Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
Sway Control Question for a Newbie

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Forest Rive Cherokee M-26L. Up until this point I haven't towed anything as large. I had a small Jayco kiwi hybrid before that my Tundra towed no problem. My truck pulls the trailer with no problems however I am a little nervous about the sway I experienced. I have read that with a trailer 26' and over two sway control bars should be installed. Is this true? And if so, what does everyone recommend as a decent sway control device. I have already installed a ez-lift WDH.

Thank you!!

PS I am new to the forum as well!

cranstonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train
Welcome to the forum!
There are many opinions on WDH out there. The 2 most popular, in my opinion, are the Reese Dual Cam and the Equal-i-zer 4pt. I have the reese and tow a 22 foot hybrid with a Jeep Liberty Diesel and it tows fairly well. I have never used a friction type sway control, and maybe someone could chime in on that.

TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
First off, welcome!

The sway control is worth it's weight in gold. I don't recall the brand I had but the link below is to one that's identical. I towed without it once just to see and the difference is impressive. You should only need one sway controller.

Sway Control - Left - Camco 48381 - Sway Control - Camping World
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant
since the ez-lift is a basic WDH, you're kinda stuck with just adding one or two basic friction anti-sway bars, like the Camco one above.
unless you want to move up to a better WDH that has built-in sway control.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
I use the friction type on my trailer works fine easy install and inexpensive. They sell at Harbor freight for 29$ on sale and if you go online they have 25 % off coupons all the while. The first trailer I had was told we wouldn't need them and our first trip was almost a disaster, any time the trailer got over 55 mph or a truck went by the trailer would shake the heck out of our truck. Had everything level and balanced out, got to the place we were going (wife white knuckled) parked the trailer and went and bought a set. Good thing I always have tools. It worked great from then on came home at 65 mph trucks didn't bother us and when you have to run the speed up to climb a big hill, hit 75 mph and no sway. My old trailer was 25 ft. and I was pulling it with a 57 GMC Sierra.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
What the heck is the towing cap on a 57 gmc!? Lol...

I only run one friction sway bar...crank it down tight. ...drives and tows great!....i have a second friction bar laying around. .but never felt like I needed it..

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Was supposed to be 5.7 L GMC not 57 sorry hand was smashed years ago and fingers don't always do what I tell them. I also have 2 friction sway bars and use both when its windy or on interstate.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Welcome, this is a popular subject and an important one.
I have never used sway control but if I ever had an issue, I couldn’t resolve, I would. I don’t think you can go wrong with a good sway control system, its just one more thing to deal with. Sure, I can feel it when a big rig goes flying by but never does it feel dangerous.
I found that an important issue with sway is how your TT is loaded a light tongue and heavy backend will always have sway problems. Good tires, properly inflated can make a difference too.
I have miss loaded my TT before and found that if I start to get sway, I use the trailer’s brake controllers manual braking(no truck brakes) the trailer will straighten right out. I would never try to steer my way out of a sway problem, slow down.
I can let my truck and trailer run-out to 75mph at the end of a hill and don’t have any sway problems. As a standard I run at 59-61mph, in those other states that have a 75mph limit I do 65-69mph to not be a huge hazard.
Every TT and TV will ride differently when all is set up perfectly, do whatever is needed to be safe keeping everyone else on the road safe too.
2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
2004 Yukon XL Denali
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
I would not pull any TT without a sway control bar or some kind of sway control very cheap insurance
2014 coachmen clipper 15RB
2000 ford f-150 super cab 4.2 6 cyl
48fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
prob the best way imo but a little more money than the reese or equalizer sytems.

Hensley Arrow Sway Control Hitch - YouTube

'99 f350, quad cab long box, dually, 6 speed manual, gently mod'd.
2011 wolf pack 295 with full susp now!
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie, sway