Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #41

Will adjustments to the hitch fix the weight problem? If not how do you fix the weight problem?
PBallie1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #42

In short, a properly adjusted WDH will keep your tow vehicle and TT at the necessary balance to safely tow without sway issues. With my hitch, the Reese instructions state that the rear should only squat about 1/2 to 1 inch, and the front should do the same or slightly less, while keeping the TT level when all hooked up...I have mine set for just that, when I step back and look at everything all hooked up, looks nice and level, rides level, and I have no sway issues at all.. You might have ot do a little trial an error..make some adjustments, then tow it a short distance and see if it has improved, and then tweak the different settings from there, weather it be ball hight, ball angle, or the hight of the arms..

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #43
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE44460 View Post
I'm sure other Hensley owners would agree with this statement. At night, I check the mirror to see if the running lights, read trailer, is still there. No more sweaty palms, no fear when I catch sight a 18 wheeler really closing on me on the WV turnpike, those guys can fly, no fear of turns. Next to the Duramax, best money I ever spent.
The difference between the hitches are as large as the price difference but the point is that a hensley does not 'control sway'...........it "ELIMINATES SWAY" there just isn't any period.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBallie1602 View Post
OK I am going to try all I can to get this hitch adjusted and if it doesn't happen or I have problems still I will look into the Hensley or Propride, but again who do you have install these? They both say "do it yourself", a phrase which gives me heart palpitations. Why are there not more places offering these services and why do dealers (who do offer the service) seem so inept at something that they should be competent at? Obviously once they sell you they don't care much if you make it home or not. Kinda makes me sad. BTW you guys are really nice and actually do care about someone you don't even know, which makes me happy. If anyone has a referral to someone in the Austin TX area who works w/ or installs these things please let me know.

Allie

http://www.spillarhitches.com/

I found these guys on a google search. They even fab hitches, so maybe they deserve a call? I do not know them but If I was there, this would be a first call for me.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #45
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBallie1602 View Post
OK I am going to try all I can to get this hitch adjusted and if it doesn't happen or I have problems still I will look into the Hensley or Propride, but again who do you have install these? They both say "do it yourself", a phrase which gives me heart palpitations. Why are there not more places offering these services and why do dealers (who do offer the service) seem so inept at something that they should be competent at? Obviously once they sell you they don't care much if you make it home or not. Kinda makes me sad. BTW you guys are really nice and actually do care about someone you don't even know, which makes me happy. If anyone has a referral to someone in the Austin TX area who works w/ or installs these things please let me know.
If you go to the hensley web site you will see a tab that says dealer locator just follow that.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
The worst part of being a owner of a Hensley is trying to explain to some one just how well it works. I would run out of space. So if you want to continue to adjust and play with tire pressure every time you're on the road and while you're on the road, keep your current set up. If you want to hookup and go, get the Hensley, it is an investment you will have as long as you have RV's.
Wow, didn't know the Hensley even adjusted and maintained tire pressure too! I need to look into what they have for 5ers!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Wow, didn't know the Hensley even adjusted and maintained tire pressure too! I need to look into what they have for 5ers!
Apparently they give a great kick back if you advertise for them too.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
Allie

http://www.spillarhitches.com/

I found these guys on a google search. They even fab hitches, so maybe they deserve a call? I do not know them but If I was there, this would be a first call for me.
That's exactly who I am going to take it to! They are just 15 minutes away from me and helped us out w/ a hitch when we had a PUP for 3 weeks (YUK, no offense anyone, PUP not for me), which incidentally had no sway, heehee... Thanks!

Donald, thanks I did try that w/ the Hensley and there are no dealers in Austin, just the same w/ Propride. BUT the guy at Propride knows someone in the area who could help w/ installation if I purchase that brand. If I have to I will do one of those, but I would like to see if I could get this hitch working as well as some others on here and save the $2000 or at least put it off for a bit. We are still rebounding from the big TT purchase. BUT again if it isn't safe I will spend what I need to.

I will be taking it to Spillar tomorrow or Friday or next week at the latest. I need the DH to be off work so I can borrow his muscles. I will let you all know right away how it goes though. Hopefully you will be seeing this emoticon
Old 10-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #49

Keep us informed......as much as we all love to help, we also like to hear real world results......given your tow vehicle and trailer, i cannot for the life of me see any reason why your setup should not tow great. A light tongue weight most certainly could cause issue, but again a trip to the scales would have all the answers!.... honestly with all us Texans on this board, I'm surprised there is no one around you willing to help out for a few cold beers. I would, but Austin is a lil out of my way...lol
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #50

If you just can't get the hitch you have figured out you want the propride 3p, click the link in my sig. It's essentially version 2 of the Hensley and is designed by Hensley and cheaper. I had the Equali-z-er and had it properly adjusted and it worked pretty well but the Hensley design difference is absolutely noticeable. The TV and TT become one.

Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #51

Well after going over all this w/ the DH he said I'm not messing around w/ $100 here and there, adjustments here and there. I want to drive down the road w/ coffee in one hand and not be exhausted after a couple hour ride. Part of our plan to buy this DH (Dollhouse, that's what DH really means to me) was so we could go spend summers @ Campland by the Bay in San Diego, where I am from. He doesn't want to drive from Austin, TX to San Diego and have any anxiety. AND after all the money we just spent on the Dollhouse whats another 2 grand to make sure we actually live to enjoy it? Haha! But seriously 2K is a lot, but my family's, safety, sanity, and stress free trips are worth it in the end. We are gonna order the Propride (sorry Hensley lovers) next month and Spillar Hitch will install it for us. I'll let you guys know after we get if its all they say it is, jeesh it better be! Thanks again you guys, you really are pretty fabulous!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #52

PS my fridge is ALWAYS stocked w/ cold beer. That and cake are the sole reasons I work out like a maniac!!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #53

Congrats Allie!!

Glad you have made the decision to get what is best for you and your family/sanity!!

You will not regret making that choice together!!
Happy Camping!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #54

After you get it installed, you could put your old on on Craigslist to recoup some of that money.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #55

Yes sir I plan on. Right along w/ my Nighthawk Night Vision Goggles!!! (Used to be a spy before I became a mommy...) Luckily the dealer did give us the hitch for free, but yes it will help w/ the big OUCH cost of this new thingy ma bob.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #56

Quote: "We are gonna order the Propride (sorry Hensley lovers) next month and Spillar Hitch will install it for us."

Find good pictures of both hitches, Youtube for one. Compare how the heads are fabricated, thickness of material. If you see the difference, you'll end up with the Hensley.
2021 Chevy High Country 6.6 gasoline
Hensley Arrow, best investment ever!
MIKE44460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #57
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Quote: "We are gonna order the Propride (sorry Hensley lovers) next month and Spillar Hitch will install it for us."

Find good pictures of both hitches, Youtube for one. Compare how the heads are fabricated, thickness of material. If you see the difference, you'll end up with the Hensley.
Besides that, according to a Hensley lover, it will even maintain your tire pressures, thus saving on a TPMS and an air compressor/tire guage!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #58

Allie did you watch the videos at propride's web site?

Here's another good site Mods - Propride 3P 1400 Hitch

And another with videos The Lockharts

Have you called propride and talked to Sean? Might want to, great guy.

Living and towing in east and central Wyoming I get the pleasure of experiencing some radical winds. A sway resisting hitch is just that, it attempts to resist sway. A hitch designed from the outset to completely eliminate sway is completely different. With my equal-i-zer I still had some pretty hairy moments with massive side blasts. I've been blessed with massive side blasts with the propride and had to look around to see if in fact that was a wind gust or just my imagination. Truck and trailer were still straight and no steering input was required but I could swear that was a blast. The semi's were looking like they want to blow over. Also hitching and unhitching is easier then the equal-i-zer. Get your self a STRONG cordless drill. Mine's a 3 speed and on gear setting 1 will twist right out of your hands if not held very firm.

Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #59

Yes I have been talking w/ Sean and my husband watch the vids on Propride. He personally thought the Propride looked sturdier and he liked that there was no continuing maintenance w/ the Propride (something about having to replace grommets on the Hensley or some such thing). These of course are his opinions, but honestly I have done enough research to realize that anyone who has the Hensley is happy and anyone who has the Propride is happy and I don't think either one is a bad choice. At this moment we are personally going w/ the Propride, but that could possibly change. Thanks for the advice on the drill. We are def looking for the easiest, simplest, safest thing out there since we are novices.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post

Living and towing in east and central Wyoming I get the pleasure of experiencing some radical winds.
Jeff

Boy, Not kidding there!! Heck they can blow a trailer over (not moving) if not secured properly!

They can also blow a car off the road!