Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #1

Swaying in high wind

I just got back from Destin Fl . 800 miles one way from Tulsa ok. It pulled real well but in high wind over 20 side wind. I would have to slow down to 55 to feel in control of the trailer. Have a sway and weight hitch. Will a Hensley Cub Anti-Sway Trailer Hitch help that. They price to me today for 1395.00 for the hole set up. Any thought would help thanks.
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You'll need to provide a little more info about your camper, tow vehicle and your hitch. How do you know that the hitch is properly optimized now?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #3

well I've worked with hitch a lot to get it to drive good. the trailer is a 2013 Salem 20 foot weighs 3000 dry weight. The Jeep is a 2006 Liberty Diesel. When I picked the trailer up in oct the height of the hitch was off. They didn't have the sway set at all. The bars was set in the wrong loop on the chain. I think the just though it together. So I learned a little here and there about the trailer hitch. It pulls real good 65-75 miles per hour up hill down hill. But when the wind in blowing hard just have to slow down. It worse when big truck pass in high winds.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

What hitch is it? Does it have integrated sway control or separate anti-sway bars?

Dave

Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #5

Standard Friction Sway Control has the thing on the side with a break pad. I've Thought about adding another one on the other side.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

That would be a cheap and easy trial to see if that improves the sway control enough for you.

Perhaps some other member who has towed with both the integrated sway control verses separate sway bars could comment on the comparison of both set ups. It would be interesting to know in intregrated sway control is more or less effective.

Dave

Old 01-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
well I've worked with hitch a lot to get it to drive good. the trailer is a 2013 Salem 20 foot weighs 3000 dry weight. The Jeep is a 2006 Liberty Diesel. When I picked the trailer up in oct the height of the hitch was off. They didn't have the sway set at all. The bars was set in the wrong loop on the chain. I think the just though it together. So I learned a little here and there about the trailer hitch. It pulls real good 65-75 miles per hour up hill down hill. But when the wind in blowing hard just have to slow down. It worse when big truck pass in high winds.

Here in California we are limited to 55 mph when towing so your 75 mph is much faster than I used to. I have a 20' Salem TT (3200 dry wt) and have only tow it with a Yukon or my Tundra but have yet to experience any effects from big trucks....maybe its our slower speed. Hopefully others will be able to provide the feedback you need.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
Commercial Member

If it was that windy, then you need to slow down anyway......

Wind at high speeds hitting a "rolling billboard" will move any set up.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #9

Quote:
I want to hear more about the grade of the Hill that you were able to go up at 75 MPH with a Little Jeep Diesel! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #10

I would be somewhat concerned about the tires at 75mph
vp22er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #11

Over the years of pulling various types of trailers I realized, which is nothing new but you always try to push your equipment to the limit, it does not just come down to a hitch. It is a combination of the type of hitch, size of your trailer to the tw vehicles tow capability, how your trailer is loaded, how your tw is loaded, tires. You need to evaluate every inch of your combination from the front of the tw bumper to the rear bumper of your trailer. Sometimes it might be your tw tires, do you have passenger tires or light truck tires. But having to slow down to 55 mph with a 20 mph wind sounds like you don't have a problem, sounds normal to me. If your trailer does not have any sway issues any other time, like passing vehicles(trucks) imo it would not be worth it to change anything.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Not to get up on a soap box or anything, but towing with a jeep at 65-75?

Slow down and live longer.

The trailers ST tires are maxed out at 65.
Over spinning them will separate the belts.
The blowout will come when you least expect it and be very violent at 75 MPH especially since you will not have the tow vehicle wheel base to keep the Jeep shiny side up..

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
1st of all, I will have to agree with vp22er, that 75 mpg is too fast !! Trailer tires are rated for a top speed of 65 mph. Even without the tire limits, someone driving a small SUV with a 104" wheelbase pulling a conventional upright 20' travel trailer needs to be extra diligent....that means slow down and drive safely.

I haven't seen any reference to the Salem model. Looking at the avatar, it appears to have a high window in the rear, which many times indicates a bunk house. Bunk house trailers indicate kids, which adds up to more weight in the passenger compartment with their presence, along with extra camping gear for them.

IMHO, the 1st thing needed to be done here is to load up the camper, the family, and all camping gear and head to a CAT scale. 3 times across the scales will give you all sorts of information. Once with the camper and Liberty as it is setup to go down the road. Another weight with the spring bars unhooked. And a 3rd weight with just the Liberty. All passengers need to stay in their seats for all 3 weights.

The Liberty GVWR should noted on the driver's door, along with the 2 axle weight ratings. None of these figures should be exceeded, with the camper hooked up and the spring bars in place.

The Liberty front axle weight should be about the same with trailer with spring bars attached, and the Liberty without the trailer. That will show you if the WDH is setup correctly. If the WDH is not setup correctly that can cause sway.

An immediate fix that may work is to add a 2nd friction sway bar. The better solution would be to go with a WDH that has integrated sway control, such as the Equal-i-zer 4 pt, Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, Blue Ox Sway Pro, or the Anderson Hitch. The best solution might be going with the Hensley Arrow or ProPride hitch.

Update: Lou posted while I was composing this, but again suggested to slow down !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #14

I am new to RVing so I can't speak from experience. I have however, researched a lot about travel trailers and hitch systems. I would say that MTNGUY has provided some very good advice on getting actual weights.
I have also decided to install a Hensley Cub on my new trailer. Overkill? Maybe, but I have not read a single owner of a Hensley say they regret buying it. I firmly believe that they have the best hitch system on the market (Hensley or Propride - same difference). Expensive? you bet. When added to the price of the new trailer not really significant.

I rode an expensive motorcycle for many years and would always laugh at the guys that had 20-30K in a bike and wanted to find a $2 oil filter to fit it. Doesn't make sense to me but hey to each his own.

I have personally talked with 3 other Hensley owners and read post from many more. They all say until you pull withone, you can't believe the difference.

I will also add that I think even with a Hensley, You still need to use a little caution when towing. The best hitch still does not replace common sense.
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

After reading the post by Indymule, the Hensley Cub would probably be a better fit than the Arrow for a 20' trailer. I didn't even realize that there was a Hensley hitch made for smaller trailers.

Thanks for the info, Indymule.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Site Team

there are 3 issues i see:
1. Jeep Liberty as tow vehicle, extremely short wheelbase
2. cheap friction sway bar WDH
3. going WAAYY too fast with that iffy combo

if you aren't going to get a bigger TV, then get a decent WDH with built-in sway control. or go for the Hensley, which is a good choice for short wheelbase TV's.
and SLOW DOWN!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #17

I have to second most of the opinions on here. I also urge you not to be offended by the comments made. No one likes to be told what they are doing is essentially "not smart", but the advice given here is sound and should be heeded. The first thing that I thought when reading the OP was that the wheelbase of a Liberty is VERY short. Think leverage- much harder to cause a longer wheelbase vehicle to sway. Also, 75 is too fast. I will admit that I have come close to that cruising down a hill and not monitoring my speed closely enough- but I immediately bring it back down to 65. I think you would notice a huge difference by going with a higher quality hitch, but it doesn't negate the advice to slow down and stay within your TV's limits.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #18
Engineer of Crazy Train

I also tow with a Jeep Liberty CRD. This summer, I towed a 24 ft Amerilite and I am currently closing the deal on a Roo 21BH.

I mentioned to the OP in another forum that anything over 65 is way too fast. IMHO, 60 is a good top speed granted that the conditions are right. I actually got my transmission tuned to not shift into 2nd OD until 65.

As far as the sway, 4 things. 1 is speed. 2 is good WDH setup. 3 is proper loading and weights. 4 is better TV tires (I got rid of the stock cheap goodyear 225/75R16 and replacing them with a quality 245/70R16). The last is mainly takes out the squirming the stock cheap tires have.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #19

I heard that concern with the tires. I going to replace them before my next long trip. It really pulls very well in the hills in Arkansas. I haven't been in the mountains with it. But it's not stock either. Is this Hensley Cub Anti-Sway Trailer Hitch worth 1395.00 or even able to help with sway. Thanks for all your help with the hitch and the setup. Still learning need all the help thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #20

ChooChooMan74 I've seen your posts on Lost. Thanks for your help. Trailer Tires are next on the list for sure.