Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #1

Question SUV capable of towing 3,000 lb trailer?

Hello! We're looking to replace our 2007 Toyota Sienna with an SUV capable of towing our trailer. The Sienna does OK for trips of an hour or less from home, but the engine struggles and it sways a bit on the highway.

I just got home from the Ford dealer... initially we wanted to look at a used Ford Expedition, but the sales person said that would be too much "muscle" and we could look at a Ford Explorer or Ford Flex instead.

I like the idea of a smaller SUV, but am concerned that we will encounter the same issues we do with the mini-van as the engines are roughly the same size. We also have been driving exclusively Toyota's and Honda's for the last 15 years and are nervous about reliability of American cars.

We're open to new or used, only drive about 7,000 or so miles a year, and just want something that will be reliable as well as comfortable as an everyday vehicle. Any suggestions?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingChiquita View Post
...I just got home from the Ford dealer... initially we wanted to look at a used Ford Expedition, but the sales person said that would be too much "muscle" and we could look at a Ford Explorer or Ford Flex instead...
I think your Ford salesman is "out to lunch". An Expedition or Suburban would be just fine. Don't think you have to worry so much about American vehicles any more.

Look what happened to Toyota just this week. $1,000,000,000+ fine.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #3

Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukons are very nice vehicles and are plentiful used because of their popularity
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #4

My Dodge Durango V8 Hemi tows my 3600 lb trailer very nicely. I have a 2006 Durango with the tow package, of course. Towed my trailer to Alaska and back last summer. 11000 mile trip. No problems. Good luck with your hunt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3432.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	48113  
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #5

our bmw x5 is rated to something like 6000lbs.....but no...ive never tried....did pull the boat once @ about 4500....was real solid and smooth...but a boat has like no frontal area compared to a trailer....its a twin turbo v8 x5

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #6

[QUOTE=FishingChiquita;568535]Hello! We're looking to replace our 2007 Toyota Sienna with an SUV capable of towing our trailer. The Sienna does OK for trips of an hour or less from home, but the engine struggles and it sways a bit on the highway.

I just got home from the Ford dealer... initially we wanted to look at a used Ford Expedition, but the sales person said that would be too much "muscle" and we could look at a Ford Explorer or Ford Flex instead.

I like the idea of a smaller SUV, but am concerned that we will encounter the same issues we do with the mini-van as the engines are roughly the same size. We also have been driving exclusively Toyota's and Honda's for the last 15 years and are nervous about reliability of American cars.

We're open to new or used, only drive about 7,000 or so miles a year, and just want something that will be reliable as well as comfortable as an everyday vehicle. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE

I used a 2005 Durango to tow my TT and never had any issues. It now has 180,000 + miles on it and is my daily driver. I plan to get well over 200,000 out of it. I now tow with a 2013 Expedition EL, has just over 30,000 miles on it with no problems so far.

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:46 AM   #7
Engineer of Crazy Train

My Jeep Liberty Diesel tows my 4400lbs trailer with ease. It isn't for the inexperienced because I feel this setup is at the limit of the vehicle. If you have the money, look into Jeep Grand Cherokee or VW Toureg diesels.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 Tablet using the FRF Android App!
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wow, 1st time I ever heard of that !! Maybe it is time to find another salesman.

The trailer is not listed, but according to the profile page, it is a Salem Cruise Lite 195 BH. That trailer is going to be in the 4500 lb. range after options and camping gear are added, so it is no longer a 3000 lb. trailer.

IIRC, the Explorer and Flex are not framed vehicles....the have uni-body construction. Not sure if a WDH can be used with either of those vehicles, but IMHO a WDH will need to be used with a projected 500 lb. tongue weight. I also question whether the hitches are up to snuff on either the Explorer or Flex.

To pull a full sized trailer, a big V8, low ratio (high number) final drive, and a big vehicle is needed.....not a midsized vehicle.

The 195 BH indicates a bunk house, which indicates kids. Depending on the number and sizes, along with other passengers, pets, and camping gear, along with a 500 lb. tongue weight added to the bake, the weight could even exceed the GVWR of the Expedition. Load up the family and try out the Expedition, and while driving around stop by some scales (CAT, quarry, grain) and see what it weighs, add for some camping gear, then subtract from the listed GVWR on the driver's side door panel, and see what the difference is.

Also, check the sticker on the receiver, and also make sure it has a heavy duty tow package.

IMHO, the Explorer or Flex would not be good tow vehicles for a full sized conventional camper.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
To pull a full sized trailer, a big V8, low ratio (high number) final drive, and a big vehicle is needed.....not a midsized vehicle.
I think you're off here. You do not need a big vehicle and a big V8 to tow. Ibgot a 4cyl and a smaller mid sized suv here and she tows decent. No where near my 91 dually, but I am impressed with the little thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
The 195 BH indicates a bunk house, which indicates kids. Depending on the number and sizes, along with other passengers, pets, and camping gear, along with a 500 lb. tongue weight added to the bake, the weight could even exceed the GVWR of the Expedition. Load up the family and try out the Expedition, and while driving around stop by some scales (CAT, quarry, grain) and see what it weighs, add for some camping gear, then subtract from the listed GVWR on the driver's side door panel, and see what the difference is.
Very good point, and most people buying and towing out there won't do this. At the camping shows, I have the sales people speachless when I talk about this. But, an expedition should be fine. When I weighed with full water (I don't travel with full water), I was 100 lbs over gvw. That is with 4 people and the dog in the Jeep.

To the OP, do your homework. Shop for a trailer that you love, then do your homework and find a Tow Vehicle that will handle it. Any questions, we all are here to help and give you our opinion from what we know and have experienced.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using the FRF mobile app.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 03-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #10

Thank you guys for your excellent and thoughtful advice! We've decided to purchase my parents old (2006) Tundra, as we've towed the trailer with it many times and it worked like a champ... even up and down steep hills and narrow gravel one-way roads at a hillside camp ground.

Not to mention the price tag is a little easier to take! I wish it didn't have to be so confusing, and that sales people on both sides were more honest about what would work.

The only problem will be that the truck is pretty bulky and difficult to manouver in parking lots. But we're going to outfit it with a backup camera and I am sure with practice it will get easier. Hubby is happy he'll be able to finally park his car in the garage as the truck won't fit
Old 03-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
The only problem will be that the truck is pretty bulky and difficult to manouver in parking lots. But we're going to outfit it with a backup camera and I am sure with practice it will get easier. Hubby is happy he'll be able to finally park his car in the garage as the truck won't fit
I wish my truck was that nimble. At 22ft long, my crew cab long bed 1 ton can be challenging, but it does what I got it for. Tows our 5th wheel with ease. You made a good choice in an upgrade of vehicle for your needs.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #12

Mine fits in the longer garage with the hitch head on...the bigger problem was my 7'6" garage door and the roof of my cab...it touches the weatherstrip pulling in =-O. Best thing is to get the truck and drive it and practice....soon enough you will be whipping it around like a sports car.....!!...lol...good luck and congrats !!

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #13

I pull with a 2013 explorer and it is an excellent tow vehicle. We are towing 5000 pound 25 foot long surveyor and have had no problems. We do have blue ox hitch which could have a lot to do with the handling characteristics.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:03 AM   #14

I towed my 3000 lbs trailer with a2010 nissan pathfinder. It handled the TT very well. It has a 6000 lbs towing capacity.
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:19 AM   #15

I have never heard of anyone complaining about too much tow vehicle!
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:27 AM   #16
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
I have never heard of anyone complaining about too much tow vehicle!
Back in the 90s, a fellow race team had a MDT box like truck, with storage and a little "living area" towing a tag along enclosed race car trailer. Well, it towed it well with the exception that it broke the tongue off the trailer because of the stiff spring suspension. We were in the process of taking a full sized school bus and shortening it for our tow vehicle. With that lesson learned, I designed and the guys built an air ride receiver for the bus. Our team never had a broken tongue. Moral of the story, when you start breaking trailer tongues, you may have too much truck.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 Tablet using the FRF Android App!
Locomotive Engineer
Old 03-27-2014, 06:07 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That sounds more like an overloaded trailer, front weighted trailer problem, than TV problem. I've seen what some of these guys put in the front of their race trailers.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
That sounds more like an overloaded trailer, front weighted trailer problem, than TV problem. I've seen what some of these guys put in the front of their race trailers.
Aaaa "hooks" "ers" ?

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I see you're getting a tundra but, as a FYI to others who check this thread, we used to own a flex. Despite what a sales guy tries to tell you it's just a minivan. Through and through it's a minivan with back doors that swing out instead of sliding. It was a really nice minivan but no way I'd compare it to an SUV.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #20

Jeep Grand Cherokee (3.0L Diesel)

I would recommend the new 2014 Grand Cherokee (Diesel). Its rated for 7000+lbs.
HP: 240
TQ: 420

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, trailer