Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2016, 10:24 PM   #1

Sway control

Thanks to all the help from members here answering my questions, I ordered my new TV a couple days ago. A 2017 F350 powerstroke SRW.
This truck will be for a fifth wheel in a couple of years but for now will be towing our 27rlws. It is a 28ft trailer with a max gross of about 8000lbs which puts hitch weight under 1000lbs. I have been using a Reese straight line WDH with my old 1/2 ton pickup. My question is can I just put a friction type sway control on and not use the WDH bars as the F350 will have a payload in the high 3000lb range? Just me and the wife and maybe a cooler in the truck bed so way under payload limit. No big deal, I can still go through the ordeal of putting on the bars if they offer better sway control. But if any of you just use a friction type for this size of trailer I would like to hear your opinion, it would sure make hitching up and going a lot easier, Thanks.
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:10 PM   #2

I tow a new 251RKS TT with a 2500 Ram, regular cab, 8' bed, diesel, 6 speed manual trany. Like your TT, my TT is about the same length and weight. I have yet to install my sway bars. So far, I have had nice smooth rides.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:24 PM   #3

I am in a little different situation as we have a F-250 towing a 10000lb loaded trailer. I do not understand friction sway control as we have a Blue Ox WDH witch incorporates sway control in its design. It works perfectly as we do not have any sway issues, pushing or pulling when passing or being passed.
Wish we had held out for a 350, but the 250 was available and at the right price.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

You don't actually need the sway control. In fact, your F350 should have anti sway built in. My F250 does.
What I recommend and use, is a Curt drawbar with an appropriately rated ball.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

Your issue of concern is what does the Info sticker on the "Hitch say"? Most say "500 without W/D" what does yours say? Youroo! !
Old 12-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #6

There are a few threads starting to popup over on the Ford truck forums about this. I've been following along as I wait for a new Super Duty to show up around here to check out.

With that new upgraded 3" hitch I believe Ford dropped any requirements that use a WDH for any tongue weight within the truck's rating. But I would still want the sway control, so I think your idea to use the friction sway control and skip the bars is an option. Worst case, if you don't like the way it tows, use the Andersen or add the bars to the friction setup. A Pro Series or similar hitch with a friction sway bar is pretty inexpensive and works well. The only down side to that setup is you can't backup or make really tight turns with the sway bar on or you'll bend it. Not a huge issue, but one extra step to deal with.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #7

Here is the 2017 Ford Towing guide.

Be sure to read pages 32 to 36 a lot of towing information.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...e_r3_Oct19.pdf
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
Old 12-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Your issue of concern is what does the Info sticker on the "Hitch say"? Most say "500 without W/D" what does yours say? Youroo! !
The Tongue weight for a 2017 F250 and F350 is 1500 Lbs or 1800 Lbs depending on engine with or without a WDH.

Bottom of page 35

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...e_r3_Oct19.pdf
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
Old 12-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replys. I see there are a number of items to research I hadn't considered. Dan
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid toad
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #10

https://youtu.be/kwOqARlw1EI

No sway control on the trailer. I would look into a good hitch.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
Professional Curmudgeon

Sway control would not have helped in that situation. What they needed was an "anti-blow over" device. High winds perpendicular to a large sail area is a completely different hazard.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #12

It would of helped for sure. No sway control at all in winds over 25 is bad news. I've towed in winds in the 40's with the Hensley . You can feel the hitch earning it money I paid for the hitch. I would say sway control is better than none in winds over 25. But most cheap hitches not much better than setting the trailer on the ball. www.hensleymfg.com https://www.propridehitch.com/ would have saved the day on that crash.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-6729.html
https://www.propridehitch.com/what-is-trailer-sway/
What Is Trailer Sway?

Trailer Sway - Updated August 29, 2016

Now that we have some of the common terminology out of the way let's talk about the typical causes of trailer sway. Keep in mind that trailer sway is a multivariate condition. Any one of these causes may not cause a trailer to sway. However, when more than one of these causes is present, a trailer is sure to begin to sway unless acted upon by an opposing force.

Towing Speed - Typical highway speeds have become much greater over the last 50 years. The speed at which you decide to tow your trailer may be the single greatest factor in controlling trailer sway. Unfortunately, tests show that any speeds greater than 45mph tend to allow almost any trailer to begin to sway. With traffic traveling at much greater speeds it isn't practical, and most of the time illegal, to travel at a speed that will control trailer sway.

High Winds - Winds blowing perpendicular against the side of a towed trailer push the trailer and pivot it on the hitch ball creating a tow angle. The greater the surface area of the side of the trailer, the greater the force will be at any given wind velocity. Towing in high winds is never a good idea and should be done cautiously if necessary.

Gusting Winds - Winds can gust and increase in velocity due to weather. Winds can also be described as gusting when a high wind is blocked by a tree line or a bridge overpass and you clear this blockage while towing. Your trailer goes from a relative low side force to much higher side force that pivots the trailer on the hitch ball and creates a tow angle.

Bow Wave - A bow wave is a wind produced by a large semi-truck, box truck or van pushing its way through the air on the highway. This wind travels around the truck and down the sides creating a wind disturbance in the adjacent lanes. This wind disturbance creates a sudden high to low pressure in the air traveling down the side of your trailer. The bow wave, as with the other wind disturbances, creates a tow angle by pushing the trailer and pivoting it on the hitch ball. The bow wave produces a "sucking" feeling in some combinations that feels like the entire tow combination is being pulled into the other lane.

Bad Roads - With any type of travel across this great country you'll realize there are quite a few roads that need work. These uneven, poor roads can make a trailer become unbalanced and cause it to pivot on the hitch ball creating a tow angle.

Downhill Travel - Towing downhill can allow your trailer to roll faster than the tow vehicle. The tow vehicle is geared to slow down when you let your foot off the accelerator. However, trailers are not equipped with this feature. When the trailer is traveling at a higher rate of speed than the tow vehicle it can begin to yaw.

Poor Trailer Design - The fact is that some trailers are designed better for towing than others. Trailer design includes a lot of different variables that need to be addressed to properly balance the trailer for towing. Even with a good trailer design the designer can have a hard time determining what the optimal layout of the trailer should be because of the added dimension of the trailer being used by so many different customers.

Improper Loading - Trailers are very sensitive to where you place your load your cargo. Your black and gray water tanks, your supplies, your clothing and anything else you carry with you will change the weight of the trailer and how that weight is distributed throughout your towed combination.

Poor Weight Distribution Hitch Adjustment - When a weight distribution hitch is not adjusted properly it can cause your trailer to have either too much tongue weight or not enough tongue weight to avoid inducing sway.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway