Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #61

One item I have noticed my rig tows better with Ford's sway control turned off. Try that it really helped me.
theinmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:45 PM   #62

I've read a few posts here that ask about verifying 12-15% tongue weight but nowhere have I read that has been done. A light tongue WILL sway.

To SWJ please get a Sherline scale, rig up two bathroom scales or go to a CAT truck scale and verify your tongue weight is appropriate for your trailer weight. THEN, do a proper WD hitch setup.
Flat_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #63

Bob Springer

If you decide to upgrade your hitch, I have had good luck with an Equalizer. More expensive than some but less than others. I pull 6,500 pounds with a 2017 Suburban with max tow package. No sway at all. I pull at 65 mph.
Bob Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #64

Two words...Hensley hitch
kenrod1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #65

I have the same configured truck, it swayed a lot until I put on 10ply rated LT tires. I pull a 36 foot rockwood, with 2 EZ Lift sway controls. Pulls straight as an arrow except in strong cross winds.
mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:47 PM   #66
swj

sway

i have 20 inch Michelin LT, new....
swj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinmess View Post
One item I have noticed my rig tows better with Ford's sway control turned off. Try that it really helped me.
Can you clarify this statement with what kind of truck (as specific as possible) and trailer, and hitch system you have? On my 2017 F-150 it only kicks in when a sway event triggers it. It was very effective and stopping the sway when it happened before my hitch was set up right. It certainly slows you down as it is not meant to stop you from getting in an accident, not to prevent sway from a poorly balanced trailer.

What negative effects did you experience?
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:52 PM   #68

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello SWJ,

What pressure in the tires?

I found with 32 ft Rockwood towing low and water in the tank making it front heavy settled everything down. All I had was Reese basic hitch and side mount sway control.

No need for silly expensive hitch. I would also make sure you get everything weighed.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #69

I agree the OP needs to gather all the needed data to correct the setup.
You need to know trailer weight and tongue weight. If your tail heavy, nothing you do to the hitch will help.

I have a ‘33ft Surveyor that we started out with a E2 10k hitch and an 07 Tundra max tow truck. Could not get it to tow correctly. Balanced the trailer weight, it was better. Reset the hitch many times, still had alot of bounce in hitch. Replaced the Tundra with an F350 diesel, still did not tow correctly. Dealer upgraded me to the E4 hitch, solved the problem. The E2 was maxed out all the time. That is a $65k lesson... I could have stayed with the Tundra.

That is why you NEED to know your trailer weights.
mikeeemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #70
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by usapierre View Post
If I remember correctly Fast was only makes WD hitches and I don’t think their do sway control , or do they? Now I’m curious.
Fastway is a Progress Manufacturing Inc product line, as is the 4 point Equal-i-zer WDH.
The E2 is made overseas, while the Equal-i-zer is American made.
IMHO, the E2 is fine for shorter trailers, while the 4pt Equal-i-zer is a better choice for longer trailers.
The E2 only has 2 points of sway control, while the Equal-i-zer has 4 sway control points.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #71

We just traded a 2015 F-150 5.0 4X4, and our FR Salem 27RKSS which is a bit heavier than yours and we used an equalizer hitch rated at 10000 lbs and never had any sway issues with the exception of driving through the desert in Nevada with wind gusts of 60 mph. I believe in and trust the equalizer hitch.
lsullysr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:12 AM   #72

We pull our 7700 lb (dry) Cherokee 304R with our 2014 FX4 ecoboost. We do not deal with swaying. I did recently add Firestone air bags to the truck just to level truck. They really eliminated the bouncing on bridge expansion joints. I highly recommend them ($300). I agree with other replies; there must be a hitch setup issue.
roman116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #73

sway

I tow my 24' FR Hyper Lite with a 2013 GMC 5.3L 2500, I know it is a lighter trailer, but also lighter duty truck. I use a Reese setup. The ball is adjustable up and down, coupled with a sway control and load leveler system. Tows like a dream in fairly windy conditions. In strong crosswinds, I imagine you would never get rid of all the sway no matter, but it sounds like a good tow system is your answer. Like the other suggestion, take it to an expert to set it up correctly. You have plenty of truck for sure.
boblinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #74

Redo your hitch setup following the instructions exactly. The measurements of the heights to ground and fender distances to tire are critical. As some said, ensure you are not putting too much weight on the ball/hitch.

2019 Hemisphere GLX 314BUD with Goodyear Endurance tires
2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins SRW
Husky Centerline WDH/Anti-sway
TST 507 TPMS
Dual Honda EU2200i w/extended run tank
Mad_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by swj View Post
Sway problems, 2018 F150 3.5L max tow, supercrew -12000 tow capacity. Fastway 2 weight distribution 10,000 lbs hitch. FRiver Surveyor 251RKS 2017 trailer -6000 dry weight. Trailer sways at 55 to 65 mph. If their is any wind, trailer sways more. Makes for an unsafe ride.

Dealer has tried adjusting hitch several times, sway continues. Not sure if they know what their doing. First time I pulled trailer the truck was angled up, headlights blinded others. Trailer and truck are now level. 7 washers on hitch. It is almost impossible to take the bars off at a campsite.

Talked to another RV Dealer about a second opinion and they only service what they sell.

Is my truck and the Fast 2 hitch capable of handling this trailer or is the set screwed up?

Looking for a solution.
Thxs in advance.

Post removed- just realized I'm a little late to the dance.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Post removed- just realized I'm a little late to the dance.
You're good man.

Everyone is trying to help but I think the OP's long gone at this point.. probably due to the over-abundance of opinions.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #77
Old Dog With New Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by swj View Post
Sway problems, 2018 F150 3.5L max tow, supercrew -12000 tow capacity. Fastway 2 weight distribution 10,000 lbs hitch. FRiver Surveyor 251RKS 2017 trailer -6000 dry weight. Trailer sways at 55 to 65 mph. If their is any wind, trailer sways more. Makes for an unsafe ride.

Dealer has tried adjusting hitch several times, sway continues. Not sure if they know what their doing. First time I pulled trailer the truck was angled up, headlights blinded others. Trailer and truck are now level. 7 washers on hitch. It is almost impossible to take the bars off at a campsite.

Talked to another RV Dealer about a second opinion and they only service what they sell.

Is my truck and the Fast 2 hitch capable of handling this trailer or is the set screwed up?

Looking for a solution.
Thxs in advance.

I agree with Daycruiser.

Basic things to get rid of sway:

Fill your fresh water tank at least 3/4 full. (Travel trailers are designed to roll with the ballast of fresh water weight)

Evenly distribute cargo in the trailer (move cargo from the back of the trailer to the middle and front) a weight distribution hitch is not designed to compensate for an improperly loaded trailer.

Check your wheel bearings (if the axle nuts are too lose the wheels will roll at an angle causing sway)

Don't over tighten your WDH (tongue weight too light can create a dangerous towing condition)

Ford trucks have aluminum beds and are very light in the back. This might ba an issue when towing a heavy bumper pull trailer. Try putting cargo in the bed to weigh it down.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #78

Sway

I have a 2010 f150 with the same weight trailer believe it or not I Purchased a blue ox sway Pro. I have had no problems since I purchased the system. sits level without my airbags, and the ride has improved drastically. Might look into it. Just my opinion.
Bigdale1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway