Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #31

I tow my Puma between 55 and 60 max. I don't have no sway, but I feel the push from the trucks at times. I have noticed that I don't get with certain trucks though. Towing story, going down I-16 near Dublin, GA in September. I was at about 55 mph, and my left rear tire blew on my tv. This was my first experience, I thought later, what if I was going faster? I got everything stopped and off of the interstate with no problem. My tires on the tv had less than 14k on them, good tread. I checked the inflation before I started on the trip, had them at max. Now several factors came together, tires were manufactured in 03, probably installed in 06 because my truck is an 07 that was built in Mexico. The truck does not have many miles on it, now around 16K. Tires age got them, plus the interstate is concrete with many bumpity bumps. I was lucky that I stopped my rig with no damage to me, my dw and my puppy dog. Almost forgot to mention, last time I towed I had some wind, so I took another route to my camping destination. I have downloaded an app on my Iphone, Wind Alert>

Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
So would everyone agree with LT tires for the trailer over the ST. I have a single axle trailer.
Not everyone.

ST tires are without a doubt the way to go for your trailer in my opinion. There are many threads here that talk about WHY ST tires are made for trailers and why some manufacturers put LT tires on the big rigs (load rating).

ST tires have the internal lubricant level needed for a tire that sits for months in freezing temperatures without ever being warmed up; then run at top speed right out of the chute and folks expect them not to explode.

LT tires are designed primarily for light trucks and are designed to run frequently and long enough to warm up; cycling the internal lubricants to the surface of the rubber.

ST tires have low rolling friction tread designs for better gas mileage and life. LT tires have aggressive tread designs for traction and as such have higher coefficients of friction. Putting them on a trailer will decrease fuel economy.

ST sidewalls are made to withstand extreme sidewall stress when pivoting the trailer; LT tires are not expected to twist into a pretzel backing into a tight spot.

For these and many other reasons I recommend ST tires when a size and load rating for your camper is available.

Things to know about trailer tires

Another guy looking to switch to LT tires

I suggest giving Walter a call. He is expert when talking trailer tire safety.

Walter C. Cannon
Executive Director
RV Safety & Education Foundation
www.rvsafety.com
Ph. 321-453-7673
Fax 321-453-3853

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

What can go wrong?
Look carefully at this wreck.
Why did a sudden gust of wind ruin his day?
Attached Files

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #34

I have seen that video on U tube one of the reasons for joining the site. U think lack of proper hitch caused that. I did look like he was going very fast. Or high wind. Big trucks get blown over from time to time. We watch the weather on the phone and plan for wind. Our dealer said 35 miles per hour side wind max. I think 25 is close for my rig.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

I do.

He was pulling that giant camper with a bumper hitch with no WD OR sway control that I could see. Also even though he had a dually, it was a short WB tow vehicle and that camper was LONG.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Not everyone.

ST tires are without a doubt the way to go for your trailer in my opinion. There are many threads here that talk about WHY ST tires are made for trailers and why some manufacturers put LT tires on the big rigs (load rating).

ST tires have the internal lubricant level needed for a tire that sits for months in freezing temperatures without ever being warmed up; then run at top speed right out of the chute and folks expect them not to explode.

LT tires are designed primarily for light trucks and are designed to run frequently and long enough to warm up; cycling the internal lubricants to the surface of the rubber.

ST tires have low rolling friction tread designs for better gas mileage and life. LT tires have aggressive tread designs for traction and as such have higher coefficients of friction. Putting them on a trailer will decrease fuel economy.

ST sidewalls are made to withstand extreme sidewall stress when pivoting the trailer; LT tires are not expected to twist into a pretzel backing into a tight spot.

For these and many other reasons I recommend ST tires when a size and load rating for your camper is available.

Things to know about trailer tires

Another guy looking to switch to LT tires

I suggest giving Walter a call. He is expert when talking trailer tire safety.

Walter C. Cannon
Executive Director
Ph. 321-453-7673
Fax 321-453-3853
have u seen a ST rated tire for high way speeds. All of our turnpikes here in Okla our 75 miles per hour.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #37
Oklahoma Proud

Wow, another okie!
Now you understand were I'm coming from. We live right between tulsa & okc.

& I-40 going into the City, traffic is usually going 80+
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #38

If u do 65 they will run u over. I just found out the tires our rated for 65. I've been doing 75. Got a little time before our next long trip.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #39
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It's funny...

When I am not towing I pretty much drive at 80 MPH on the highways (our speed limit is 75 most places too). But when towing I pull at 65 max. I noticed that when pulling I enjoyed the drive more and was more relaxed.

Faster traffic will go around you. Slow down, enjoy the trip and get there safe.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #40
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
If u do 65 they will run u over. I just found out the tires our rated for 65. I've been doing 75. Got a little time before our next long trip.
In my opinion 65 is plenty fast. I stay in the slow lane when safe to do so and allow the trucks the center and the Maserati's can have the passing lane.

A high speed blow out will tick them off a lot more than a 10 mph overtake. If you are passing slower moving vehicles you need to think about who is being safer; them or you...

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW