Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 10:13 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak1 View Post
YOU are really missing the point. I have done so much (maybe too much) research on this (my epic journey is well documented) but I really can't remember where anyone that owns a Propide/Hensley type hitch felt that all others were wrong?

In fact Brakeman, most came to these types of hitches because of some of the same issues I had.

WE all must be have been duped? Again, I answered your questions, Why can't you answer mine? Have you EVER towed with a Propride/Hensley hitch?
Of course I've answered your question. I've only used the Equalizer, as said before. But to state that I can only engage in this debate if I've tried both is ridiculous. Why? Because I'm not making any negative claims about the Propride. It's a great system!!! I don't need to try the Propride to tell you that it's a great system.

But the fact that 99% of Equalizer users are satisfied, means that it is a ridiculous thing for you to claim that YOUR research should be applied to those 99% of people, and that we are all using the wrong system, because of YOUR experience, and YOUR research. We have no issues with sway control, under plenty of wind and other conditions. Why would I apply YOUR experience to my experience. Why is YOUR experience with the Equalizer to be applied to everybody else, when you are in the 1% of people who could not get the Equalizer to work...and that is likely because YOU never tried to fix it in the first place. You took the dealer at their word, but have no idea how the system was set up.

Irresponsible.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
How do you know you will never get into a situation where the oscillation continues to increase? This assumes the only thing you are protecting against is sway brought on by speed, trailer weight balance, and or wind.

How about this guy's experience - from the Airstream forum:

"I was traveling south on the interstate in Alabama at about 70. I was in the inside lane and a car was on my outside maybe half a car length in front of my TV. He saw his exit coming up on the right and braked hard down my outside to get across behind me. Only one problem, he started to turn in before clearing the rear of the AS. He hit just behind the rear axle and slid along the side of the AS until he either cleared the rear or turned back out. From the TV I felt a thud coming through the hitch but the rig stayed perfectly straight, no steering input required. In fact I was not entirely sure anyone had hit me. I did see the car weaving around behind me in the middle of the 2 lane highway and then pulling over so I assumed something had happened. I stopped a few miles down the road and checked for damage.

I'm not sure how well a conventional hitch would have done with a firm nudge rear of the AS axle but I'm glad I did not find out. I'll be keeping the ProPride."

Picture with the post shows a substantial rub on the AS skin about 3 feet long and 2 feet forward of the rear bumper.

In the course of automotive development we had manual steering, then power was added, now there is even speed compensated steering. Manual steering is perfectly safe, lower cost, and lighter weight. Want to go back to it?

Or consider brakes. Used to be everything had 4 wheel manual drums. Then power was added, then disc brakes came out, then they added ABS and traction control. Hard to find a vehicle without 4 wheel disc brakes today. All added cost and weight. Most trailers still have drum brakes, but many are converting to discs - at a cost of north of $2k. Drum brakes are safe, why bother changing?
Well, braking is my profession. The switch to disc brakes for larger vehicle was mostly due to federal regulation. Rear drums just could not meet the requirements. The switch for smaller vehicle is for better performance and/or marketing. As wheel sizes increase, calipers/rotors look better to most than drums.

As far as a vehicle striking the trailer, I would suggest that the forces involved in a sideswipe on a small portion of the trailer, are likely similar (though not sustained) to a sudden 50mph wind gust hitting the entire side of the camper. Sway oscillation occurs when the dynamics are sustained, and get out of control. A 1-time event, on an otherwise stable rig, is not going to suddenly make the rig unstable.

But point made. We can't predict everything that might happen.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvida View Post
I appreciate the input. I started this conversation looking for answers and I have some. Now I just have to figure out what I can afford. I think from a safety standpoint I better dig deep in the pocket book.
Happy camping, whatever you choose.
If you have more questions, please ask. Otherwise, I think enough has been said on this post.
Over and out!!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Of course I've answered your question. I've only used the Equalizer, as said before. But to state that I can only engage in this debate if I've tried both is ridiculous. Why? Because I'm not making any negative claims about the Propride. It's a great system!!! I don't need to try the Propride to tell you that it's a great system.

But the fact that 99% of Equalizer users are satisfied, means that it is a ridiculous thing for you to claim that YOUR research should be applied to those 99% of people, and that we are all using the wrong system, because of YOUR experience, and YOUR research. We have no issues with sway control, under plenty of wind and other conditions. Why would I apply YOUR experience to my experience. Why is YOUR experience with the Equalizer to be applied to everybody else, when you are in the 1% of people who could not get the Equalizer to work...and that is likely because YOU never tried to fix it in the first place. You took the dealer at their word, but have no idea how the system was set up.

Irresponsible.
Irresponsible???

Not once did I state do as I do? All I have ever stated was MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. Please find my words where I said 99% of Equalizer owners were all wrong? Get your facts strait when you try and interpret what you think I said.
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #65

Ah, the thread that never dies.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:46 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Ah, the thread that never dies.....

[emoji846]
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:18 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvida View Post
I have done a little research in sway control. I have a Tahoe and I am pulling a 32 foot Tacer. I am seriously considering purchasing a Hensley hitch. But they ate $26000. That seems expensive. Anyone have feedback on this topic?

Andersen WDH 1400/14000

I swear by it after having cheap bar WDHitches, have one now but just bought their 5th wheel/Gooseneck Ultimate Hitch.

Andersenhitches.com
Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Andersen WDH 1400/14000

I swear by it after having cheap bar WDHitches, have one now but just bought their 5th wheel/Gooseneck Ultimate Hitch.

Andersenhitches.com
Good to hear you are happy. I currently use a husk round bar and chain hitch with satisfactory results other than it is a cumbersome process to hitch and un hitch. I am considering switching to the Andersen primarily so my retired wife can hitch and un hitch alone which would enable her to take the camper to visit our grand children while I stay home and work.

In your experience is it as easy as the videos make it look?
2007 Thor Cub 165 hybrid
Husky round bar hitch
2006 Honda Shadow and 13ft canoe in the truck bed
TKPINSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #69

We are pulling a 32 ft toy hauler with a WDH, not spending money on another hitch, maybe we can get rid of this POS pull trailer and get a fifth wheel again. Didn't want a bumper pull any way, money ruled, never had a 5er swing back and forth like this POS from FR/Lippert Ind. Crooked axles, alignment repairs put off by Lippert, junk company. They just keep putting off repair, wanting more and more info. Last stupid request was pictures of stickers on frame, bunch of ******** must run that place. They don't want to stand behind their product, just put it out like any other Chinese manufacturer.

Off my apple box, getting tired of weaving down the highway looking like a rooking driving a pu with "camper". Forest River won't back their product passing it off to their suppliers blaming them, bullshit!

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKPINSC View Post
In your experience is it as easy as the videos make it look?
YMMV It was simple to use but getting the triangle plate to line up can be a pain. Tightening or loosening chains may need a little strength or longer tools for leverage. I will say that I am not as impressed by the Andersen.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:35 AM   #71

To each their own, I started with a heavy 33ft Shasta TT with Camco WDH, couldn't take bouncing and creaking, did not have good control with Camco WDH.

Bought the Andersen after watching all the videos, honestly got it Install asap, went on one trip got home readjusted and all my swaying and bouncing (proposing as they call it) was gone. I know others might disagree but I think their products do what they say and I am on my second hitch now having a 5th wheel using the Andersen. I won't ever buy another hitch this is it for me.

I suggest anyone interested watch some videos and talk to ppl at CG's who might have it, worth it if you ask me, as the heavy hitch assembly's and bars from other MFG of WDH are a pain to store and deal with and also very heavy. Anderson weights just about nothing and very easy to store.

I am selling my Andersen WDH as we went 5th Wheel now since we plan on traveling more we wanted more storage and the pivoting on a 33 ft fifth is much better then on a 33 feet TT.

Tags
sway