Old 02-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #1

Sway Problems with Windjammer 2618

I just moved up from a high sided pop-up to a Windjammer 2618. My Tv is a 2011 Suburban. The dealer installed an Andersen "No Sway" device to the TT and did the initial hookup to the Suburban. Driving the 30 miles down the freeway from the dealer to my home, I noticed I couldn't drive more than 45 mph before the TV and TT started to sway a little. It wasn't too bad and I assumed it was because I wasn't used to towing such a large trailer (compared to the pop-up).

This afternoon my DW and I decided to take the trailer out for a drive to help me get used to it. This almost turned out to be a disaster. I got up to 65 mph and was beginning to feel proud of myself when the TT started to violently sway from one side of the lane to the other even crossing over the lines. I slowed down without hitting the breaks until the swaying stopped and I was able to safely pull over.

I checked everything - the sway chain tensions, the coupling, and the tow ball. Everything seemed ok. We took the trailer back to our storage lot but didn't go over 35 mph. What am I doing wrong or what should I check out to make sure I am doing everything right? I welcome any and all suggestions from those who have more experience than I have.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 AM   #2

I'm definitely no expert but by the specs of your trailer it has a really light hitch weight. 10.6% when looking at dry numbers. i would try and get that up to around 13%. have you loaded your stuff in the trailer yet?

I would go to the scales and get your setup weighed and post numbers. I would think with moving some weight around in the trailer and some hitch adjustments you should be ok.

get those numbers and there are quite a few aroun here that can help you dial your setup in.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I would guess that your hitch needs adjusting to put more weight to your front wheels. The the very first I took my first TT out I had the same problem. I bought it used with the hitch included and no instructions with it. I didn't 2 miles down the road, hit a bump, on a curve and almost lost it. Just about turned around and put it up for sale. But instead I worked with the hitch and tightened the chains up to take weight off the rear axle and put it to the front. I'd guess the front steering wheels were light and gave you little control. I pulled a 26' TT with a MERCURY Mountineer. Check out the web on your hitch to the proper set up for your hitch.
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:13 AM   #4

I second the above.Post # 2. Get a (REAL) tongue weight,and a (Real) unit weight. If this comes out in the proper numbers 12-15% tongue weight,then check T/V & Trailer (Tires & Pressure)! I cant give (True) input on the (Anderson) but my gut feeling is look there if everything else checks out OK. I went thru (HELL) trying to figure out my V-Lite,after (LOTS) of headache replaceing the Tires on the Trailer with Maxxies made a stable setup. I have a Reese DC setup. Youroo!!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
chicagoslick

Good luck Texbahrs:

I will be following this thread closely as I have this fear with my setup. I am picking up my TT end of the month and think I may suffer from same type problems.

Gary, Tonia, Baile, Summer and Otis our Boston T.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Pkg
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch FX4 Max Tow 3.5EB, 3.55
Equalizer 4 WDH, 1,200 / 12,000Lbs
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #6

Like others have said load up the trailer then make sure it's riding level, if it isn't it will sway. You may need to get an adjustable shank so you can drop the ball.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 02-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with previous posts.

Tongue weight: Running the figures from the Winjammer website, it calculates out to a 11% tongue weight, which ain't too shabby. But, trailers typically weight in about 400 lbs. more than the listed weight.....calculating out to about 10%.......which is the minimum tongue weight recommend. But (again), adding a battery and propane tanks increase the tongue weight, so that percentage should increase. Like youroo suggested, a couple of weigh-ins would be a good start, both to determine your weights and see if the Anderson is setup correctly.

Even though the tongue weight might be a bit low, looking at the floorplan of that trailer, the tongue weight should increase nicely as you load the trailer. The kitchen is in the front. The bath appears to be over the wheels, which probably puts the waste tanks over the wheels when needing to travel with fluid in those. I don't know where the fresh water tank is, but anywhere in front of the axles would be a plus when traveling with water.

Make sure the receiver is up to the chore. There should be a sticker there that states the maximum weights.

The Windjammer is close to 30' long. The Suburban has a 130" wheelbase, which if fairly long for a SUV, but could be considered a bit short for 30' trailer.

Some other ideas: Make sure the tires are inflated up to the recommended maximum on both the Suburban and trailer.

Make sure the receiver is up to the chore. There should be a sticker there that states the maximum weights.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #8

What type tires are on the SUV. You might want to upgrade to LT's if the tires are P. The side walls of the P tires could be causing some of the sway.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #9

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to take my TT to a scale today to weigh it. I'll post the results.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbahrs View Post
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to take my TT to a scale today to weigh it. I'll post the results.
Ideally, you should do 3 weigh-ins. Most CAT scales just charge $1 or so for reweighs.

Without changing any cargo or passenger seat arrangement, and 1 axle (consider the 2 trailer axles as 1) completely on a different section of scales:

1 weight with the SUV and trailer with the spring bars in place.

1 weight with the SUV and trailer without the spring bars in place.

1 weight with just the SUV without the trailer. Again, leave passengers and cargo just like they were with the previous weigh-ins.

The weight of the 2 SUV axles with the trailer hooked up without the spring bars in place minus the weight of the 2 SUV axles without the trailer will give you true tongue weight.

The front axle of the SUV with the trailer hooked up and spring bars in place should be equal to or very close to the weight of the truck without the trailer.

Hope this helps.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, windjammer