Old 10-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #1

Sway Control

Okay I'm new here and haven't had much time to read all of the threads but I have a question. My wife and I bought our first TT it's a Sandpiper 301BHD, the hitch that came with it was a Reese 26000 Dual cam, I am pulling with an 01 F250 CCSB 7.3. Now on to the question. I have read that this hitch is suppose to stop sway and on our first trip I did not notice any, but that was a close trip with no interstate travel. Now we have planned to go to the mountains in a few weeks and I would rather pull down the interstates instead of the curvy mountain roads. Does anyone have experience with this hitch and do I need to add any additional sway control?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If you have the Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, that is a top notch WDH with integrated sway control. You should not need additional sway control. You should probably have 1200 lb. bars with that trailer.

If the dealer set it up, then you need to check to make sure you are getting enough weight back on your front axle. Do the fender measurements as indicated in the instruction booklet, or find a CAT scale. 1 weight with the truck solo, 1 weight with the trailer with no spring bars, and 1 weight with spring bars will give you all sorts of information, including your tongue weight.

Also, the dual cams need to be in the exact center of the spring bar notches to work efficiently. Again, refer to the instruction booklet. You might even want to mark your spring bars left and right, just in case 1 is longer than the other.

If you don't have the original instructions, you can find that online.

Even though have an F250, make sure your truck is rated to pull that trailer. Some of the older models had less towing capacity, GVWR, and GCWR than the newer models. Also, check the receiver sticker to make sure your receiver is up to the task.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #3

First thanks for the advice.
The gentleman we purchased the camper from gave us the hitch. I contacted Reese and set it up to the best of my knowledge and understanding of the directions. Right now I'm having the axles repacked, since no one knew when it was done last, and they are going to do some final adjustments on the hitch for me.
Yes I do have 1200 lb bars and they have been greased and well maintained. I'm just not sure about greasing the saddles that ride on the cams, I read about doing it both ways.
Any thoughts.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #4

Yes having my wife and children in the truck, I didn't consider TT's that were over my capacities.
I've seen much bigger TT's and 5ers being pulled by trucks just like mine and I couldn't see doing it. Ours is under the limit and still a load on the truck, but I will say the 4 times I've pulled it, its pulled better than any trailer I've pulled.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #5

Don't know why someone would grease a device that works with friction...
Mine are dry and will stay that way.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddySC1 View Post
Yes I do have 1200 lb bars and they have been greased and well maintained. I'm just not sure about greasing the saddles that ride on the cams, I read about doing it both ways.
Any thoughts.
You grease the spring bars where they connect at the hitch......Reese says to use a heavy oil, but I just use axle grease. You can use Vaseline at the notches (saddles) on the spring bar ends....don't use grease there. Vaseline will quiet down the creaking, popping noises some, but by the end of a couple hundred mile day, mine is making noise again just in time to pull through a campground.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Steve Jackson

I have the duel cam and I grease the ball and where the bars attach to the hitch. Nothing on the cams. I believe the instructions say not to put anything on the cams.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
I had the same thought until I noticed a label that gave directions to do so. (Different system than OP)

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
I have the duel cam and I grease the ball and where the bars attach to the hitch. Nothing on the cams. I believe the instructions say not to put anything on the cams.
Check out the bottom of page 8: http://www.reeseprod.com/content/dow...ion/N26002.pdf

The dual cam system does not work on friction alone, like the Equal-i-zer. The notched spring bar and cam tend to keep the truck and camper in a straight line. That is why it is important to exactly center the spring bar notch on the cam. If 1 side is off too far forward, and the other side off to far rearward, then your truck and trailer will want to go down the road at an angle. If both sides are adjusted too far in the same direction, then you are not getting the ultimate centering effect.

Also on that page is instructions on how adjust the cam arms.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
Steve Jackson

mtnguy, thanks for the link to instructions. Looks like I was wrong on the lube of the cams. I was just going by what the dealer told me when I went to pick up my trailer.