Old 02-14-2014, 06:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
What type tires are on the SUV. You might want to upgrade to LT's if the tires are P. The side walls of the P tires could be causing some of the sway.

I'm fairly positive it's your tires as states above. I had a 2011 Yukon XL Denali and the P rated tires had to soft of sidewalls and flexed to much making it feel like I was wandering all over the road. I fixed the problem the most economical way possible. I bought a diesel F350. Not I need a 5th wheel.

Good luck

2014 Montana 356TBF
Big Bad Allis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #12

Same as previous posts could be tires If you have P rated tires get rid of them They are "passenger" car rated LTs are light truck. Next I would look at the hitch set up. Also I know that your trailer is empty but when loaded approx. 60% of weight should to be the front of the trailer tires. Too much weight to the back of the trailer can cause sway as well.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #13

My wife and I just returned from a 600 mile round trip with our new Windjammer with no problems. Prior to the trip I weighed the TT and the tongue separately following the recommendations from many of you. After putting some our our heavier items up front, the tongue weight was 11.7% of the trailer's weight. My dealer also recommended I increase the pressure in our rear tires up to 40 PSI (the max pressure recommended by the tire manufacturer). I was a little nervous about this but I did increase the pressure to 38 psi. Long story short, I had no problems on the trip. I kept my speed between 50 and 60 mph. Now I have two questions for the community:

1. A couple of you recommended I replace the P tires on my Suburban with stiffer LTs. It's this for all 4 tires or just the 2 rear tires?
2. What is the average speed you pull your TT? Averaging 55 mph over the weekend, I was passed by only 2 RVs. One was a motor home and the other a 5th wheeler.

I want to thank everyone was contributed to this thread.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #14

With my 30' TT, I usually keep my speed at about 65 mph. I also had mine rear loaded too heavily and experienced excessive sway. I keep my load down and balanced and speed at 65.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbahrs View Post
My wife and I just returned from a 600 mile round trip with our new Windjammer with no problems. Prior to the trip I weighed the TT and the tongue separately following the recommendations from many of you. After putting some our our heavier items up front, the tongue weight was 11.7% of the trailer's weight. My dealer also recommended I increase the pressure in our rear tires up to 40 PSI (the max pressure recommended by the tire manufacturer). I was a little nervous about this but I did increase the pressure to 38 psi. Long story short, I had no problems on the trip. I kept my speed between 50 and 60 mph. Now I have two questions for the community:

1. A couple of you recommended I replace the P tires on my Suburban with stiffer LTs. It's this for all 4 tires or just the 2 rear tires?
2. What is the average speed you pull your TT? Averaging 55 mph over the weekend, I was passed by only 2 RVs. One was a motor home and the other a 5th wheeler.

I want to thank everyone was contributed to this thread.
You should have all 4 tires the same. I usually go 55mph - 70mph depending on conditions and still getting passed by a bunch of 5th wheels and the occasional travel trailer
2014 Montana 356TBF
Big Bad Allis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #16

I too am using an anderson hitch. Two questions:

first, how close to level is the trailer? Like one other suggested-might want to drop the ball one bolt hole to gain more tongue weight.

Second, are you cranking on the nuts as hard as you can? Might be giving a little too much help with brining it up.

Although I too have a 30', I have about 250 more tongue weight than you and I have my anderson cranked down to provide the most assist.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:03 PM   #17

Hondaman, on our recent trip I had the Andersen cranked to show 10 threads on both sides. The TT was almost perfectly level.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post

first, how close to level is the trailer? Like one other suggested-might want to drop the ball one bolt hole to gain more tongue weight.
Dropping the ball to get a trailer lower in the front will increase the tongue weight on a single axle trailer, but not a double axle trailer.

On a single axle trailer, the axle acts like a pivot point. Any weight of the trailer in the tiny "sliver" from the point at the axle to the wider point of the roof that is obtained by lowering the front of the trailer will be transferred to the tongue.

Lowering the front of the trailer on double axle trailer will actually decrease the tongue weight. That is because you are changing the pivot point of the trailer more to the front axle instead of directly between the axles in a level trailer. Moving the pivot point towards the front axle shifts weight to the back of the trailer, even counter acting the weight shift explained in the single axle scenerio.

I think I just confused myself with that explanation.

I confirmed this weight shift several years ago on my double axle trailer by doing some experiments with a Sherline trailer tongue scale.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbahrs View Post
Hondaman, on our recent trip I had the Andersen cranked to show 10 threads on both sides. The TT was almost perfectly level.

Sounds about right. I was at twelve and removed a link both sides so I could use the socket. It runs about 6-7 now.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #20

If you continue to have issues, towing with the trailer slightly nose down is better than high. Ideally you would sit perfect level as then you are putting even pressure on each of the axles on the trailer.

As others said I would HIGHLY recommend LT tires for you on the suburban. This will not only add stability to the truck but increase yours and your family's safety!

I do not feel that the anderson hitch is a wise choice for a 30' trailer myself. I'm not saying it can't be used and serve the same purpose effectively, but I personally feel there are better choices for longer trailers such as yours, such as the dual cam or reese.

As mentioned before as well making sure you are above that 10% of tongue weight on a trailer that is 30' long is very important! I actually aim for more like 15% since I have a truck capable of handling the weight currently.

As far as speed, I vary my speed to accommodate traffic, terrain, weather conditions, my safety as well as making sure my truck is running in the "sweet spot" of the RPMs. Typically that is between 55-65. I will generally run 65 on the interstates but try to be one of the slower vehicles so I am not needing to change lanes to go around people, I would rather sit in my lane and let others go around me. On highways I will try to run 60 if it is open and not much traffic, but if I keep catching up to slower traffic I will slow down to make people go around me again rather than me tailing someone with a 10,000 pound trailer trying to push me!

If you look at your trailer tires they typically max out speed wise at 65, so anything over that truly isn't a wise idea...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, windjammer