Old 04-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #21
Moderators' Assistant

I have read very few positive posts about TB/Envoy owners towing TTs/HTTs.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #22

Is there air suspension on the envoy?

Old 04-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta8311ss View Post
Is there air suspension on the envoy?
I believe so

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #24

For the 1st season with our 183 we were towing with an '05 Trailblazer I6 Extended cab. While not ideal it did get the job done and all the weights were within limits for the TV. Sounds like you may not be transferring enough weight to the front. Also make sure your shocks are not worn out and keep it around 60 mph. Our combo felt pretty well stuck to the road. If I recall our hit the road weight is around 4200#. As someone else commented load it up for a trip and get it weighed. We've since moved to a Ram 1500 and are much more satisfied with it as a TV.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:02 PM   #25
DDC

I towed a 28ft Sunnybrook with both a Trail Blazer and a Rainier (chev/Buick) I can't remember the weight off hand but it was not light, I towed with a Hensley and had no problem other than fuel consumption was terrible, that 6cyl had lots of power but GM only put a 70 ltr (18 US Gal) I assume reading this thread that the Hensley would be an answer to the OP if he can't get his WDH adjusted to work for him.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam wise View Post
I have a 2006 Envoy XL to pull my 2011 Rockwood Roo 183. It's an I6 with 3.73 gear ratio and a towing capacity of 5800 lbs. The hybrid's loaded weight is rated at approx. 4600 lbs. so I feel like I should be in a safe towing range. However, while towing, I feel like I'm floating on the road and really feel the wind and especially when a big truck goes by. What is the problem? weight of the tow vehicle? I have a weight distribution hitch and adjusted the links which have helped somewhat. If I need a different SUV, what features do I need to pay attention to? Seems like it's not all about engine size but weight of vehicle.

I towed a +- 3500lb TT with an I6 Trailblazer. I had the same experience as you. I tried everything... Different WD settings, different camper loads, different TV loads... Nothing worked. The worst was when a big rig snuck up on me on I80. 😳 I finally decide I had had enough and, after 2 months or so of fighting the towing process, upgraded my TV. Problem was instantly solved.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #27

We too are having floating issues.. We never had this problem with our 3500# Salem.. Towed for years (12)..
We have a 2000 Dodge 2500 Diesel with lift kit/camper shell. very well maintained.
We have a new W/D hitch (10K#s) (same prior problems before new hitch). We tow a 2012 Rockwood light approx. 6000#'s, 26 ft. bought new.
We have new aggressive tires.(had float issues with last tires too) we even had the front end of the truck rebuilt. Everything appears to be set up correctly.
We have had floating issues since we purchased this trailer.
We are still having floating issues.. I don't' know why and just don't know what to do?
The front end of the truck floats.. at 30 mph all they up to 55.. scary..
We just are dumb founded.. any suggestions?
Old 04-25-2015, 05:48 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

SUV floats while towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSwesey View Post
We have had floating issues since we purchased this trailer.
We are still having floating issues.. I don't' know why and just don't know what to do?
The front end of the truck floats.. at 30 mph all they up to 55.. scary..
We just are dumb founded.. any suggestions?

I think "float" or the light front-end feeling is usually an issue caused by improperly loading your trailer and/or the TV/TT/WDH setup and the best way for you to verify that setup is to hitch up, go to a CAT scale and get weighed. I suspect how you load the trailer or the WDH setup needs adjusting somewhere. You can do this comparison at home if you know how (see brakeman's post #17 for help doing that at home), but the scales work well (especially to see the effect of your WDH).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #29
Roo Fan

Wow! Thanks to all for the advice! To answer a few questions, I do have new spring shocks and good tires (Michelin cross terrain P245/65R17). Dropped from two chain links hanging to three which did help. I will plan to go to a weigh station to get the weights for both TT and TV. Interested in knowing my true load. Also I do feel I need more towing experience to get used to towing in general and will look into adding a sway bar. Looking into a heavier vehicle in the future might not be a bad idea, but for now am only traveling flat land in Florida. I'd like to get up into the mountains in the Carolina's but don't feel comfortable with my current set up the way it feels. Some extra weight I carry is a double kayak on top of the TV and two bikes on a bike rack off the back of the camper. (and yes, I reinforced the bumper to handle the weight of the bikes.) Otherwise I probably pack the normal range of gear. I try to be simple so don't think I bring my whole house with me! Wondering what could be making the difference on the tongue weight? I store stuff though out the TT so wouldn't know how I could make the tongue weight more or less. Not a lot of stuff in the back of the TV either.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam wise View Post
Wow! Thanks to all for the advice! To answer a few questions, I do have new spring shocks and good tires (Michelin cross terrain P245/65R17)...
From my experience, I think you will find the P tires need to be inflated to max side wall pressure of 44 and they will still squirm and the wear will not be good. LT tires are much better regardless of brand.

Tags
towing