Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Palle man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 10
Tandem towing

Just bought a new Sabre silhouette. It's a 2015. The model is 291bhts. Does anyone have any experiance towing a boat behind this model? Our boat weights about 4500 with the trailer and has two axles. Any input is greatly appreciated!
__________________

__________________
Palle man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
thebrakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, Michigan
Posts: 1,105
Nobody can even hope to help you without information about your tow vehicle. And even then, the legality will depend on what state you live in, and will tow thru. Fill out your signature lines with your truck info and location.

In general, that sounds like a lot of boat to be hanging off the end of a camper, even if your truck can handle the total combined weight (?).
__________________

__________________
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palle man View Post
Just bought a new Sabre silhouette. It's a 2015. The model is 291bhts. Does anyone have any experiance towing a boat behind this model? Our boat weights about 4500 with the trailer and has two axles. Any input is greatly appreciated!
This is a Question best answered by the (Factory) they are the one to make the Call! Please reply what the (Factory) says,NOT the Salesman! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Nobody can even hope to help you without information about your tow vehicle. And even then, the legality will depend on what state you live in, and will tow thru. Fill out your signature lines with your truck info and location.

In general, that sounds like a lot of boat to be hanging off the end of a camper, even if your truck can handle the total combined weight (?).
Don't think he is asking whether his truck will pull it, just as to whether the trailer will handle hooking a boat trailer to it.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
And as I've already stated the factory says NO!
I'll even show the email.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Directly from sabre.

From me,
Xxxx, does sabre even remotely allow a trailer of any kind to be towed behind a sabre 5th wheel in sabre or silhouette form?

Ron

From sabre,
No, If any alterations are done to the frame it can and will void any warranty coverage that the customer may have.



Thanks
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
avolnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 630
I could honestly care less what the factory says about it, of course it will void the warranty... pretty much any modification voids any warranty on just about everything...

Many automakers void vehicle warranties with the use of a snow plow, but many continue to do it...

My awning warranty as well as many others have been voided by the modification of adding awning supports, yet it continues to be done by more and more folk...

The reason the manufactures of campers are voiding warranties is that they haven't spent the time to verify whether or not their campers can truly support the additional stress and weight of an additional trailer.

Many people shy away from this topic feeling that it is dangerous. Fact of the matter is that it can be dangerous, but it can be done safely as well. It would be up to yourself or for you to find someone else competent enough to verify whether or not this could be done safely and correctly in your scenario...

welding additional bracing and brackets to your existing frame may or may not feasible...
__________________

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
I could honestly care less what the factory says about it, of course it will void the warranty... pretty much any modification voids any warranty on just about everything...

Many automakers void vehicle warranties with the use of a snow plow, but many continue to do it...

My awning warranty as well as many others have been voided by the modification of adding awning supports, yet it continues to be done by more and more folk...

The reason the manufactures of campers are voiding warranties is that they haven't spent the time to verify whether or not their campers can truly support the additional stress and weight of an additional trailer.

Many people shy away from this topic feeling that it is dangerous. Fact of the matter is that it can be dangerous, but it can be done safely as well. It would be up to yourself or for you to find someone else competent enough to verify whether or not this could be done safely and correctly in your scenario...

welding additional bracing and brackets to your existing frame may or may not feasible...
the problem is the pin box.
IT IS not designed to pull the additional weight.
Might as well tear it all apart as well and stiffen it up while ur at it!
Awning modifications most likely won't kill anyone.
Broken pin box or frame quite possibly will if not caught.

TURBS
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
avolnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 630
Can you verify that Turbs? They all appear to be an industry standard for the most part installed in an industry standard fashion...
__________________

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424459403937.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	69956Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424459411302.jpeg
Views:	499
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	69957
Name:   uploadfromtaptalk1424459417437.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  112.3 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424459423427.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	69959

turbs
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
towing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.