Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 01:58 AM   #41
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
It is a generalized notion that P rated tires are a contributor to sway because it is a fact!.
With apologies to the OP.

Many light trucks and SUVs come equipped with P-Metric tires and just as many of these vehicles roll off their respective assembly lines with significant towing capacities. If there is factual data to demonstrate that these tires contribute to trailer sway, would it not be prudent for the vehicle manufacturers and especially the tire manufacturers, to include warnings with their products? I'm not aware of any such warnings. Has controlled testing been conducted to validate the claims that P-Metric tires on light trucks and SUVs contribute to trailer sway and are therefore unsafe? If so, I'm not aware that any such testing has been carried out. Summarily, if in fact P-Metric tires contribute to trailer sway in a half-ton pickup or SUV capable of towing 8,000 lbs, shouldn't the RV community be campaigning the national transportation authorities and vehicle/tire manufacturers to end the unsafe practice of installing P-Metric tires on the aforementioned vehicles?

Alas, I think I smell a red herring...

Cheers

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
With apologies to the OP.

Many light trucks and SUVs come equipped with P-Metric tires and just as many of these vehicles roll off their respective assembly lines with significant towing capacities. If there is factual data to demonstrate that these tires contribute to trailer sway, would it not be prudent for the vehicle manufacturers and especially the tire manufacturers, to include warnings with their products? I'm not aware of any such warnings. Has controlled testing been conducted to validate the claims that P-Metric tires on light trucks and SUVs contribute to trailer sway and are therefore unsafe? If so, I'm not aware that any such testing has been carried out. Summarily, if in fact P-Metric tires contribute to trailer sway in a half-ton pickup or SUV capable of towing 8,000 lbs, shouldn't the RV community be campaigning the national transportation authorities and vehicle/tire manufacturers to end the unsafe practice of installing P-Metric tires on the aforementioned vehicles?

Alas, I think I smell a red herring...

Cheers
Good observation but there's many loop holes for such data. they always use the "If properly equipped". Remember the P-Rated tires are designed for a more comfortable, quieter ride as well as better performance (not towing performance). Most of on this forum are exceptions to the rules and not the rule. We buy our trucks and use them for towing and hauling. The target market for trucks shifter especially 1/2 ton trucks to a more daily drive market that wanted traction and handling over load capacity. Plain and simple the P-Rated tires do not have the structure to handle loads properly. There's a reason why sidewalls are thicker and stronger on "E" load range. I have been towing my whole life from farming to commercial vehicles. The tires can in fact make a difference. Can you do it with P-Rated tires? Yes you can but depending on many things like weight distribution, vehicle suspension, length of the trailer, passing or being passed by larger vehicles can all contribute to more strain on the tires that are already carrying the load of the vehicle and passengers.

I've been there with my Yukon XL Denali. 403 HP, good brakes and longer wheelbase. Reese dual cam weight dist and anti-sway. If felt terrible no matter what I did. SO I bought the F350 for a cheap fix then that meant I wanted a 5th wheel. Just to think it all started about tires.

My nickels worth

Jason
2014 Montana 356TBF
Big Bad Allis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #43

After a couple of trips towing my 2014 Windjammer 2618 with my 2011 Suburban with Goodyear LT E rated tires, I was still not happy with the towing experience. At speeds above 55 mph, my TV still felt unstable. I finally decided to upgrade it. I traded it in on a 2011 Ford F-250 4x4 with Turbo Diesel. It has new Michlen LTX A/T E rated tires. It is my first diesel 3/4 ton truck and I am still reading all the manuals and getting used to it. I am going to hook it up to the TT next week to take them out for a shake down ride. Wish me luck.
TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 HD Allison/Duramax Diesel 4WD
TT - 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2618
Texbahrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbahrs View Post
After a couple of trips towing my 2014 Windjammer 2618 with my 2011 Suburban with Goodyear LT E rated tires, I was still not happy with the towing experience. At speeds above 55 mph, my TV still felt unstable. I finally decided to upgrade it. I traded it in on a 2011 Ford F-250 4x4 with Turbo Diesel. It has new Michlen LTX A/T E rated tires. It is my first diesel 3/4 ton truck and I am still reading all the manuals and getting used to it. I am going to hook it up to the TT next week to take them out for a shake down ride. Wish me luck.
Congrats! There's no comparison in the two. Similar move to what I did. Nest you're probably do what I did. Once I had a larger and more capable TV I bought 5th wheel.

Enjoy the diesel
2014 Montana 356TBF
Big Bad Allis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, windjammer