Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #1

Sway control help please

This has probably been asked over and over but I did not see it on the first couple pages. We bought our first "TT" in 2014. It is a Puma 29ft bumper pull. Our pull vehicle is a 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 with the Hemi. We are attached to the TT with an E2 weight distribution hitch that is said to have sway control built in. That being said... I still have a lot of "sway" in my TT when traveling down the highway. I rarely exceed 65mph and almost the entire time you can watch the rear of the TT swaying back and forth while traveling down the road. You can feel it in the pull vehicle also. After about 30 minutes you kinda get used to it but it is still kinda unnerving. My question is...will installing a friction type anti sway bar help or is my TT just too heavy for my pull vehicle? The TT says it is 7200 lbs dry but I would guess it is another 100 added to that when we are on a trip. I have added a pic of the hitch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	106626  
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeez View Post
This has probably been asked over and over but I did not see it on the first couple pages. We bought our first "TT" in 2014. It is a Puma 29ft bumper pull. Our pull vehicle is a 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 with the Hemi. We are attached to the TT with an E2 weight distribution hitch that is said to have sway control built in. That being said... I still have a lot of "sway" in my TT when traveling down the highway. I rarely exceed 65mph and almost the entire time you can watch the rear of the TT swaying back and forth while traveling down the road. You can feel it in the pull vehicle also. After about 30 minutes you kinda get used to it but it is still kinda unnerving. My question is...will installing a friction type anti sway bar help or is my TT just too heavy for my pull vehicle? The TT says it is 7200 lbs dry but I would guess it is another 100 added to that when we are on a trip. I have added a pic of the hitch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sway is not always "corrected" by sway control devices built in or added to the WD setup. My TT handled fairly well but still had a slightly noticeable sway to it. I changed the truck and trailer tires to E-load and all the sway disappeared. There were no changes made to the WD system.

A 7,200 pound trailer (probably more will be discovered if you visit a CAT scale) should definitely be rolling on the E series tires.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #3

The p rated truck tires may be an issue. I you don't wish to change them to an lt rated tire the pump them up to max probably 44 psi helps as well. Dodge uses some Goodyear Sra that roll the sidewalls like jello balls when towing.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #4

Make sure you trailer tire pressure is right and that you are loading your weight distribution right...I have notice access sway when these are off
Old 05-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
DDC

https://hensleymfg.com/?gclid=CPeGkK...FQQbaQodykAF4g

This will cure it.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Should've got the 4pt Equal-i-zer for a 29' TT.

IMHO, the E2 is fine for shorter TT.
But not a 8000lbs+ 29' TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #7

Constant sway not induced by reducing TV speed or wind is usually a result of a light tongue.

You need to find out exactly how much tongue weight you have on the ball. 10-15% of the trailer weight is standard.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
Constant sway not induced by reducing TV speed or wind is usually a result of a light tongue.

You need to find out exactly how much tongue weight you have on the ball. 10-15% of the trailer weight is standard.
and an Equalizer 4 point
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
tjm

First off before you buy something something different, verify that you are set up correctly. Dealers don't always set the wd hitches correct right out of the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #10

JMO, but the more important factor is making sure there is enough weight on the tongue. Good sway control does not replace tongue weight. They work together.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
The p rated truck tires may be an issue. I you don't wish to change them to an lt rated tire the pump them up to max probably 44 psi helps as well. Dodge uses some Goodyear Sra that roll the sidewalls like jello balls when towing.
I've seen the SR-A tires on all the newer pickups. The only good thing about them is they usually wear out in less than 35,000 miles and have to be replaced with better tires.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #12

I'm pulling a 6000 lb dry 26' (29' including tongue) with a 2015 Ram 1500 5.7L 2wd and the same e2 equalizer hitch as you are. I'm using the 1000lb round bar version. My dry tongue weight is 820 lbs though and I have not experienced the constant sway you are describing.

I did just upgrade to 10 Ply Load E tires from the OEM Goodyear SRA's. Soooo much more stable. Feels like a new truck while towing. Also, very minimal increase in ride, more firm and truck like but still smooth.

Those factory Goodyear tires do roll over like jello and I was running 44 psi in them. They are meant for a carlike ride most 1/2 ton buyers are looking for.

Check your tongue loading, then if you are still running stock goodyears, upgrade to 10 ply load E when the time comes. You won't regret it
GAWRF: 3900 GAWRR: 4100 GCWR: 17,000
Payload Sticker: 1,867 lbs Tow Capacity: 11,767 lbs
Towing a nice 5th wheel near you
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #13

My F-150 acted like a new truck when I installed Michellin LTX tires on it. The factory P metric tires are installed for a carlike ride.
I agree with DDC on that Hensley Hitch also. Those were the safest dollars I ever spent on my RV.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Several things to look at here. First... you are going to be a lot heavier than 7300 lbs loaded. On average people tend to add 1000-1500 lbs to a trailer. that means you are looking at 8200-8700 lbs loaded tt weight. What are your trucks rating (payload and tow capacity?)

True sway is defined as increasing oscillations from side to side. Is that what you have? If yes then you need to shift the weight in the trailer as sway is usually caused by improper loading/too light on tongue and heavy in the rear. Move the weight forward of the axles.

If you feel like you are driving on glass and the truck is floating on the road, you are front end light and need to adjust your wdh. If you are porpoising (up and down bow like wave) then you need to adjust the wdh. LT tires (read stiffer tires) will help as well. You will always have a little tail wiggle but shouldn't have true sway.

Now you need to look at your setup. Best thing to do is to go weigh your setup. Go to a local cat scale or if that is too far try a local feed store or dump station. Weigh fully loaded for camping with all people, gear, pets and full tank of fuel. You want 3 separate weights (can be done in any order). First weigh is truck only no trailer. Weigh front axle on scale pad 1, rear axle on scale pad 2. Second weigh is TV plus TT no wdh bars hooked up. Have truck the same as first weigh and all trailer axles on third scale pad. Third weigh is TV plus Tt with wdh hooked up. Weigh in same positions as 2nd weigh.

You can now take the first weigh and learn about your tv...take TV GCWR and subtract total scaled TV weight to get your adjusted tow capacity. Take TV GVWR and subtract total scaled TV weight to get your available payload.

Second weigh will tell you about your TT. Subtract total TV weight in first weigh from total combined weight in weigh two to get your total TT weight. Add together the steer and drive axles in weigh 2 and then subtract your total truck weight from weigh one to get your tongue weight. Ideal tongue weight should be 12-15% of the loaded tt weight.

Next weigh 3 helps you figure out if you are setup correctly. The goal is to have your front axle weigh as close to unloaded weight as possible without going heavier. Adjust your wdh to attain this.

First weigh at a cat scale is typically $9-12 and each Reweigh at the same scale in a 24 hr period is typically $1-3. When asked first weigh or reweigh, answer appropriately. The reweigh you will need the ticket number from the first weigh. When asked for truck number say private vehicle. You might need a long broom handle to reach the button as it is at semi truck driver height.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #15

Solid advice from everyone as usual. Don't get overwhelmed, just try one thing at a time and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crash3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeez View Post

what is the E2 rating, 400,600 800?

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine2019 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
kennyairport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #17
Some guy in back...

"You might need a long broom handle to reach the button as it is at semi truck driver height. "

Best advice ever! I'm tall and had to get out and jump!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #18

I use that same WDH, and I have a Puma. I have zero sway, even when fully loaded with 10,500 lbs. If you are towing that much weight without WDH, you should have one. There's a chance the trailer is too big for your vehicle, but even with a bigger vehicle like mine you're still going to need a WDH.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #19

I tow a 7500 (fully loaded) TT with a Suburban 1500 with the E2. Same issue until I re-setup the E2 per the instructions (needed 8 washers) and changed to LT tires. No sway anymore.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #20

I installed two anti sway bars on my Cougar TT (9500 lbs), one on each side. Significant improvement. No need to spend extra $ on a left hand bar, buy 2 right hand bars and just flip one of them over....wala, you now have a lefty.
Rdsmith281 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway