Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #1

Suzuki Toad

Just got a 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara as a new toad. The manual says the
maximum speed for towing is 55MPH. Does anyone know what happens
past 55 or is it just manufacturer number they picked out of thin air.
tazzerbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #2

Are you sure this isn't the maximum speed for the Suzuki to tow a trailer not in being used as a "Toad". I can't think of any reason it couldn't be used as a "Toad" at any speed. Doesn't make sense to me unless they are refering to pulling a small trailer with it.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #3

OK so I did some more checking by going to the FMCA (Family Motor Coach Assoc.) site and checking their "2009 Towables Guide" and they list the Skuzuki, sorry Suzuki GV as having a 55mph/200mi limit to being used as a Toad.

If it were me I would be trading it in on a used Jeep Liberty. Used they are a very good value and a Consumers Reports "best buy". We have a 2005, 4x4 and it has been very very reliable, best of all it can be towed 4-down with no restrictions by putting the transfer case in neutral.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the input, NWJ-you're a good a advertisement for the Liberty-however after trying out a Liberty-found it very uncomfortable compared
to the GV. Guess I'll just have to put up with going slow and enjoying the
scenery.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #5

I would consider a trailer then. Having to do 55mph on 70mph freeways and stopping every 200miles would be unacceptable in my book. The FMCA guide lists lots of vehicles that can be towed without restriction. Toyota RAV4 is just one that would be in the same class with the GV for an example.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #6

I too have a Suzuki Sidekick toad but it is much older than yours. It is a 1994 model 4X4. The manual states not to tow it at speeds in excess of 55 mph which is my regular travel speed in the motor home. Nothing happens when you go over that speed which I have done countless times. I think that if something serious were to happpen I would not have a toad with nearly 250,000 miles on the odometer. I sometimes think they just put these CYA statements in the manual for their protection when there is no apparent reason. Having to start it up and run the automatic transmission through the gears every 200 to 300 miles is not a problem for me. My wife starts to twitch after passing the second shopping complex so I simply use one of those shopping occasions to attend to this requirement.
Lloyd
starburst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #7

NWJeeper-the reason to choose the GV over the RAV 4 or many other small SUVs is that it can be towed 4 down with automatic tranny. Starburst2-thanks for the good input-I too feel that Suzuki limits to 55mph just to protect themselves, and 200 miles is always a good time for a break.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #8

The the speed from the manufacture reflects the transmission speed that the car can be towed in a netural position and lubrication can still protect the transmission (auto) from siezing up. Also traveling at that speed in netural position creates a friction that expands the fluid. We have a 2010 Escape and the books says 65 mph and stopping every 600 miles and starting the car and run it thru the gears (same for GM cars) for circulation of the trans fluid over the gears. Our Escape trans oil is also lowered half way down the add/full mark on the dip stick to allow for expansion (Ford Instruction for 4 on the ground towing).

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #9

We looked and looked and finally decided on the Honda CR-V. You're going to spend a few $$$ getting it ready to two - base plate, towbar, etc., etc., but at 3358 lbs, you hardly know its there. On trip to Maine and back, we averaged a little over 7mpg. There are several models available and just about all of the "crossover" models (Honda) will work well.
Gator_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
The the speed from the manufacture reflects the transmission speed that the car can be towed in a netural position and lubrication can still protect the transmission (auto) from siezing up. Also traveling at that speed in netural position creates a friction that expands the fluid. We have a 2010 Escape and the books says 65 mph and stopping every 600 miles and starting the car and run it thru the gears (same for GM cars) for circulation of the trans fluid over the gears. Our Escape trans oil is also lowered half way down the add/full mark on the dip stick to allow for expansion (Ford Instruction for 4 on the ground towing).
My manual said to put the transfer case into neutral and the auto transmission into Park. That way the towing cannot affect your automatic transmission. I could only affect your transfer case and I have put synthetic gear lube in the transfer case just in case that helps reduce any wear. As I said I've got over 250 milesa on my toad and the transmission performs splendidly.
Lloyd
Old 10-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst2 View Post
My manual said to put the transfer case into neutral and the auto transmission into Park. That way the towing cannot affect your automatic transmission. I could only affect your transfer case and I have put synthetic gear lube in the transfer case just in case that helps reduce any wear. As I said I've got over 250 milesa on my toad and the transmission performs splendidly.
Lloyd
You must have the 4 wheel drive option in your car. Ours is the 2 wheel drive version. We have no transfer case.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
Villa Estate 392FLFB

easiest option is a car trailer. they dont loose value very easy either.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #13

I did not realize that you could tow the 2-WD Suzuki. When I bought my 1994 sidekick they were saying that you could not tow the 2WD four wheels on the ground. That is why I bought the 4WD.
Lloyd
Old 10-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Also key word is a transfer case. even more key is that you need one with a manual transfer case that you can put the transfer case into neutral!

hehe parents have a 96 geo tracker 2 door convertible hard top with 4x4 5 speed that would be awesome as a frog.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #15

I own A Honda CRV It is A 2wd automatic and is flat towed. My manual instructs you to start up, go through all the gears, let it run for 3 min.then shut down and now you can tow it with A max speed of 65 for 8 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 050.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	3757  
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:13 PM   #16

I know this thread is 6 years old. But let's see if anyone is listening.

I recently picked up a 2001 GV 4x4 and proceeded to make it toad-worthy. I saw an expert review on Edmunds giving 65 mph as a top tow speed. I also saw the manual which says 55 mph top tow speed. Both list 200 miles as the stop-and-rev distance. Reading your posts it seems like 55 mph should be the norm but wandering above that a little for a short while is not going to ruin the transmission. How about the loose steering wheel? Is there any problem with the front wheels jerking to one side or another over a bump or a hole? Does the steering wheel need to be moderately restrained with rope or bungie cords?
Seeker Of Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:55 AM   #17
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

The steering damper (shock) should take up sudden jerks.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:46 PM   #18

We just towed our Suzuki Grand Vitara from Dallas to Mesa Verde. Most of the way we kept the speed at or just below 65 mph with no ill effects. Occassionally, on severe down-hill slopes we hit 70 mph with no ill effects. I think the 55 mph limit is because the steering wheel, and therefore the front wheels, is loose and can turn freely. The steering is fairly tight on our Grand Vitara and seems to "want" to maintain a straight course. The steering also seems to follow the turns of the RV fairly closely as we make the tight turns through gas stations. However, we have not driven, towing, over large holes and/or large obstacles which might turn the wheels and put a strain on the towing linkages. Also, at higher speeds I noticed that side winds seem to have a greater effect on the toad which translates to more RV steering corrections - not many, not much, but some. As for the 200 mile limit . . . we did not hold to that strictly. We were close, but not exact . . . maybe as far as 250 miles or as few as 180. I have come to believe that part of the reason for the 200 mile limit is not only to circulate the fluids but to be certain to keep the battery charged. I say this for two reasons. First, the key is in the "on" position which causes a slight battery drain. And second, I accidentally left the key in the ignition overnight which did indeed drain the battery low enough to need a jump. HOWEVER, all in all we were planning to stop every approximately 200 miles anyway to stretch, eat a meal, do the necessary stuff, etc . . . So, it has worked out just fine so far. Those folks that drive on and on forever without rest - stay off of my highway. I don't want to encounter your tired selves coming or going.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:55 AM   #19
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Sounds like it is working out well for you. As long as their are no worn parts on the Zuk (balljoints, tie rod ends, ect.) it should track fine. Thanks for the update.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #20

Small added benifit to 4-down over tow dolly

We had one small but satisfactory benifit to towing the 3500 pounds of GV over towing a 500 pound tow dolly with a 2800 pound Nissan Versa aboard. Our gas mileage went up ever so slightly from 6.48 mpg to 6.87 mpg. I know that doesn't sound like much but on a 3000 mile trip that amounts to almost a 27 gallon savings = almost a whole 30 gallon top-off OR a bit nicer dinner out on the road.

Or, another way to think of it, might be that after about 37 of those 3000 mile trips the $2500 toad investment will be paid . . . hmmm . . . better get busy planning more trips before that GV falls apart from old age.

Yeah, I know - peanuts. But you can feed peanuts to an elephant and he/she is your best friend for a moment.

Hey! I just made that up! Pretty good for a Texican!