weight of just under 7700 lbs.Hope someone could tell me for sure if I can tow this trailer without any problem as i sign the paper work on Friday for the trailer
Looks like several posters here have already answered your question.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny9r
I had an SV304LE and a Long Wheelbase Yukon Denali to tow it, rated at 8900, and let me tell you it was scary to drive. I always felt like the trailer was pushing me not me towing it. I later upgraded to a HD truck and have never felt more comfortable towing a trailer.

If I was going to tow it just once I would probably use your truck, if you think your going to tow it to camp regularly buy a 250 or bigger.
Re post for op
Old 02-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #10

We have the 2011 305 but not the model thats up on the FR website now, they currently just changed a few things adding more weight so it depends on which model your talking about.
We have the same truck (2006) you do but my husband thinks you have different gear ratios because ours tows 8600. He has also done some upgrades to the exhaust and added a computer for better fuel.
We have had NO problems towing at at all and our transmission temperature has been consistent when were towing and not towing. I would take it for a test drive up a steep grade before buying to make sure you have no problems and make sure you get a good hitch with sway bars and brake assist.
hope this helps

Tags