Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 09:12 PM   #1

Swaying fifth wheel

Sorry for the long post but I need answers. I recently purchased/ordered a 2015 Ford F250, Crew cab, short bed, 4x4, 6.2L, 4.30 geared pick up to replace a 2006 Chevy Crew cab Duramax that I loved. However, due to electrical problems - two computers/fuel injector connectors/interior components/etc with the Chevy within two years after pay off forced the sell due to the fact that it was no longer reliable. Definite electrical issue that I went round & round with GM and they pretty much told me sorry but its your problem. I was reluctant to purchase a gas vehicle for towing my 2013 Rockwood 8289ws fifth wheel because the Duramax towed it so well in all situations. But I was burnt on repairing the Chevy literally every time we went out.

My issue with the Ford other than the lack of power pulling in the mountains on the east coast is an unsettling sway or bounce that is similar to pulling an improperly hitched travel trailer. I have never experienced this amount of sway pulling any of my past three fifth wheels. I ordered the camper package and the FX4 package on my truck and am wondering if the stiff suspension is causing this problem. Pin hitch is at approx. (have not weighted) 1950 lbs. Two adults and approx. 600 lbs of junk in the camper. Rig, both truck & camper set nose up approx. 2" (Cannot figure out how to post pictures of unit) but I don't believe this is an issue.

I'm stumped and at wits end as to how to solve this problem. I have a trip planned through western VA & WV in August and want to resolve the issue beforehand.
I welcome any suggestions and thanks for your time.
SamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #2

Had a F250 same setup before getting F350 due to new RV, had a problem with swaying and found that when they installed the bed rails for the 5th wheel hitch wrong, they had placed them forward by about 4 inches. After that was corrected and also add Firestone 5000 airbag system all the swaying stopped. I would check the 5th wheel hitch placement and you will really like the airbags if you chose to add them.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

What tires do you have on it? Are you saying the nose of the truck is high as well as the front of the 5er is high also?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #4

I installed the hitch myself ( Pullrite Super Glide) according to manufacturers specs for this vehicle. I thought this could be the problem if I got the measurements off by a 1/4" or so but mine is nothing like the problem you experienced. I was wondering about air bags?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #5

LT 275/R70 18. 65 psi in front and 80 psi in the rear when towing.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #6

Yes.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamR View Post
Yes.
Yes to what?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #8

Sounds like you have the right tires, at the right pressures, and you're towing the same camper. You're saying it did not sway like this when it was towed behind your Chevy, and it's loaded the same way? You didn't move anything heavy behind the trailer axles? It sounds like maybe not enough pin weight, but if nothing changed in the camper...I'm at a loss.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #9

Yes both are high (2+-). Surprised considering the beefy rear suspension.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #10

Truck and camper are loaded the same way and nothing behind the trailer axles. Center of hitch is located 1" forward of axle according to manufactures specs.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #11

We had the same 5th wheel for 2 years, although a 2013 model. The only time I noticed any sway was when I filled the fresh water tank full. The tank sits behind the axles. I learned to never carry more than 1/2 a tank of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #12

When you say sway do you mean the rear of the trailer is swaying side to side? If so you have something set up completely wrong.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamR View Post
Yes both are high (2+-). Surprised considering the beefy rear suspension.
First off, you need to get them both level. You should be able to add air bags to the rear of the truck, once you get it level, hopefully you will be able to either lower the hitch or raise the pinbox to level the trailer. If the hitch or pinbox cannot give you enough, you may have to resort to lifting the trailer.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #14

Start with trying to get things leveled back up. If you are two inches high in the front of the truck as well as the camper you need to work on getting that adjusted! The addition of timbrens or air bags would/will help that situation. Once you get the truck leveled you'll need to get the camper leveled back out as well. If anything, a tow vehicle or camper should ride slight nose down to aid in stability.

If the rear of your truck is squated past level this is most likely what is causing the sway. My personal preference is the Timbrens, but air bags are actually even more adjustable and can be more beneficial but do require some sort of user input vs timbrens that get installed and forgotten...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #15

No it feels like the whole rig it swaying which I contribute to the truck. Same camper never towed this way with my other truck.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #16

Hadn't thought about lowering the hitch. I currently have 8" of clearance between the bed rails and the camper which I thought wow this is pretty good. With my other truck I had to purchase a 3" lift kit for my Super Glide to increase the clearance (4"+) between the bed rails and the camper. I had gotten into some hilly situations where the trailer came in contact with the truck damaging the bed rails.
May have hit on the problem. Will remove the lift and see how she tows.
Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:38 PM   #17

8 inches is a lot. 6 should do it but you need to get the truck riding level to slightly nose down like it is without the pin weight.

I use the Goodyear bags with the wireless on-board air and with a 2K pin weight, I can put in 25-30lbs and get it back to were the truck sat prior to attaching the fiver. She rides good like that. Straight and solid. I do use a Reese Goosebox and that has suspension so I never had a rough, noisy ride. With the Goosebox, I do need to run a little more bed rail clearance over a standard 5th wheel hitch due to the increased articulation the goose gives me. i keep 7 inches over the usual 5-6.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, sway, wheel