Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #21

It is not the CAN it be done (has been done by many) or if the warranty will be voided (any mod done to structure will void a warranty) but will it be safe. Not so much safe for the tower but for the towee. How does this differ? If YOU are towing something, you are the tower. If you are struck or injured by something that has been broken apart, cobbled together, engineered to a pretty safe structure but not a factory item then you are towee.
Towee usually sues the Tower. Towee usually walks away from the situation (if possible) with everything the Tower has. Tower can possibly live a few years, at state expense, in his/her own little 5x8 room with a bunk mate.
Yes, I know, "I'll be safe, UPS/FEDEX double tow all the time", yadda yadda blah. Do you really NEED all that crap? Are you out to "Bring more than the other guy"? Will you really use the boat, golf cart, extra mother-in-law suite enough to add the expense of 2-4 more tires on the ground, extra fuel to drag it all around, maintenance for the extra axles and bearings, having to use "pull through only" because you ain't gonna back that sucker up. Where are you going to store it when not using it? Can every park you go to handle it? The list is way too long and I am getting tired of watching people re-engineer and try to do things really at the peril of others on the road. Just stay away from me or at least have some kind of warning system so others know to avoid the traffic jam you cause.
Now if this doesn't cause a major temper flare, I have failed in the amusement column. Ha!
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
It is not the CAN it be done (has been done by many) or if the warranty will be voided (any mod done to structure will void a warranty) but will it be safe. Not so much safe for the tower but for the towee. How does this differ? If YOU are towing something, you are the tower. If you are struck or injured by something that has been broken apart, cobbled together, engineered to a pretty safe structure but not a factory item then you are towee.
Towee usually sues the Tower. Towee usually walks away from the situation (if possible) with everything the Tower has. Tower can possibly live a few years, at state expense, in his/her own little 5x8 room with a bunk mate.
Yes, I know, "I'll be safe, UPS/FEDEX double tow all the time", yadda yadda blah. Do you really NEED all that crap? Are you out to "Bring more than the other guy"? Will you really use the boat, golf cart, extra mother-in-law suite enough to add the expense of 2-4 more tires on the ground, extra fuel to drag it all around, maintenance for the extra axles and bearings, having to use "pull through only" because you ain't gonna back that sucker up. Where are you going to store it when not using it? Can every park you go to handle it? The list is way too long and I am getting tired of watching people re-engineer and try to do things really at the peril of others on the road. Just stay away from me or at least have some kind of warning system so others know to avoid the traffic jam you cause.
Now if this doesn't cause a major temper flare, I have failed in the amusement column. Ha!
I think in op ' s post on another thread he said it would be "short trips" I'd say if short trips tow it with another vehicle.

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #23
Site Team

The site team has done a cleanup on this thread once. Please keep the posts limited to the topic at hand.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #24

Turbs,
The pictures that you posted. Was there a towed trailer behind that 5th wheel or evidence of a rear hitch?
You stated that towing double adds weight to the pin box. That is not necessarily true. As hitching up the 2nd trailer will remove vertical weight off of the pin box, you are adding horizontal weight from the added tow weight of the 2nd trailer.
Tow lengths don't matter as every state offers overlength permits at a reasonable price. Such as TX is $120 for a 30 day permit up to 110ft.
Mattpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattpopp View Post
Turbs,
The pictures that you posted. Was there a towed trailer behind that 5th wheel or evidence of a rear hitch?
You stated that towing double adds weight to the pin box. That is not necessarily true. As hitching up the 2nd trailer will remove vertical weight off of the pin box, you are adding horizontal weight from the added tow weight of the 2nd trailer.
Tow lengths don't matter as every state offers overlength permits at a reasonable price. Such as TX is $120 for a 30 day permit up to 110ft.
What i meant if it wasn't clear was there's more "pulling" stress on the pin box .
The last pic was from pulling a trailer "I'm told"
These pin box's are designed and rated ONLY to pull the camper.

TURBS
Old 02-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #26

So if the pin box is the concern then that is a simple fix. replace the box with a higher rating.

One thing on my old Cyclone. As you transferred the weight to the pickup, you could watch the entire pin box assembly move about 1/2". Never sure if that was normal but it seemed to be alot of flex in that chassis. I never towed doubles with it as well.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
So if the pin box is the concern then that is a simple fix. replace the box with a higher rating.

One thing on my old Cyclone. As you transferred the weight to the pickup, you could watch the entire pin box assembly move about 1/2". Never sure if that was normal but it seemed to be alot of flex in that chassis. I never towed doubles with it as well.
Have @ it ! [emoji12]

TURBS
Old 02-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
So if the pin box is the concern then that is a simple fix. replace the box with a higher rating...
Easy to replace the pinbox, that's very true, but you will find it a little more difficult to increase the structural integrity of the super structure of the trailer frame.

Of course you can do what you please as it is your trailer, but you ask for suggestions/advice and don't want to take it, but, you are playing with fire my friend.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #29

I did not ask for suggestion but this has always been a curious subject for me. As I see it often at teh ATV parks. Usually a lighter made 5th pulling doubles but to they are a lighter trailer as well.

But I am surprised a RV manufacturer has not built a purpose made 5th wheel to tow double trailers. Because for somebody like myself the doubles suit me more then a Toy hauler. As nobody builds a Toy Hauler that can fit my RZR 1k. Due to the height is the issue. I need a regular 5th wheel more then I need a Toy Hauler. The other I do not like the floor plans of 95% of the toy haulers as well.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #30

Might sent transamz9 a email for first hand data.

Forest River Forums - View Profile: transamz9http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...9/SANY0186.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0186.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	70210  
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #31
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Easy to replace the pinbox, that's very true, but you will find it a little more difficult to increase the structural integrity of the super structure of the trailer frame.

Of course you can do what you please as it is your trailer, but you ask for suggestions/advice and don't want to take it, but, you are playing with fire my friend.
Yep!!
Changing the pin box will only "expose" the next weak point structurally. You would need to have a unit specifically made to tandem haul.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #32

I tow a BBQ pit that weighs about 2500 behind our Wildcat quite a bit with no trouble. Around here the RV dealers would lose a lot of sales if you couldn't tow a boat behind a 5er. Heck, people tow jetskis and golf carts behind TT's too. You need to have a competent welder install the hitch and not use one of those bolt on deals. I live on a highway that leads to the Missouri River. I would say that on any given weekend during the summer 60 to 70% of the 5er going by have a decent size boat behind them just like in the pic posted above. Backing up is not an issue as when you get where you're going you drop the boat and park the RV, then grab the boat with your pickup and you're good to go. It's your call though.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #33

I agree with fast murray as 5th wheel tandem towing is very popular in Michigan and is legal up to a certain length with a drivers license endorsement. That is the main reason a majority of my friends and family choose 5th wheels over travel trailers. Comments have been made that adding a factory hitch will void the warranty. That may not be true across the board. Other manufacturers such as Jayco and KZ offer factory/and or dealer installed hitches as I noticed a few at a recent rv show I attended. My father in law's Cardinal by Forest River had a factory hitch option that was installed by the dealer after the purchase. I think the key may be either factory installed or dealer installed as a factory option.
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
I agree with fast murray as 5th wheel tandem towing is very popular in Michigan and is legal up to a certain length with a drivers license endorsement. That is the main reason a majority of my friends and family choose 5th wheels over travel trailers. Comments have been made that adding a factory hitch will void the warranty. That may not be true across the board. Other manufacturers such as Jayco and KZ offer factory/and or dealer installed hitches as I noticed a few at a recent rv show I attended. My father in law's Cardinal by Forest River had a factory hitch option that was installed by the dealer after the purchase. I think the key may be either factory installed or dealer installed as a factory option.
I tow tandem in Michigan. In Michigan the total length allowed is 75 feet and the Hitch on the back of the 5th wheel must be attached to the frame. Be aware that most hitches installed from the factory are for Bike racks and utility carriers only. This is what I bought and installed on mine CURT Manufacturing - CURT RV Trailer Hitch #13703 . Although its rated for 3500 pounds so a 4500 pound boat is out of the question, My 18 foot speed boat is 3300. I haven't tried it out yet because I put it on at the end of the summer but I did try it haulind two quads on a trailer and it worked great. I bought mine new for 260.00 with shipping. Money well spent...
2003 F-350 SRW V-10 3:73 gears
Knightrider955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #35

If I decide to double tow this is the hitch or close to it that I would build. It is not the actual dimensions it is just something I threw together on Sketch Up. But non of the hitches that you can buy seem that stout. I would weld this directly on to the chassis unless there is already adequate holes in the frame to bolt it

Old 03-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #36

I changed it up a bit to stiffen it some more. Added some bridging across the 2x2 tubing and gussets to tie all together

Tags
towing