Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #51

For those of you towing at speeds I am going to say you have never had some sort of mechanical failure or blown out a tire.......cause if you have you would never be driving that fast or putting your unit little own your family or yourself in that danger..

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #52
Oklahoma Proud

I've had tire failures on everything, from cars- semis & tractors, most happened under 65mph. I am not going to live in fear of what can happen. I'm going to keep fresh tires on my equipment(3 years max) and let God do what he will.
- As mentioned above, you can do everything right and have problems, or everything wrong and some people never have a problem. The decision is up to each one of us.

Ps. I don't see my higher speeds putting anybody in danger while I am at those speeds, if condition require, than my speeds will change. Have been in trucking- time is money, and safety is money too. Some drivers can feel before a tire cuts loose, an stop before its a safety hazard.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #53

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #54
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I've had tire failures on everything, from cars- semis & tractors, most happened under 65mph. I am not going to live in fear of what can happen. I'm going to keep fresh tires on my equipment(3 years max) and let God do what he will.
- As mentioned above, you can do everything right and have problems, or everything wrong and some people never have a problem. The decision is up to each one of us.

Ps. I don't see my higher speeds putting anybody in danger while I am at those speeds, if condition require, than my speeds will change. Have been in trucking- time is money, and safety is money too. Some drivers can feel before a tire cuts loose, an stop before its a safety hazard.
Time is money. But trucks should not be allowed to speed. It should be similar to us on the railroad. Level 1 is 1 to 2 mph over for 5 mins, level 2 and 3 is 3 to 9mph over for 1 minute. Level 4 decertification is 10mph+ for 1 second.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #55
Oklahoma Proud

Yep, that sux. You never know when its your time.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #56
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post

Time is money. But trucks should not be allowed to speed. It should be similar to us on the railroad. Level 1 is 1 to 2 mph over for 5 mins, level 2 and 3 is 3 to 9mph over for 1 minute. Level 4 decertification is 10mph+ for 1 second.
I'm not talking about speeding, as mentioned before, our speed limits are 70 & 75 mph on our interstates so doing so is legal.

I currently work in the collision industry, so I see more of all of this, what can and does happen than many. Everyday I'm reminded that its completely up to the Man Upstairs, if you follow the rules set before you.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #57
daydreaming about camping

I actually switched my boat trailer to green ball towmaster tires as they have a higher speed rating, and I wanted to be able to tow at legal speed limit of 70. I will probably put those tires on our TT at some point.

In correct conditions, I have no worries pulling at 70. Not on a windy day to be sure. I will slow down to 65, then 60, then 55, then just stop and have a really long lunch and wait for the weather to improve. nothing, not missing a day of work, day of vacation, or anything else is worth more than my families safety.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #58

A feature on our 2013 Silverado TV is Trailer Sway Control which senses when the TT starts to sway and automatically applies the truck’s brakes while reducing engine power. Haven't experienced this feature to know how well it senses/works however seems to be a good feature especially given the experience/videos on this thread.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:21 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Three years ago, I had a TT pulled by a Chevy Avalanche. Did everything right. Good equalizer hitch, properly adjusted. Tires all carefully checked. Checked weather report. High winds predicted late in the day, but calmer in morning as we started out. Cruising on I-94 in Northern Indiana at about 65mph. Went under a bridge on a curve, and caught a wind gust. Trailer began to sway. Fought to control. Tried to apply trailer brakes manually.

Ended up leaving the highway. As the truck came to rest in the shallow (thankfully) ditch, the trailer rolled on its side. Took 4 large tow trucks 4 hours to recover the pieces. Total destruction. Only the stability control system on the truck saved us from rolling also. Driver behind us said truck rear wheel came off the ground at one point.

As I have reflected on the crash since then, there was only one thing I could have done differently. SLOW DOWN.

DW will never ride with a trailer again. After two years, finally got her to agree to a small MH on one condition -that I never exceed 60mph. We have had an enjoyable year and have gotten everywhere we wanted to safely. I don't mind that 90% of the vehicles on the interstate pass us. The extra speed is just not worth the risk.
X2 Jim
Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #60

I tow a wrkss30 v-lite with a Nissan Titan LE with the big tow package. My tt is approx 6500+ pounds with approx 1000 lbs of gear. I first notice a little swaying at speeds near 60 mph and of course anytime a tractor trailer passes you or a cross wind hits you. My hitch set-up came with one friction bar. I added a second sway bar and it helped some but, be careful not to over tighten because it can effect the turning capabilities of your tow unit (not fun on a curvy road). It also turns heads when you pull into a gas station and it sounds like the tow unit is on its last leg because of all the noise it makes. Another idea is to slow down and enjoy the journey. Be safe and have fun.