Old 04-23-2015, 11:29 PM   #1
Roo Fan

Question SUV floats while towing

I have a 2006 Envoy XL to pull my 2011 Rockwood Roo 183. It's an I6 with 3.73 gear ratio and a towing capacity of 5800 lbs. The hybrid's loaded weight is rated at approx. 4600 lbs. so I feel like I should be in a safe towing range. However, while towing, I feel like I'm floating on the road and really feel the wind and especially when a big truck goes by. What is the problem? weight of the tow vehicle? I have a weight distribution hitch and adjusted the links which have helped somewhat. If I need a different SUV, what features do I need to pay attention to? Seems like it's not all about engine size but weight of vehicle.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:00 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you need to re-assess your weight distribution set-up...there's on-line guides to set them up proper to transfer weight to the front axles of the camper and the trailer axle(s). The first issue is to have sufficient tongue weight...too low on tongue weight will cause trailer handling issues that the W/D can't fix. If you loaded trailer weight is 4600#, you'll want around 600# on the tongue (13%). Also you don't seem to indicate that your hitch has integrated sway control...adding a single friction sway bar would help.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #3

Hi what type of tires do you have on the envoy? Are the envoy tires LT or passenger car tires. Did you make sure the tire pressures are right on tv and tt. Weight distributions hitch type? sway control?

Tim
Old 04-24-2015, 06:59 AM   #4

what you are feeling could possibly be completely normal. It's going to feel a lot different with a trailer in tow and you need to adjust your driving to match.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #5

I had a Trailblazer (not XL) with the I6. I pulled a Coleman Sunridge-Mesa for several years. It was 3000# loaded but with kids and cargo I was over the GAWR but well under the tow rating. That's something to check since it will load the rear down on the SUV and give you the white knuckle experience. That's a real concern if you have an avoidance, transport, down hill braking, or wind sheer situation to correct from.
The non-XL has quite a short wheelbase for towing so wind and trucks were always an issue on the highway for me. The XL is a foot or so more I expect that will help but I think weight is what is causing your issue.
I went to a Suburban and never knew the pop-up was behind me after that and could carry all the cargo I needed since the pop-up has limited space.
Bryan

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
Roger and Paula

I had an XL, and pulling a 750 lb trailer with a 2500 lb car strained the towing capacity, cold really feel it on hills. Large trucks would tend to move it as well. Just undersized for significant towing no matter what the advertised capacity is.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #7

I'm with beerjay. You said the rated weight is 4600 lbs. You need two pieces of additional data. The first is what is the real weight, with everything in it? The second is what is the tongue weight? As others noted, even if that is OK, it just may not tow well with your tow vehicle. More weight, wheelbase, and power up front fixes most things. If there is a pool, I pick that the trailer/tongue is too heavy for your vehicle, though.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #8

You are correct in your assumption that a tow vehicle's capacity is much more than the engine. An old adage for RV's is "You can never have too much tow vehicle".
Certainly you should consider tongue weight, GVWR, engine capacity, gearing, suspension and tires, but as you may of discovered vehicle size may also contribute.
You also need to consider the roads you usually travel or plan to travel. Out west you'll find mountains and wind, which are two things that greatly effect towing.
It also depends on how often the vehicle is used to tow your RV. If it's five days a year it's tough to justify a newer bigger vehicle just for towing.
In my opinion, if you're going to tow most anything you should consider at least a 3/4 ton pickup. It may seem like overkill, but when you're pulling a hill, attempting to pass, bucking a head wind or cross wind or any of the many other things we encounter, you'll be thankful for size and capacity.
We bought a four door 3/4 4x4 gas engined pickup for towing, and were amazed at how often we use it for non-towing or non-RVing. A four door pickup is a very versatile vehicle.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam wise View Post
I have a 2006 Envoy XL to pull my 2011 Rockwood Roo 183. It's an I6 with 3.73 gear ratio and a towing capacity of 5800 lbs. The hybrid's loaded weight is rated at approx. 4600 lbs. so I feel like I should be in a safe towing range. However, while towing, I feel like I'm floating on the road and really feel the wind and especially when a big truck goes by. What is the problem? weight of the tow vehicle? I have a weight distribution hitch and adjusted the links which have helped somewhat. If I need a different SUV, what features do I need to pay attention to? Seems like it's not all about engine size but weight of vehicle.
imo, what you feel is a light front end. Put more weight to the front of the tow vehicle and more weight to the back of the unit being towed. Does it feel 'worse' (floating) when you have a full tank of fuel and seem to get better as you burn off fuel (levels out)? You may have a tad too much tongue weight. If you have chains on your WDH and you as an example 'drop' 3 links, tighten it up a little by 'dropping' 4 links. This will put more leverage weight to the front and should smooth out your 'floating'. imo.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #10

I had similar weights and capacity with a different tow vehicle and trailer. My guess is that with all cargo you maybe at 90-95% towing capacity. The SUV will feel like this due to a smaller wheel base than a truck and that your are at the limits of the GCWR. You may want to try air bags in the shocks of the tow vehicle that you can inflate when towing, this could make it feel more stable.

NYDP77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing