Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 08:42 PM   #21
Multi-Slacker

My Sonoma 280RKS is essentially the same TT as yours less the outside kitchen and about 1K lbs lighter. Do you have 2 30-lb LP gas tanks and 2 batteries and a power jack on the tongue? If not, that could be part of the difference. My GVW is ~8800 while yours is ~9800. We have had no sway using either a Husky Centerline or the current Andersen.

If you push up the tongue weight, as I think you should, note that @ 15% your TW is ~ 1450 lbs which exceeds your current receiver specs. If you do not have dual gas tanks and batteries that is an easy way to get a couple hindred lbs weight up front. Another thought: if you get closer to 15% of GVW for TW, you will need heavier bars for your WDH
Old 07-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
I have a Rockwood ultralight 2902WS. Also a rear kitchen with almost identical specs as your trailer. I tow it with a 2016 GMC 1500 Sierra CCSB 4x4. E2 1000/10000 hitch. Rear pantry is usually full and the pass through storage under the bed is usually full. I usually tow with a full water tank which is in front of axles.
What year 2902WS is that? We have a '19 2902WS and the fresh water tank is directly under the kitchen which, as you stated, is at the rear of the trailer.

I've been following this thread as we just pulled our 2902WS 200 miles through the California desert on our first trip. The tv is a '19 F250 CCSB. Didn't pull as stable as I thought it would. Not getting sway but definitely pushed a bit by trucks and wind.

I had the TT fresh water about 1/3 to half filled so I stopped and dumped it. That did seem to help a little but It really feels like I don't have enough pressure in the tv's rear tires. Sticker says 65 psf which is where they're at but I'm going to air them up to 75 for the trip back. Maybe even 80 which is the max.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
What year 2902WS is that? We have a '19 2902WS and the fresh water tank is directly under the kitchen which, as you stated, is at the rear of the trailer.

I've been following this thread as we just pulled our 2902WS 200 miles through the California desert on our first trip. The tv is a '19 F250 CCSB. Didn't pull as stable as I thought it would. Not getting sway but definitely pushed a bit by trucks and wind.

I had the TT fresh water about 1/3 to half filled so I stopped and dumped it. That did seem to help a little but It really feels like I don't have enough pressure in the tv's rear tires. Sticker says 65 psf which is where they're at but I'm going to air them up to 75 for the trip back. Maybe even 80 which is the max.
I also have a 2902WS. I don’t notice a difference with the water tank. I have towed it full, 1/3, and empty. I normally tow with it 1/3 full so I have water to use the bathroom and such.

I wouldn’t push the tire pressures up over 65psi. That’s the max pressure that they are rated for. Your just asking for trouble IMO.

If you want stiffer sidewalls I would upgrade the tires to a good load range E tire and then you can go to 80psi for a nice stiff sidewall. I will be doing that myself for next season.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrav View Post
I also have a 2902WS. I don’t notice a difference with the water tank. I have towed it full, 1/3, and empty. I normally tow with it 1/3 full so I have water to use the bathroom and such.

I wouldn’t push the tire pressures up over 65psi. That’s the max pressure that they are rated for. Your just asking for trouble IMO.

If you want stiffer sidewalls I would upgrade the tires to a good load range E tire and then you can go to 80psi for a nice stiff sidewall. I will be doing that myself for next season.

Bob

I like to run the same amount of fresh water for the same reason. I only dumped it to see if it made a difference. Minimal if any and probably due to less side winds.

The tv tires are 275/75/18 Goodyear Wranglers (OEM) and are load range E with a max inflation of 80 psi. The door sticker says inflate to 65 psi which is what I towed with assuming it would be adequate. I normally run about 52 psi unloaded to soften the ride. This is just above the TPMS limit. Going to try 75 psi for the trip home. It's over 100 degrees here.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #25

Quote:

The tv tires are 275/75/18 Goodyear Wranglers (OEM) and are load range E with a max inflation of 80 psi. The door sticker says inflate to 65 psi which is what I towed with assuming it would be adequate. I normally run about 52 psi unloaded to soften the ride. This is just above the TPMS limit. Going to try 75 psi for the trip home. It's over 100 degrees here.
I miss read your post. I thought you were referring to the trailer tires.

I run my truck tires at 80psi when towing. My trailer tires are the factory load D range tires that I run at the max pressure of 65psi. A trailer tire upgrade is planned next spring.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrav View Post
I miss read your post. I thought you were referring to the trailer tires.

I run my truck tires at 80psi when towing. My trailer tires are the factory load D range tires that I run at the max pressure of 65psi. A trailer tire upgrade is planned next spring.

Bob
I don't think it's the trailer tires. They're load range E at 80 psf.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #27

Quote:

Title says 2018, but it's a 2017. The tank directly under the rear kitchen is the kitchen grey water tank. the fill is directly under the closet slide out and freshwater drain directly under that? if Rockwood has moved the freshwater tank to the rear on the 2902WS I can see how sway would be a problem. All the pots and pans, dishes and food weight in the rear and now 40 gallons of water back there=super light tongue weight.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
Title says 2018, but it's a 2017. The tank directly under the rear kitchen is the kitchen grey water tank. the fill is directly under the closet slide out and freshwater drain directly under that? if Rockwood has moved the freshwater tank to the rear on the 2902WS I can see how sway would be a problem. All the pots and pans, dishes and food weight in the rear and now 40 gallons of water back there=super light tongue weight.
The fresh water fill is on the rear wall and the fresh drain is only a couple of feet forward of the rear bumper. The water capacity is 60 gallons. The galley drain is about 4' aft of the rear axle. Looks like FW moved things around for '19.

Apologies to the op for hijacking the thread but we have almost the same tv's and tt's and are experiencing very similar problems.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #29
Brake is on left

I read something interesting today. On the Blue Ox Sway Pro, it says Ford and Chevy owners with factory sway control may need to turn OFF the vehicle sway control feature. After looking into it a little more it appears as if they could fight each other. Have you tried that?
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #30

That can be an issue but, if the TV sway control kicked in, it would be obvious.

Given the TV, WDH type, and trailer, I suspect weight distribution in the trailer and maladjustment of the WDH.

OP, when weighed on the CAT scale, did you measure TV and trailer with and without WDH engaged, and TV alone, all loaded as you intend to travel? (If unaware, reweighs of the same trailer with 24 hours are only $2. Also, the CAT scale phone apps makes the process much easier.)

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #31

I will try that, we towed from tampa to Daytona with about 100 lbs extra tongue weight to see if that would help, wind at times seemed to be around 10 maybe some gusts and it was pretty bad, no wind and trailer tracks smooth and fine, i will add a washer and see how it changes front axle weights. Something if definately off and it is driving me crazy. I will post update when this happens
fairpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:42 PM   #32

There's a spreadsheet you can download somewhere on this site to calculate the various weights (TV, tongue, and trailer axles) based on the three different CAT scale weights. Do the weights with passengers, food, gear, gas and water (if any) loaded as you intend to travel.

Tongue weight should be a minimum of 10% of total trailer weight and maximum of 15%. I found my Shamrock 21DK (hybrid) towed better closer to 13%, with the BlueOx WDH springs tightened up to compensate. With a rear kitchen you may be challenged to get it that high.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #33

I had all the same problem with my vine 224 rls
Tried different weight
Loaded the hitch with more weight still had a severe sway
I inflated the truck tire to the max no difference
Until we bought a 4 way sway hitch
No more white knuckle ride
Next is to replace the China bomb tire to Goodyear
Hope this help
alain h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #34

Reducing sway

“Hensley Arrow!” And your problem’s solved. Expensive but effective.
mikepalliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepalliser View Post
“Hensley Arrow!” And your problem’s solved. Expensive but effective.
I don't have a problem buying a Hensley or ProPride but the equipment I have should work. I just need to spend some time setting it up from scratch again and getting weights. Once I get it dialed in then I may invest in one of the other hitches. I want to solve the problem, not bandaid it. The Hensley or ProPride will then just be added insurance.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #36

Sway problem

I saw the feed about a fellow member having sway issues. Well I bought a Coachmen travel trailer 21 foot and is a single axle. I went through several anti sway products (gets expensive). So after researching for a solution I ended up with an Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution Hitch. It is about the easiest system to set up and it has no bars. I don't have the sway issues I had before. Some of the issues that can cause sway is alignment if you have two axles. If you have water in your fresh water tank or the holding tanks have something in them. If the tanks are half full it can the unit to sway. My tow vehicle is a 2017 Colorado. Tire pressure can cause swaying to happen. Someone told me that to help with sway is to open a couple windows (one on each side) to let wind past through from things like side winds and semis passing by.
RZ406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #37

I ran an F250 diesel for years pulling both a 5er and TT much heavier than yours. With the TT and an Equalizer 4 point I had no problems to 70 mph. My water tank was forward of the axels and full. Bars were 1200#. Tires were max cold at 80 psi and ran there. Don’t waste money on a fancy unnecessary hitch, something is just not adjusted correctly.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #38

Adjusted or not
My TT is not in a ditch upside down
And I can drive with one hand on the steering sometimes none
I can relax and enjoy towing instead of spending mega amounts of money for a problem that can’t be found
On the scale off the scale , it’s this problem no it’s this problem
How about just have fun and enjoy life
I like camping and not spending half my time what if this what if that. Etc.....
Have a great summer
alain h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:40 PM   #39
Rockwood Mini Lite 1902

Sway eliminated

We have had sway for years, but finally found the solution—we just bought the Hensley system. I’ve been amazed at the difference. We started with a cheap WDH system, added anti-sway bars, then bought an Equ-I-Lizer 4-point system that worked much better, but still didn’t eliminate sway. We’ve had the Hensley Swift Cub now for about 2 weeks and just like their advertising says, the Hensley system design eliminates sway. We’ve been subjected to serious crosswinds, semis pushing a lot of air or blocking cross winds, all with absolutely no sway. I’ll never go back to another hitch. The first hookup on our own took about an hour of fiddling around with truck positioning, the second time was about 10 minutes, and the third was about 5 minutes.
wicook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicook View Post
We have had sway for years, but finally found the solution—we just bought the Hensley system. I’ve been amazed at the difference. We started with a cheap WDH system, added anti-sway bars, then bought an Equ-I-Lizer 4-point system that worked much better, but still didn’t eliminate sway. We’ve had the Hensley Swift Cub now for about 2 weeks and just like their advertising says, the Hensley system design eliminates sway. We’ve been subjected to serious crosswinds, semis pushing a lot of air or blocking cross winds, all with absolutely no sway. I’ll never go back to another hitch. The first hookup on our own took about an hour of fiddling around with truck positioning, the second time was about 10 minutes, and the third was about 5 minutes.

[emoji1303]
mikepalliser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway