Old 04-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #31
Hanging bikes on the back will reduce tongue weight. Think of the axles as a fulcrum and the TT as a teeter totter. If you throw a lot of loose baggage in try moving it forward. Rule of thumb is 10-15% of the TT weight should be on the tongue, so you are probably going to be in the neighborhood of 400-450# on the tongue. Any more is going to be maxing out the rating of the Envoy.

2013 Roo 183
2012: 1042 Miles, 13 Nights camped
2013: 2772 Miles, 27 Nights camped

2014: 2259 Miles, 30 Nights camped
2015: 1644 Miles, 20 Nights camped
2016: 550 Miles, 11 Nights camped
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #32
I towed a 4,000 lb pop up with the TB and it was great. There is a huge difference between a pop up and HTT or TT. I think mid sized SUV's are best suited for pop ups. The large frontal area and increased weight of a HTT or TT is a bit much for an SUV.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:14 AM   #33
Originally Posted by Pam wise View Post
I store stuff though out the TT so wouldn't know how I could make the tongue weight more or less. Not a lot of stuff in the back of the TV either.
Pam wise, you're doing, or going to do all the right things. The reason you could be making the tongue weight more or less has to do with two secrets of towing/trailers, etc. That is (1) the dry weight of trailers can be very close to the gross/max tongue weight dry, from the factory. The dry weight with no fresh, no black, no grey, no propane, etc. can use up most of the gross weight or tongue weight leaving you little weight for the 'normal' stuff and (2) your stuff weighs more than you think.

The only way to know for sure are scales. There are many possible causes of your problem, but actual weight and tongue weight probably are the most common, so they should be eliminated first. It's also just plain good to know what your weights are for other reasons, such as trailer tire ratings and load range, speed, etc.

From the number of responses to your question, you can see that this is a common, common issue. However, your trailer is unique. The experiences of others, such as 'I pull X with Y vehicle' doesn't tell you much about your trailer and how much your stuff weighs, with the load distribution in the trailer the way you load it.
rzrnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:17 AM   #34
Your truck is plenty heavy enough. I pull a Rockwood mini lite 4565lb dry, and 6500lb gross trailer weight with my 2015 Tacoma it's only 400lbs heavier than your Chevy, also it only has a V6. With the information you provided your problem could be your hitch, tires, tire air pressure, or rear suspension, or maybe your steering linkage. Fact is that it could be a combination of all, or just some of these combined. I do agree with the statement made above as well that what you are feeling could be normal. Your vehicle will handle differently while towing a trailer. However, you shouldn't have to wrestle the steering wheel to keep it on the road. It does and will require more attention to maintain your lane than it does when you're not towing. The wind issue is common amongst all that tow travel trailers. If you are having a lot of whipping from back there then maybe you need to invest in a new hitch with friction trunnions. I just got mine a few weeks ago and there is a marked difference between the friction trunnions and the bars with chains. LT tires need to be used they have stiffer sidewalls and will prevent some side to side motion especially in the rear. You can tell if you have Light Truck tires by finding the size on the side of your tire. There should be an LT before your tire size. If they are passenger tires there will me a P there; ex P275/65/R17 vs LT275/65/R17. Passenger tires have few plays in the sidewall and may cause that floating feeling you are describing. Also passenger tires aren't really super safe for towing. If you have passenger tires on your truck I wouldn't tow again until you get light truck tires put on. Check your air pressure on all your tires, make sure it's in the appropriate range. Consider stiffer rear shocks, some say air bags, honestly I don't know why but they do. If your truck has high miles have your mechanic look at the steering linkage bushings and inspect for an unusual amount of wear especially the control arm bushing. I hope these suggestions help Good luck and safe travels.
2016 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.2 L w/Ride Rite Air Leveling System.
2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #35
Roo Fan
Thank you for the replies! Ken, I thought the tow capacity of the Tacoma with a tow package was 6500 lbs. I love the Tacoma, but was advised by many that it was not a big enough truck to tow my TT. I was bummed because that is what I really wanted and felt my hybrid was small and light enough (again, rated at 4700 lbs loaded) to not need a huge vehicle. Now that I'm having trouble with the Envoy XL I felt relieved I didn't buy a Tacoma. Is it the tires and type of hitch that makes your Tacoma tow well?
Pam wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #36
Weigh the trailer
Find out weight on tongue
Make sure you are under trailer gross weight
Make sure you have no less than 10% and no more than 13% weight on tongue
Make sure weight is less than tow vehicle limit
Make sure all trailer tires are max pressure
Make sure tow vehicle tire pressure is at or above sticker. I put my rears on max sidewalk pressure
Put WDH to max front setting
Make sure all mechanicals are not broken
If all this is correct and you still don't like it get a bigger tow vehicle
rzrnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:04 AM   #37
Pam Honestly the weight distribution hitch is what keeps the truk from dippiing down in the back. It offsets some of the tongue weight and keeps the trailer and the truck on an even plane. This puts weight back on the rear trailer tires and shift some of the weight back on the trailer axle especially helps when you hit those dips in the road that cause the trailer to bounce. Also. it pulls the back of the truck up some so it forces the front of the truck down on the road more. This will definitely enhance your handling. the friction trunnions help control any whip in the trailer, this also enhances your handling.

2016 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.2 L w/Ride Rite Air Leveling System.
2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #38
Unfortunately my husband and I have been experiencing the same problems for almost 3 years now.. And we have spent so much money on our truck and new WDH, 2 sway bars .. in excess of $6K.. We also pulled a smaller TT for years.. never any problems.. Then bought a NEW Rockwood Ultra light, 26', weights about 6,000 #'s (dry weight).. other trailer weighed about 4,500.. so we thought, it has to be the truck! right? People told us it was the weight wasn't disturbed in the trailer correctly, your trucks tires aren't right and it just goes on and on.. all people just guessing at our expense..and every time still ended with same issue.
Then this last NOV while still under warranty we had an axle go bad.. they replaced.. however still the same problem!
We found out that the new trailer has independent suspension.. not advisable for a heavy trailer.. and it is all over the road, SCARY ALL OVER THE ROAD! This heavy of trailer should NOT have independent suspension it is all about a "safety" issue.. Our tires which might have possibly 8K miles are almost warn out..
I will be contacting the forest river warranty agent for this area soon.. I have had many problems in the past with this guy.. had to call channel 7 on your side to get issues resolved.. Good Luck..
LSwesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #39
We used our 2007 Envoy with the 6 cylinder to tow a Rockwood 2109s TT across the country and had no problems. Not quite the "forget it's there" feeling we have now that we tow the Envoy behind a Sunseeker, but it was a breeze.
Steve & Debbie Russell
2013 Sunseeker 2900
Starry2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:58 AM   #40
LSwesey my suggestion if you have tried most of the suggestions here in the forum, is to visit with the local dealer that sold you the TT and ask if they will look at your set up. Tell them it is scary to tow and you need help. They WANT you to have a good experience, as they WANT to sell you your next RV, and they would LOVE to be the ones that fix the issue for you. Explain the issues and what you have done to this point; better yet, legibly write down a list of each thing you have done and take it with you to the dealer. Arrange an appointment time for them to come out and look over your rig: hitch, Tow Vehicle, sway bars, and RV. Ask if their very best hitch person can be available for this visit please. Perhaps one of them will spot something that you missed, or something that wasn't a big deal when towing a smaller TT, but IS a big deal when towing your current larger RV.

Not sure if you plan to go to one of the national events, but I understand they have factory guys there that are able to help with all sorts of issues. Again, the RV manufacturers want you to enjoy your TT, not dread using it.
Hope this helps!

D_B Travelers - 30 nights in 2016... so far. 54 nights in 2015. 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3001W Diamond Pkg, 2015 GMC 3500HD CC DRW Duramax, Equalizer 14K hitch, TST 507rv TPMS.
"Happiness? A good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
George Burns (1896 1996)
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote