Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Sway Control Devices (Noisy?)

I have 2 friction sway control devices installed between my TT frame and TV wd hitch.. The question is this... whenever I turn there is a terrible groaning / grinding noise that radiates throughout the TV.. It has to be the sway controls as when they are removed or the TV on s straight course, no noise... Are the adjustment levers (screws) set to tight? It seems if I loosen them, the friction sway control will have no effect and not do what they are supposed to. Is this normal with the friction sway control devices?
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #2

Perfectly normal, the first time I heard that it scared the stuffing out of me. It's just doin' its job.
I don't know about adjustment screws, I have the Reese Twin-Cam.

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #3

They are just doing their job crank them as tight as you can, also do not back up with them on it can damage your sway bar .Some will say it dont matter if you back up with them on ,but at a $150 or so each not worth the chance of trashing them. It only take a few second to remove them before you back in a site .
Old 09-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #4

I have to respectfully disagree about taking them off to back. I have never been told to take them off, and believe me, I have done some backing with them on.
Can anyone tell me why you would want to take them off when backing?

Old 09-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
I have to respectfully disagree about taking them off to back. I have never been told to take them off, and believe me, I have done some backing with them on.
Can anyone tell me why you would want to take them off when backing?
I was told to remove mine by the technician at the dealership who set up my hitch. I have never attempted to back up with it on. There seems to be considerable disagreement on this subject among the members of this forum. The only thing I can think of, is backing at a sharp angle your friction sway control can only go in so far. If you keep forcing it together, something has to give.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

Well, one reason is, the sway control bars serve no function when backing in. There is no reason to have them there. If they make noise while backing in, and you don't want to listen to it...take 'em off. I can see the reasoning behind grandpa's comment, but I have never heard of anyone bending or snapping a sway control bar when backing in. Not saying it hasn't happened, I've just seen nor heard of it yet.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #7

Ya those techs are on Crack...

Think of it this way. You've taken SHARP turns going forward right ???... and the bars didn't need to be removed. There is zero difference in backward or forward if your jackknifing the trailer.
Mowat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #8

I have bent the hitch by not taking the sway bar off when backing up. You can jackknife the trailer when backing but I have never seen a trailer jack knife when moving forward unless you stop the TV quickly and the TT does not stop but that is why we adjust the brakes the way we do.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #9

If you have a new WD hitch with sway control, there should have been some documentation with it. Follow that, or take them off if it makes you feel more confident about it.

My new Husky Centerline hitch manual says "no problem" for backing up with the bars on....
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
Arn
Arn

Yes it is normal. It is also annoying & can be removed. Take the bar out & clean it with a soft bristle brush. Spray on a fast drying cleaner such as brake cleaner. Your truck brakes work by using friction just like your sway control so it is perfectly safe. Give it a wipe & also spray some into the opening that your bar slides into. It is a buildup of "brake dust" & moisture that causes the excessive squealing so by eliminating those you also eliminate the noise. You're right by not loosening the adjusting screw. That's the wrong way to reduce noise.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #11

I agree with caper. You most definitely can and will bend either the actual hitch, or the friction bars if you back up too sharp. Take them off, it does not take long, and besides, they are useless at low speeds, anyway. I have the reese dual cam set up, and I always remove the bars after checking in, before pulling into the camping area. You have to take them off, anyway, if you unhook your vehicle from the camper! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #12

That was my point also why risk bending them when only takes a few sec to remove and they are not cheap to replace
Old 09-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #13

I remove my friction bars prior to backing into the camp site when I am pulling it some where. If it is a pull through site I don't bother. My own preference as it is. I also put a little bit of grease on the weight bars where they bear the weight of the TT. This has reduced the amount of noise I get from the Weight bars groaning and screeching. They do screech when it is metal to metal with no Grease so try Grease on the bars to help reduce the noise.
macbwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #14

I have sent Reese a question asking about whether or not to remove the bars before backing. I will let everyone know what I find out.
Jack

Old 09-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #15

Still haven't heard from Reese.