Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 10-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #1

Suzuki Toad

Just got a 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara as a new toad. The manual says the
maximum speed for towing is 55MPH. Does anyone know what happens
past 55 or is it just manufacturer number they picked out of thin air.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #2

Are you sure this isn't the maximum speed for the Suzuki to tow a trailer not in being used as a "Toad". I can't think of any reason it couldn't be used as a "Toad" at any speed. Doesn't make sense to me unless they are refering to pulling a small trailer with it.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #3

OK so I did some more checking by going to the FMCA (Family Motor Coach Assoc.) site and checking their "2009 Towables Guide" and they list the Skuzuki, sorry Suzuki GV as having a 55mph/200mi limit to being used as a Toad.

If it were me I would be trading it in on a used Jeep Liberty. Used they are a very good value and a Consumers Reports "best buy". We have a 2005, 4x4 and it has been very very reliable, best of all it can be towed 4-down with no restrictions by putting the transfer case in neutral.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the input, NWJ-you're a good a advertisement for the Liberty-however after trying out a Liberty-found it very uncomfortable compared
to the GV. Guess I'll just have to put up with going slow and enjoying the
scenery.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #5

I would consider a trailer then. Having to do 55mph on 70mph freeways and stopping every 200miles would be unacceptable in my book. The FMCA guide lists lots of vehicles that can be towed without restriction. Toyota RAV4 is just one that would be in the same class with the GV for an example.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #6

I too have a Suzuki Sidekick toad but it is much older than yours. It is a 1994 model 4X4. The manual states not to tow it at speeds in excess of 55 mph which is my regular travel speed in the motor home. Nothing happens when you go over that speed which I have done countless times. I think that if something serious were to happpen I would not have a toad with nearly 250,000 miles on the odometer. I sometimes think they just put these CYA statements in the manual for their protection when there is no apparent reason. Having to start it up and run the automatic transmission through the gears every 200 to 300 miles is not a problem for me. My wife starts to twitch after passing the second shopping complex so I simply use one of those shopping occasions to attend to this requirement.
Lloyd
Old 10-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #7

NWJeeper-the reason to choose the GV over the RAV 4 or many other small SUVs is that it can be towed 4 down with automatic tranny. Starburst2-thanks for the good input-I too feel that Suzuki limits to 55mph just to protect themselves, and 200 miles is always a good time for a break.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #8

The the speed from the manufacture reflects the transmission speed that the car can be towed in a netural position and lubrication can still protect the transmission (auto) from siezing up. Also traveling at that speed in netural position creates a friction that expands the fluid. We have a 2010 Escape and the books says 65 mph and stopping every 600 miles and starting the car and run it thru the gears (same for GM cars) for circulation of the trans fluid over the gears. Our Escape trans oil is also lowered half way down the add/full mark on the dip stick to allow for expansion (Ford Instruction for 4 on the ground towing).

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #9

We looked and looked and finally decided on the Honda CR-V. You're going to spend a few $$$ getting it ready to two - base plate, towbar, etc., etc., but at 3358 lbs, you hardly know its there. On trip to Maine and back, we averaged a little over 7mpg. There are several models available and just about all of the "crossover" models (Honda) will work well.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
The the speed from the manufacture reflects the transmission speed that the car can be towed in a netural position and lubrication can still protect the transmission (auto) from siezing up. Also traveling at that speed in netural position creates a friction that expands the fluid. We have a 2010 Escape and the books says 65 mph and stopping every 600 miles and starting the car and run it thru the gears (same for GM cars) for circulation of the trans fluid over the gears. Our Escape trans oil is also lowered half way down the add/full mark on the dip stick to allow for expansion (Ford Instruction for 4 on the ground towing).
My manual said to put the transfer case into neutral and the auto transmission into Park. That way the towing cannot affect your automatic transmission. I could only affect your transfer case and I have put synthetic gear lube in the transfer case just in case that helps reduce any wear. As I said I've got over 250 milesa on my toad and the transmission performs splendidly.
Lloyd