Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #1

Sway Control Needed ??

Hi I am new to this forum and new to any forum so don't mind me if I mess something up,but to lend a helping hand with towing a Shasta revere.i own a shasta revere 26 qbtb and I tow it with a 08 Toyota sequoia 5.7 L with just a Reese trunion style weight dist set up 10,000 lbs 1,000.00 bars with no cam or sway control device other then the weight dist.i have had our travel trailer out since we bought it in 2011 I know at least 20 times and we dont do light traveling with two kids a dog and all the gear that goes with it,now there have been some days were it was very windy and we couldn't average 60 to 70 because of cross winds but the vehicle still felt controllable .
I guess what my question is I need to purchase a couple new components for my weight dist and was wondering if I should really buy the sway control this time since my set up came off our old sunline camper we had that was much smaller and I had to buy the 1000 lb bars in lieu of the 750 lb bars we had for the 18' and the bars we bought where used and our about at the end of line so any suggestion would be appreciated.
Optimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1st of all, welcome to the forum !!!!

Yes, you should be running some type of sway control. You trips will be much safer and enjoyable.

You state that you have 1000 lb. Reese trunnion style spring bars. I think the trunnion style bars are 800 lbs. and 1200 lbs. There was a round bar setup that was rated at 1000 lbs., but I think they now rate those at 1200 lbs. also.

If the spring bars that you are using have crooks where the chains hookup, you can get just the Reese dual cam setup. Reese Dual Cam High-Performance Sway Control Reese Weight Distribution RP26002

If you have straight bars, I am not sure if you can adapt the crooked bars to your hitch setup. A call to Cequent towing (Reese products) might be needed.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #3

IMO its a big yes!!! Sway control is like insurance.... You dont need it till its to late.
showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #4

Sway control

Mtnguy the spring bars are old and they say 1000 lbs and I also have a set of old 750 lbs bars that are old.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Brigitte

We have the 21fbs le shasta revere and use the Reese dual cam hp weight distribution with 800 lbs bars and the dual cam for anti sway. Drove in pretty good hills up Northern Ontario on a windy day with logging trucks passing us. Couldn't feel a thing. This system makes it all nice and tight.
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus prime View Post
Mtnguy the spring bars are old and they say 1000 lbs and I also have a set of old 750 lbs bars that are old.
Do the bars have a notch on the end where the chain are ??

Similar to this: http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...s/PS49903.html

or this: http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP66022.html

Some of the older style Reese hitches had straight ends, but I don't think they make that style any longer, is why linked to the Pro-Series unit.

Does the bar come out of the bottom of the hitch similar to the 1st link (round bar setup), or from the middle like the 2nd link (trunnion bar setup) ??

Old 06-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

I agree with adding sway control BUT a WDH and sway control should not be used to correct an incorrectly loaded trailer. If sway is a big issue, it could be an indicator that the tongue weight is too low. In addition to setting up the hitch & sway control correctly, try to make sure the trailer is loaded correctly and get some weight measurements done if possible.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #8

Mtnguy the bars do not have a notch and are trunion style that come out of the middle and is not a round bar set up but spoke with the dealer about getting 1200 lb bars with cam's for the head with trunion style we have already,I am considering buying the components online instead of directly from the dealer to save a couple dollars can any one suggest a place to buy them by the piece cheap.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

You can also add dual friction sway controls, but that means having the sockets welded on the head and also means 2 more things to hook up, etc. I would go for the cam bars. Look on ebay for them. Bought a 1000# set 4 yrs ago for $75 + shipping, came to just under $100.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Replacement Trunnion Spring Bar for Reese Weight Distribution System - 1,200 lbs TW Reese Accessories and Parts RP66009

This doesn't look exactly like the setup that I am familiar with, but maybe Reese has changed things up. I think mine has a longer turnbuckle:
Reese Dual Cam High-Performance Sway Control Reese Weight Distribution RP26002

With Etrailers free shipping with orders over $150, those items seem to be a good deal. I actually have a set of the 1200 lb. bars that I don't use, but depending on where you live, it might cost more that the price of news just to ship those puppies.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #11

Probably just buying the new ones since the bars I have now where used when I bought them,and I am in good old Baltimore Maryland
Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus prime View Post
Probably just buying the new ones since the bars I have now where used when I bought them,and I am in good old Baltimore Maryland
Can't blame you there. Good luck with the upgrade, and keep us posted.