Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #1

Sway problems

Maybe you guys can help me with a problem that cropped up. I have a 2015 Roo 233s that I was pulling with a F150 Super Crew with the tow package and Reese round bar WDH. The rig pulled like a dream. I just bought a new 2016 F150 Super Crew with max tow and the rig is swaying when a semi passes me or in moderate winds.

I have watched some videos on how to set up the hitch and thought I was dialed in, bit I still have some sway. I am thinking I need more tongue weight but I am unsure how to adjust the hitch.

Should I angle the ball toward the RV and add a link to the bars or drop the ball? The trailer is sitting level when hitched up.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
NickeytheNoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:42 AM   #2

Lot's of questions. Are you using the same WDH? Is the receiver height the same? Quality of tires on the new TV? Tire air pressure? Did you go to a 4WD or from a 4WD to a 2WD? Is the TT loaded the same?

My point is something changed in the setup, you need to determine what changed and correct it.

When I left the dealer with the our new TT the ride home was scary to say the least. With the help from this forum and several adjustments to the WDH and tire pressures I finally got it right. I even installed a Bilstein steering stabilizer which made additional improvements. A set of Bilstein shocks are next.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:39 AM   #3

Thanks fro the reply Frank. The trucks are identical except for the year. The reciever height is higher on the new truck. The dealer set up the hitch on the old TV when I bought the trailer new.

I did set up the hitch again for the new truck which required me to lower the ball some. The trailer was loaded the same for the last trip as it always was.

I have some time today and I am getting the camper from storage. I think I will make some small adjustment to the ball angle and take it for a ride to see if I can straighten it out.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #4

Does the newer truck have built in "sway control?" If it does, turn it off. Buddy of mine had to do that with his truck towing a 32 footer...
BlueOX SwayPro (used when hauling cart too)
TomStacey616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #5

Sometimes you can have your hitch dialed in and be off because your weight isn't in the right places of your trailer.

http://i.imgur.com/dYz2tCE.gifv

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStacey616 View Post
Does the newer truck have built in "sway control?" If it does, turn it off. Buddy of mine had to do that with his truck towing a 32 footer...
It does. I will try turning it off. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeytheNoose View Post
It does. I will try turning it off. Thanks.
please let us know if that works!! I have trailer sway control and would like to know!!!

thanks!!
born2ride41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #8

I will post my results later today.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #9

I have a 2013 supercew f150 4x4 ecoboost with the trailer sway package. It does NOT keep the trailer from swaying,(or make it sway) but rather reacts after the fact by applying brake pressure to individual brakes if necessary and even cutting engine power to slow the vehicle down. it is a reactionary design.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #10

Saw this posted a few days ago...it seems from the demonstrations its all about weight distribution...

https://www.facebook.com/dunlaoghair...1663689527395/

-Bill Thomas
Palomino Solaire 317 BHSK
billt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #11

I saw that also. I am trying to get more weight on the tongue but am unsure how to do that with the WDH. I will also try leaving the hitch set up as is and then filling my fresh water tank. The tank is in front of the axels sow that should add some tongue weight.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #12
(o˘◡˘o)

Quote:
Thanks fro the reply Frank. The trucks are identical except for the year. The reciever height is higher on the new truck. The dealer set up the hitch on the old TV when I bought the trailer new.

I did set up the hitch again for the new truck which required me to lower the ball some. The trailer was loaded the same for the last trip as it always was.

I have some time today and I am getting the camper from storage. I think I will make some small adjustment to the ball angle and take it for a ride to see if I can straighten it out.
When you adjusted the ball height did you make a corresponding change in the bars through the tongue bracket or chains? (I didn't notice what WDH you have)
Old 10-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #13
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
I saw that also. I am trying to get more weight on the tongue but am unsure how to do that with the WDH. I will also try leaving the hitch set up as is and then filling my fresh water tank. The tank is in front of the axels sow that should add some tongue weight.
With the added weight and turn off the sway control, I would try those before I made any adjustments to the WDH.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #14
Crookedread

I recently bought a new truck and the hitch was quite a bit higher. I lowered the hitch but that made my bars point upwards towards the tongue of the trailer. I ended up adding three washers to change the angle of the hitch. That made my bars parallel to the tongue. I then took it to a scale and weighed all axles, then changed the number of links so I could see what the effect was. Still swayed until I cinched up the anti-sway. Works perfectly now. Just finished. 3300 mile trip and the only time it swayed or I got pushed by trucks was when I forgot to tighten the anti-sway in the morning.

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
With the added weight and turn off the sway control, I would try those before I made any adjustments to the WDH.
Sway control on the truck should have ZERO effect on the issue unless it is so bad it actually activates the sway control, at which time it could cut power to the motor to slow down and activate the brakes. It would need to be bad for that to happen IMHO. The weight though could / should make a difference.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #16
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Sway control on the truck should have ZERO effect on the issue unless it is so bad it actually activates the sway control, at which time it could cut power to the motor to slow down and activate the brakes. It would need to be bad for that to happen IMHO. The weight though could / should make a difference.
Just commenting because of posts #4 & #6 of this thread. I do agree the extra weight with a full FW tank might take the sway away. But I would try the small things before I tried to adjust the WDH.
Never had to have a full FW tank for my Flagstaff, but with my Roo, that was a different story. Stored too much behind the axles.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #17

Quote:
You could move your spare tire off the rear bumper and under the frame in front of the axles:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ite-91088.html

Note the frame spacing on my Mini-lite is the same as my Roo 19, so the model # I quote should fit your Roo 233S.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #18

I recently switched to a new truck with the same trailer and get a little more sway as well.

My biggest difference at the back end of my truck is "new truck" suspension which may be a little stiffer and not dropping as much with the tongue weight. May imperceptible with a tape measure. You could be experiencing this, and as a result just barely tipping the teter totter towards the aft causing a little sway. Other difference I have which you may or may not have is smaller wheels on this truck, so more tire sidewall, which I believe could make things wiggle around a little.

Were it me, I'd attempt to lower the hitch a hair if you can or adjust angle for a little less W/d. Get more we weight forward on the tongue.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #19

First of all I would like to thank everyone who replied to try and help, your replies are appreciated.

I think Phenom nailed my problem in the above post. I lowered my hitch about an inch, one bolt hole, and added one more link to the arms of the WDH to get a little less weight distribution. Took the rig on the freeway and no more sway. When I set up the hitch for the new truck the tape measure didn't show it but I guess I was a little tail heavy. Measured again after the changes and I still can't see the difference in the tape measure but it sure does pull better.

I did try turning off the electronic sway control, this had no effect as some had already mentioned in this thread.

Thank you all again.

Nick
Old 10-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #20
Tom

I have the same '16 truck w/ 3.5 EB and I am towing a Hemisphere 282RK. When I towed it home from the dealer it was quite unnerving. Too much weight in the rear of the TT and not enough on the rear of the truck. The dealer set the hitch up for me and sent me on my merry way. Do not turn the Sway Control off because from experience it works, I thank God I had when I needed it. Made it home with this brand new camper and now what. Yes the weight was not distributed like it should be and the new F150's are light in the ass contributing to the sway issue. The OE 116T tires only had 36psi where the max was 54.
Had a set of Supersprings installed and cannot believe how much it helped this particular truck, helped with trailer sag and stiffened up the rear end adding control and reducing sway. Now with my dialed in WDH and properly loaded TT and TV plus inflating the tires to 46 PSI I can now tow with confidence.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway